Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!! ...
I am curious about Portland too.... hmm

Do Northern CA (Napa) for March (one of the best times to be there) Hills are GREEN, not wildfire (or TX) brown

Portland; depends what you want, but I consider Aug the best for dry weather (free concerts EVERYNIGHT in the parks, decent Roses, often 100% dry weather, nice at coast (1hr west) hug point - Google Search

AUG is also a good time to flee Houston.

October would be my next favorite (Fall colors in the Gorge), very nice COLORFUL sunsets at the coast

Early May if you are into colorful Rhododendrons (and drizzle) Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden
VERY nice 'juried' craft show on 1st weekend of May (Convention Center)
Oregon Potters Association - Ceramic Showcase
his is worth coming to (Free) as there is also wood-crafts, glass, and tapestry shows adjacent. (All under cover), and this is a short walk across the river Portland Saturday Market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
If you do go to Napa, stay at the Silverado Resort. We go to Napa twice a year and always stay there, it's a really nice place. We've been there in March and it's not as nice as September. The grapes are on the vines in September and you can smell them as you pull up to the wineries, one of our favorite times to visit!
OK I'm definitely going to see if we can go in September instead of March... not sure if there's a deadline on using up our SW points. We also have a bunch of Hilton points saved so we may go that route. But that resort looks really nice! Good to know we have a lot of options...

Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
AUG is also a good time to flee Houston.

October would be my next favorite (Fall colors in the Gorge), very nice COLORFUL sunsets at the coast

Early May if you are into colorful Rhododendrons (and drizzle) Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden
VERY nice 'juried' craft show on 1st weekend of May (Convention Center)
Oregon Potters Association - Ceramic Showcase
his is worth coming to (Free) as there is also wood-crafts, glass, and tapestry shows adjacent. (All under cover), and this is a short walk across the river Portland Saturday Market
We may have to take 2 trips because now I want to go to both! August is an excellent time to flee Houston - you are so right on that one!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
OK I'm definitely going to see if we can go in September instead of March... not sure if there's a deadline on using up our SW points. We also have a bunch of Hilton points saved so we may go that route. But that resort looks really nice! Good to know we have a lot of options...
There are both a Hilton Garden Inn and an Embassy Suites in Napa. I prefer the Garden Inn, it's a little further upvalley and a significantly newer property. I also prefer to go in march when it's quiet and you can get into almost anywhere either without an appointment or with only a days notice. In September you need to plan months out. Also there are a ton of discounts in March, September is high season.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:49 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There are both a Hilton Garden Inn and an Embassy Suites in Napa. I prefer the Garden Inn, it's a little further upvalley and a significantly newer property. I also prefer to go in march when it's quiet and you can get into almost anywhere either without an appointment or with only a days notice. In September you need to plan months out. Also there are a ton of discounts in March, September is high season.
We were there for Labor Day, and were told it's high season. What a lie! The wineries were deserted, the flights were cheap (we only planned a month in advance, when our East coast friend said she'll meet us there) and we got a better deal on the Silverado resort than we did in March! Not to mention, the hotel wasn't fully booked!

In March, it was so crowded, we didn't visit all the wineries we planned on. Just because they tell you it's high season doesn't mean it will be. We personally had a much better experience over Labor Day than in March, or even February the year before.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 AM

We were there for 10 days early last October and it was a madhouse. Every hotel was sold out. Thank goodness that I had planned it out months in advance, but even with that planning I was still too late and one event we had hoped to attend was sold out.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
My SO and I have Southwest points to use so I want to get opinions on good places to take a trip. We want to go this March and stay for a long weekend. The first places that came to mind that I've been meaning to visit were Napa Valley and Maine. But I'm very open to suggestions. We're looking for a fun place and we don't have any other specifics!
Las Vegas would be my first choice.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We were there for 10 days early last October and it was a madhouse. Every hotel was sold out. Thank goodness that I had planned it out months in advance, but even with that planning I was still too late and one event we had hoped to attend was sold out.
I think October is when most of the wineries have all the harvest festivals. I'm a fan of quite a few wineries on FB and they all posted pictures of the parties in October. September they aren't even harvesting yet, so from our experience it's the best time to visit. Not only was is not crowded, nothing beats the smell of grapes as you pull into the wineries.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I think October is when most of the wineries have all the harvest festivals. I'm a fan of quite a few wineries on FB and they all posted pictures of the parties in October. September they aren't even harvesting yet, so from our experience it's the best time to visit. Not only was is not crowded, nothing beats the smell of grapes as you pull into the wineries.
It depends on how the weather affects the vintage as well as the varietal of grape and the individual winemakers decision. Some years they begin pulling in the chardonnay in Carneros in late August, in 2010 it was mid-September. Generally the further upvalley the cooler it is and the later the harvest is. Most of the higher elevation Howell Mountain vineyards didn't even begin to harvest until the thrid week of October 2010--a good three weeks later than usual.

If you haven't had the opportunity, try to get someone to take you into a vineyard about a week before harvest--put a couple grapes in your mouth and chew on them, crushing the seeds between your teeth. (Spit it out, you'll get an upset stomache if you eat too many of these grapes--they aren't like table grapes.) Then do the same thing--in the same vineyard block-- as they are harvesting. You'll be able to tell that the grape got sweeter and the seeds are no longer green and bitter. It's pretty cool seeing the change in the fruit--both the brix levels in the juice and the tannins in the seeds and skin--over the space of just a week.

By the way, if you go in March before bud break, Phelps will still have the "rent-a-sheep" in the vineyards.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:24 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
If you want to stay in the US, I suggest the following as options:

1) San Antonio, TX. It is an absolutely wonderful city, warm, inviting and friendly. River walk is all that it is talked up to be. GREAT food and atmosphere and not terribly expensive. The weather in late March should be ideal.

2) Charleston, SC. Another absolutely breathtakingly beautiful city. Great restaurants, plantations, nice people, great tours. Even their cemetaries are gorgeous! Savannah would be a close alternate, fabulous!

3) Natchez and New Orleans. Close enough that you can tour by car once you get there. NO is fabulous, of course. Natchez is a lovely old Southern town.

Bon Voyage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel