Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:33 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,621,282 times

Advertisements

Well, its finally arrived, we're going to see Mickey in 4 weeks..... The last time I was there was when my oldest boys were 6 and 7.....now 20 and 21, I'm sure things have changed. We're surprising my 8 year old daughter and 10 year old son, staying at the POP Century in Disney, and what I need is anything and everything you can tell me.....where to go, what to see, what to skip, where to eat...etc. Actually I was told to book some of the speciality meals ahead of time so if anyone is familiar with those, that would be great! And, as if I haven't asked for enough, we're driving from NJ, so if there are any hot spots to visit along the way........... Many thanks! Jeannie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 10:02 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
We just went there in June. Great time, BUT Magic kingdom was SO crowded then. It was ridiculous. Although you are going at a better time so you will avoid that.
We did all the parks, animal kingdom, MGM, Epcot and MK.

Epcot is the best food park. And the cheapest place we found to eat there was in france - go around the backside, there is a little patisserie that sells these ham and cheese croissants that are cheap and filling.

Do the fastpass whenever possible. Makes it pain free. You must fastpass "test track" and "soarin" the very very first thing in the AM otherwise you will not get a fastpass (they were gone every day before 10 am) and you will wait in a 2 hour line. Because of this we missed "soarin" but test track is totally worth it.

There are other disneyworld forums that go over everything exhautibly that may help you out. I don't know about the meals since we hardly ate anything but at the standup restaurants because the kids are not big eaters. We did not get the meal plan. When we went it was too hot and no one felt like eating anyway.

The only rides I would avoid are: Animal kingdom: Dinosaur! Very scary, if you have kids that are scaredy-cats miss this. Otherwise OK, not what it seems, very undisney.

Tough to be a bug - line up to get in is claustrophobic. Hated it. Show was cute but not worth the wait.

If a particular park you are at is unbearably crowded, leave, hit the pools, then come back at night or on another day. Bring several pairs of comfortable walking shoes because you will use them.

Bring your own bottled waters in the park in a fanny pack, and get those flavors to put in yourself. that will save you $$.

Have fun.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
We just went there in June. Great time, BUT Magic kingdom was SO crowded then. It was ridiculous. Although you are going at a better time so you will avoid that.
We did all the parks, animal kingdom, MGM, Epcot and MK.

Epcot is the best food park. And the cheapest place we found to eat there was in france - go around the backside, there is a little patisserie that sells these ham and cheese croissants that are cheap and filling.

Do the fastpass whenever possible. Makes it pain free. You must fastpass "test track" and "soarin" the very very first thing in the AM otherwise you will not get a fastpass (they were gone every day before 10 am) and you will wait in a 2 hour line. Because of this we missed "soarin" but test track is totally worth it.

There are other disneyworld forums that go over everything exhautibly that may help you out. I don't know about the meals since we hardly ate anything but at the standup restaurants because the kids are not big eaters. We did not get the meal plan. When we went it was too hot and no one felt like eating anyway.

The only rides I would avoid are: Animal kingdom: Dinosaur! Very scary, if you have kids that are scaredy-cats miss this. Otherwise OK, not what it seems, very undisney.

Tough to be a bug - line up to get in is claustrophobic. Hated it. Show was cute but not worth the wait.

If a particular park you are at is unbearably crowded, leave, hit the pools, then come back at night or on another day. Bring several pairs of comfortable walking shoes because you will use them.

Bring your own bottled waters in the park in a fanny pack, and get those flavors to put in yourself. that will save you $$.

Have fun.
Thank you gardener for all the info! How do you get fast pass?

Old 10-05-2007, 06:15 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
Jeannie
lol one hot spot you shouldn't miss is us
If your driving down 95 you will pass right by us as you go through Jacksonville
It is about 2 1/2 hours form us to disney

Hubby and I went 3 years ago make sure you get "park hopper" tickets, that way you can bounce from one park to the other during the day.
I agree with gardener bring your own water
I found these great water bottles that have their own insulated covers with a shoulder strap at walmart for under $4.

You are going to to have such a good time

karla

Old 10-05-2007, 11:52 AM

176 posts, read 1,146,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Actually I was told to book some of the speciality meals ahead of time so if anyone is familiar with those, that would be great!
I enjoy the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:55 AM

895 posts, read 4,249,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal7014 View Post
I enjoy the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue.
We loved it, too! It's appropriate for your son and daughter, you and your husband would enjoy it and the food is good. I would think with their ages that they wouldn't be too interested in the character breakfasts but my girls enjoyed the princess breakfast in Norway at Epcot. With four weeks to go, some of the "in demand" character things might be hard to book. And--stop at a grocery store and pick up cereal and milk for the morning. Although Pop Century serves meals (and the food is great), cereal for 4 or 5 can run $40/morning. We found that self-serving breakfast really helped and got us going quicker in the morning. Also, my family absolutely loves Gator Land. It's a fun couple of hours close by. Have a fabulous time. We just moved to California and we're going to try Disney Land next week!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:54 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times
The Tower of Terror, and Rockin Rollercoaster are great. Skip the Chronicles of Narnia.
I wasn't real impressed with the test track. I figure that I can drive twice that fast on my way to work every day with real obstacles.

If Pop Century offers plastic drink mugs for 12 bucks, buy them. You will save a ton on drinks.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:17 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Over at LaughingPlace.com Home - The #1 Site for Disney (broken link), there is an area in their forums on trip planning to WDW. It's worth checking out.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM

325 posts, read 1,077,515 times
I used to work for Disney 5 years ago so I could probably tell you everthing you want to know.

MGM and Fantasmic is a must see show. Aerosmiths Rock and Roller coaster is awesome as is the Tower of Terror.

The Coral Reef is the best place for dinner at Epcot. I used to work in that restaurant for a few months while I was there.

I also worked at the front desk of the Boardwalk Resort. Try the ESPN club while you are there. Its located on the Boardwalk.

PM if you want more info. I would like to think I am somewhat of a Disney expert. LOL

Old 10-08-2007, 04:14 PM

I actually was able to book the princess lunch in Norway at Epcot. I think she'll love it! Also, we got the meal plan so I'm hoping that will save us some money too. Thank you very much for all the info...greatly appreciated. Jeannie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
We loved it, too! It's appropriate for your son and daughter, you and your husband would enjoy it and the food is good. I would think with their ages that they wouldn't be too interested in the character breakfasts but my girls enjoyed the princess breakfast in Norway at Epcot. With four weeks to go, some of the "in demand" character things might be hard to book. And--stop at a grocery store and pick up cereal and milk for the morning. Although Pop Century serves meals (and the food is great), cereal for 4 or 5 can run $40/morning. We found that self-serving breakfast really helped and got us going quicker in the morning. Also, my family absolutely loves Gator Land. It's a fun couple of hours close by. Have a fabulous time. We just moved to California and we're going to try Disney Land next week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel