Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 05:57 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'll give you a pass, but I found it to be a poor choice of words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
I work in a hotel and any hotelier would cite the innkeeper's bill of rights to you, which states that a hotel is only liable for stolen items that were left in a safe. Generally, when we have a stolen item claim, we pass the info on to our insurance company and they do a complete report and investigation on what happened. If you were a guest in my hotel and told me that you left an item in your room that has since disappeared, I would say sorry and put it nicely that you are SOL. How do we know that this charger was there? It wasn't our fault you left the charger in the room.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,672 times
What do I do in this situation. I am currently at a 4 star hotel in Chicago. Its my third night here. I originally paid for and booked two nights. Today, I decided to stay another night, I paid for and asked the front desk if I could keep the same room. They said yes. I left the hotel for a few hours in the afternoon to do some work. I came back and the entire room was cleaned out. All of my belongings vanished, the bed was made and bathroom cleaned. I called the front desk, they transferred me to housekeeping where the manager there admitted the staff took all my belongings from my dental floss to my digital tape recorder, because obviously, the room I paid for for the evening was now vacant.

She proceeded to tell me they THREW AWAY 99% of my belongings. She repeatedly told me the hotel staff member was doing exactly as she had been told. What kind of nonsense excuse was that? What kind of management does that?!?!?! They returned to me my umbrella, my phone charger and my digital recorder. Everything else including a CD with my personal confidential information ...gone.

They then called security who was some 20 something kid with a 3 inch steno pad to take notes about what happened. They refused to give me a written copy of the security guard and housekeeping staff's report. I called the police and they stated its a civil matter since the hotel staff member acknowledges it was the hotels fault. Supposedly management is calling the insurance company in the morning. I am livid and feel completely violated. This is surreal. What should I do?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:24 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Just think, the poor maid probably only spoke some Mexican Indigenous language and needed to sell the laptop charger because she had four kids at home to feed.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Just think, the poor maid probably only spoke some Mexican Indigenous language and needed to sell the laptop charger because she had four kids at home to feed.
This was absolutely uncalled for.

Ask to speak to the hotel manager.
They'll take care of it.
If your items were disposed of, I don't know what you can do except have them reimburse you for them.
There was a glitch in the hotel desk telling the cleaning staff that you were retaining the room.

Have you contacted the manager?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlerlilac View Post
What do I do in this situation. I am currently at a 4 star hotel in Chicago. Its my third night here. I originally paid for and booked two nights. Today, I decided to stay another night, I paid for and asked the front desk if I could keep the same room. They said yes. I left the hotel for a few hours in the afternoon to do some work. I came back and the entire room was cleaned out. All of my belongings vanished, the bed was made and bathroom cleaned. I called the front desk, they transferred me to housekeeping where the manager there admitted the staff took all my belongings from my dental floss to my digital tape recorder, because obviously, the room I paid for for the evening was now vacant.

She proceeded to tell me they THREW AWAY 99% of my belongings. She repeatedly told me the hotel staff member was doing exactly as she had been told. What kind of nonsense excuse was that? What kind of management does that?!?!?! They returned to me my umbrella, my phone charger and my digital recorder. Everything else including a CD with my personal confidential information ...gone.

They then called security who was some 20 something kid with a 3 inch steno pad to take notes about what happened. They refused to give me a written copy of the security guard and housekeeping staff's report. I called the police and they stated its a civil matter since the hotel staff member acknowledges it was the hotels fault. Supposedly management is calling the insurance company in the morning. I am livid and feel completely violated. This is surreal. What should I do?
I would look up the name of the CEO and contact his office. That is entirely unacceptable. I'd also like to know which hotel it is so I can avoid every booking a room there. I would also demand to get cash reimbursement on the spot to replace all of the missing articles and the cost of credit monitoring for the next two years. Don't take no for an answer, just keep climbing the ladder. And let them know you'll be contacting the Conde Nast Ombudsman--that should get them to be more cooperative.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
I called the police and they stated its a civil matter since the hotel staff member acknowledges it was the hotels fault. Supposedly management is calling the insurance company in the morning.
Quote:
What should I do?
You calm the hell down. If this just happened, you have to give them the chance to make it right! If you get into a car accident do you expect and demand your insurance company show up with a mobile repair center and get your car fixed while the police are taking a report? Just take a step back and breath because while all hyoped up, you may do or say something that hurts and not helps.

I agree you need to ask for the head of that hotel and speak with them CALMLY about the situation. If they don't help, you call their corporate office and CALMLY get to someone who can help. But if your a hot head lump, they will probably hand you to their legal dept to work things out and they probably could care less about your problem.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
I stayed at the Hilton couple of years ago and accidentially left my cell phone charger plugged into the wall.

As soon as I realized, I called the hotel. They actually went to the room, located it and shipped it Fed Ex overnight to me at no charge !

Old 02-26-2011, 12:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,085 times
you are responsible of this mistake, you should have check that you collected all the things. tou should but new laptop charge and recheck your belonging before leaving the room

Old 02-26-2011, 07:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmin.reo View Post
you are responsible of this mistake, you should have check that you collected all the things. tou should but new laptop charge and recheck your belonging before leaving the room
You're talking to the OP; we've moved on to a person who just started posting. You might want to read the entire thread to make sense of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel