Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,470,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
  • Most importantly....the Prius has very little power to begin with. Am I seriously to believe that this car not only accelerated to 94 mph but its own brakes couldn't arrest the speed? Please.
I agree with your other points. However, although the Prius has a small engine, the 2nd generation Prius has a top speed of over 100 miles per hour.

If modified (a lot!), it can go considerably faster. See: Green Car Congress: Landspeed Prius Hits 130.794 mph at Bonneville

I don't know whether this jerk was actually going 94, but a Prius can go that fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 07:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,852,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I agree with your other points. However, although the Prius has a small engine, the 2nd generation Prius has a top speed of over 100 miles per hour.

If modified (a lot!), it can go considerably faster. See: Green Car Congress: Landspeed Prius Hits 130.794 mph at Bonneville

I don't know whether this jerk was actually going 94, but a Prius can go that fast.
Very true. I've driven a lot of 2nd gen Prius' and had a couple to 90+ on the highway before. The car is capable of that speed, but it doesn't like doing it at all. The engine is really struggling once you get over 85 or so. It kind of sounds like a squirrel stuck in a lawn mower...

Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,297,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Well it was just on the news, this guy is full of crap. I knew it was a pile... His backround of repo's, insurance claims, $700K in debt, should have been enough. All tests and the computer in the car prove th guy is full of it. What a genius.
As much as I dislike the way Toyota has handled the whole throttle sticking issue I'm glad this case was exposed. This guy is an opportunist.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 AM

415 posts, read 1,784,667 times
What are they supposed to do? Beg for mercy because they've been the victims of multiple hoaxes and most likely an organized conspiracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
As much as I dislike the way Toyota has handled the whole throttle sticking issue I'm glad this case was exposed. This guy is an opportunist.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:28 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,948,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
because there is NOTHING wrong with the Toyotas in question..

Old 03-16-2010, 11:57 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,297,381 times
^Exactly.

This model isn't even on the list of vehicles they are concerned with.

In this case this guy tried to use the fact that Toyota is in the news over some of their models having throttle control issues in a scam to pry some money away from them.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:37 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,228,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
What are they supposed to do? Beg for mercy because they've been the victims of multiple hoaxes and most likely an organized conspiracy?
Organized conspiracy? What the heck? Does it tie in with 9/11? Can we make it tie in?

Old 03-16-2010, 05:10 PM

890 posts, read 3,712,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Organized conspiracy? What the heck? Does it tie in with 9/11? Can we make it tie in?
There is no conspiracy but there are those out there who believe that this is all a ploy devised by the government so GM and Chrysler's sales will go up. Some have even said all the people claiming unintended acceleration in Toyota and Lexus cars are actually government employees.

The things people can just make up makes me laugh my arse off.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:14 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,949,044 times
Quote:
this is all a ploy devised by the government so GM and Chrysler's sales will go up. Some have even said all the people claiming unintended acceleration in Toyota and Lexus cars are actually government employees.
I believe that is the definition of a conspiracy

Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 PM

211 posts, read 643,086 times
Quote:
There is no conspiracy but there are those out there who believe that this is all a ploy devised by the government so GM and Chrysler's sales will go up. Some have even said all the people claiming unintended acceleration in Toyota and Lexus cars are actually government employees.

The things people can just make up makes me laugh my arse off.
Agreed. And if this were a true conspiracy, it would be a failure, much like GM's business practices for the last 20 years. Detroit offers cash incentives to clueless Toyota owners, trying to lure them onto the lots, but now Toyota fires back with incentives of their own.

The difference is, Toyota still has the money to cover such bets and can still make a profit while selling cars at discount prices. How does GM expect to play ball, given they were taking about a $7000 loss on every vehicle sold last year (prior to bailout)? They won't. All their talk of "May the best car win" just went right down the toilet, because any lobbying they might have done to put pressure on Toyota just shifted the game right back to price wars and a race to the bottom. Now they'll have to sell on price, which means they'll cut more corners, and, as I've said a number of times now, Toyota will go right back to selling more cars than anyone else on the planet.

I'd welcome a conspiracy. A real conspiracy would suggest that politicians, lobbyists, and big business tycoons actually had some sort of diabolical plan, executed said plan, and realized some sort of ill-gotten gains. As it stands, most of the financial and economic ruin comes from blind greed and ignorance.

But hey, man, get it any way you can, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion