Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 01:37 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,802,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
He was doing what I say. Draggin em till they burned up..
Except, according to Toyota stated in the same article, you can't do that on a Prius.

The guy who was driving the car definitely seems like a tool, OK a whole tool bag. Regardless of that there are still a lot of question marks surrounding this episode and the whole thing in general.

We'll just have to wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 02:57 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,627,362 times
Like some of us figured from the get go, this guy was out for some easy money. Hope the cops come down hard on him.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Like some of us figured from the get go, this guy was out for some easy money. Hope the cops come down hard on him.
And I hope Toyota sues him for defamation. He obviously cost Toyota some sales--it will just be hard to prove how much.

I can't believe everyone is still buying into this BS--Toyota's are the best built cars on the road today and for the past 20 years.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,925,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Except, according to Toyota stated in the same article, you can't do that on a Prius.

The guy who was driving the car definitely seems like a tool, OK a whole tool bag. Regardless of that there are still a lot of question marks surrounding this episode and the whole thing in general.

We'll just have to wait and see.
well if he was only going 90 mph it was no where near wide open.. so he can indeed drag his brakes while partial throttle.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
well if he was only going 90 mph it was no where near wide open.. so he can indeed drag his brakes while partial throttle.
This has nothing to do with wide open throttle. The Prius is designed so that if the accelerator and brakes are pressed together the brakes take precedent, so there is no way he could have had the accelerator engaged and brakes engaged at the same time.

I know this "actor's" story is a hoax, but so might the CHIP's story of smelling burning brakes.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,925,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
This has nothing to do with wide open throttle. The Prius is designed so that if the accelerator and brakes are pressed together the brakes take precedent, so there is no way he could have had the accelerator engaged and brakes engaged at the same time.

I know this "actor's" story is a hoax, but so might the CHIP's story of smelling burning brakes.
even partial throttle. It would seem to me that they may be allowable in a prius? Can anyone verify for sure? I though it was only wot and brake same time....

Old 03-13-2010, 07:32 AM

874 posts, read 2,880,215 times
I had said early on that it is possible that this guy is a scam artist. I was simply trying to find out if it is possible for the systems in this car to fail due to a computer problem. It does appear that, at least in the 2010 model, the transmission, throttle pedal and "on/off" switch are controlled through the computer. I have read in a few different sources that the brake pedal is drive (or brake) by wire as well. I can be wrong but this is how it appears to me so far from what I have read.

Even if all of these systems run off of the same computer I find the fact that the heated brakes were smelling to be of more proof that the individual is lying. Why? As previously noted in earlier posts, I currently own a heavily modified 1968 Chrysler and have owned many other heavily modified vehicles in the past. Unless you have a car with some really serious horsepower you have to work on keeping a burn out going by letting off of the brake and hitting the brake again during the burn out to keep it going or else the brakes will stop the burn out. This Prius is not a car with serious horsepower so even if at WOT the brakes should at least be slowing that car down. Would they smoke? Of course. But I see no reason why they would not slow the car down at all when a driver initially starts standing on them.

As someone else had said, time will tell and we will have to see what happens but driving as long as this guy did supposedly hitting the brakes so hard and the pads actually grabbing the rotors (which definitely happened due to the fact that people smelled the brakes) I would have to imagine that the rotors would heat up so much that they should warp and those brake pads should be completely destroyed. If this were a car with drum brakes such as my old Newport, the brake fade from the heat could get so bad that the brakes will not stop the car under such abuse but I happen to have been in a number of vehicle pursuits at high speeds where the brakes were smoking and experienced very little brake fade with the disc brakes. I find it hard to believe that this guy was standing on the brakes the whole time and it did not slow the car down at all while the brake pads were actually making contact with the rotors. Now, with the time this guy was driving with the brakes fully depressed I would have to think that eventually the brakes would experience some severe fade or perhaps will not work at all if a person deliberately wanted this to happen from the beginning. By this I mean that if someone drove to 90 mph and slammed the brakes while depressing the throttle to the floor, brought it to 90 again and slammed the brakes with the throttle pedal to the floor and kept doing this at some point the fade could get so bad that the vehicle will not slow down but I really think someone would have to work hard at doing this. These are all things that the people that will be going through this car will be able to determine.

I still am lead to believe that it is POSSIBLE for what this guy is saying happened can happen IF the transmission, throttle and power button are all controlled by the same computer but the issue with the brakes not doing anything FROM THE BEGINNING is definitely sounding a bit strange. As stated, at wide open throttle and hitting the brakes the vehicle probably will not come to a complete stop but it should definitely slow down a good amount. I did not hear anything about this guy saying this car slowed down at any point during this incident until the end.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,867,556 times
This guy can't control a whimpy azz prius on a wide open freeway? Let's see the throttle is stuck wide open, but I'm scared to stand on the brakes and regain control of the car, I make a cell phone call to the police for help and wont put the car in nuetral even after the police dispatcher tells him to cause he's scared of losing control of the whimpy azz prius, Some people should not drive a car if you cab't see the BS with this you shouldn't be driving. How hard is it to mash the brakes and throw the car in nuetral, now don't get me wrong Toyota should have there azzes sued if the throttle is stuck open especialy after the recall, no excuses for them either. If they can't build cars any better than this they need to get out of the business and I could care less how many they've made or how long they last. No Excuse for this .

Old 03-13-2010, 11:27 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,644,390 times
This incident reminded me why I walked away from a successful business and turned it over to my manager years ago for free. I was sued about once a week for years. Not worth the health problems from worry. Only in America can people bring a sham lawsuit and ruin a business.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
This guy can't control a whimpy azz prius on a wide open freeway? Let's see the throttle is stuck wide open, but I'm scared to stand on the brakes and regain control of the car, I make a cell phone call to the police for help and wont put the car in nuetral even after the police dispatcher tells him to cause he's scared of losing control of the whimpy azz prius, Some people should not drive a car if you cab't see the BS with this you shouldn't be driving. How hard is it to mash the brakes and throw the car in nuetral, now don't get me wrong Toyota should have there azzes sued if the throttle is stuck open especialy after the recall, no excuses for them either. If they can't build cars any better than this they need to get out of the business and I could care less how many they've made or how long they last. No Excuse for this .
Don't forget this guy also owns a Corvette and is part of a Corvette Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion