Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:53 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,836 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I did a search for this and didn't come up with anything, so apologies if it's already covered ad nauseum somewhere else.

I'm planning a trip to Disney World in June with a small group of friends. One friend has a timeshare with Disney Vacations, so we'll be in one of the park resorts for free = awesome.

Next, we have to decipher the gajillions of options for park passes as well as food.

My friend has already booked us for one of the food plan options, which comes out to roughly $75 per person per day for 3 meals and I think a couple of snacks. Even though I know that is much cheaper than paying for individual meals in the park - any other options out there that we're not considering??

We'll be staying in a suite with a kitchenette, so I believe there might be some consideration of bringing foods for preparation in the room, but just wondering if there might be other food options for the "budget-concious."

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 05:46 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times
This is the disboards link to dining plan discussions. Disney Dining Plan - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

I could never understand the kitchenettes, and laundry rooms. Everybody gets a vacation except Mom. She is still cooking and cleaning, just in a different location.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
This is the disboards link to dining plan discussions. Disney Dining Plan - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

I could never understand the kitchenettes, and laundry rooms. Everybody gets a vacation except Mom. She is still cooking and cleaning, just in a different location.
Oooh thanks - that's awesome - EXACTLY what I was looking for.

BTW - there are no moms on this trip, and certainly no women who cook. Not me - that's for sure!! I always say cookin' is MAN'S work in my house!!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Try feeding a large family at restaurants three meals a day. It could easily add $200 per day to the budget.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Try feeding a large family at restaurants three meals a day. It could easily add $200 per day to the budget.
So true!

Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Hi all.

I did a search for this and didn't come up with anything, so apologies if it's already covered ad nauseum somewhere else.

I'm planning a trip to Disney World in June with a small group of friends. One friend has a timeshare with Disney Vacations, so we'll be in one of the park resorts for free = awesome.

Next, we have to decipher the gajillions of options for park passes as well as food.

My friend has already booked us for one of the food plan options, which comes out to roughly $75 per person per day for 3 meals and I think a couple of snacks. Even though I know that is much cheaper than paying for individual meals in the park - any other options out there that we're not considering??

We'll be staying in a suite with a kitchenette, so I believe there might be some consideration of bringing foods for preparation in the room, but just wondering if there might be other food options for the "budget-concious."

Thanks in advance!!
If you are able to prepare food in your room, such as sandwiches etc. then you might think about what my daughter and do when we go. We live here in Florida and visit the parks often. We take a backpack with a couple frozen water bottles in it with a packed lunch for both of us. Even if we got a Sub at some place like Subway it came out cheaper then eating in the parks. One thing I can't suggest highly enough is bring your own water bottles, they charge a kings ransom for them in the parks.
However I do have to say there are some very nice restaurants in the parks, there is a barbeque place in Animal Kingdom that I love, great onion rings and sandwiches there. In Epcot, the Italian place you have to get reservations at is good, we also liked the sushi and tempura place, also reservations needed. In The Magic Kingdom, we really enjoy the Hot Dog place on the left at the end of Main street, then for something sweet, we could cross the street for some ice cream. At MGM, there is a place that is like an old fashioned drive in movie that the food is pretty samey at but the atmosphere is a lot of fun for kids.
I hope you enjoy your trip.
If you want to book a reservation or just hear about the restaurants and what they have to offer you can call 407-WDW-DINE. They start booking for dates 3 months in advance so really popular places like the castle start to fill up quickly.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Hi all.

Thanks in advance!!
Personally, I would prefer to prepare my own meals. Most commercially prepared meals are not healthy (even in Disney World). You can pick up some fresh vegetables (preferably organic) at local area health food stores or mainstream stores such as Whole Foods, etc. As well as other healthy "convenience" foods for snacking, etc.

Before I would eat commercialy prepared food from their "plans" I would certainly contact the F & B department and get a list of all ingredients and a nutritional breakdown of what is served. This is just me, of course, not everyone is that conscientious about what they eat.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-18-2011, 04:38 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
^Any organic option is a looooooong way from Disney, the only Whole Foods is on the other side of town in Winter Park.
Orlando is not exactly tourist-friendly as far as organic options for cooking your own.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
I agree with Lindsey on this one, you should freeze a few water bottles (wrap each in foil) i'd say 3 for each person and pack them in a little backpack or diaper bag type thingy.
Bring in some food, sub's or just PB&J sandwiches. Bottled water is a must for Disney as the public water fountains Taste like re-processed sewer water.
The soda is not much better, just taste like sweet sewer water.. All food and beverages inside the park are very costly..
Think eating three meals at a movie theatre concession but worse..
The worse part about carying around a bag is you have to carry it around, I had the good fortune to have my Neice along and stored everything in the stroller.
If you paid for the meals by all means use it up, but be sure to bring the extra liquids..

Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Big breakfast prior

water enroute

Soup in bread-bowls while on-site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel