Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times

Advertisements

If you like classical music, don't miss The Hallé - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 08:23 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-666 View Post
If you like classical music, don't miss The Hallé - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i'll check into that--much has been said about 'the music scene' in Manchester--i think they were referencing pop music--60's or something like that

i like music--many kinds

Culture of Manchester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lol--
20th century broadcaster and social commentator Brian Redhead once said "Manchester ... is the capital, in every sense, of the North of England, where the modern world was born. The people know their geography is without equal. Their history is their response to it".[1] Whilst Ian Brown of the Stone Roses has previously said that "Manchester has everything except a beach".[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Redhead

I often wish Atlanta had a beach---a river in the middle of the city would be nice. eh--We are broke, flat broke in GA--that is what the Governor tells us. Education, government services of every kind --cut to the bare bones. Founded as a debtor's colony---and it seems likely that we will return to 1732--crusts of bread and maybe a cup of water--all you really need. Not always happy with some of these ideas--but we did move forward a bit--each county can hold a referndum on the sale of alcohol on Sunday. GA is one of ?less than 10 states that has never allowed this. Fundamentalists---it was quite a struggle to get this through the legislature.

^^^^

i hear things like this a lot in the ATL--'We are the best--capital of the New South'--now I want to know which media corporation controls Manchester

in the ATL it is Cox Broadcasting--definite roots that go straight back to England--
Consumer Guru of all Guru's--i am given to understand--Cox employee, Clark Howard--liberal a Jew---counsels us--all who can hear or read to be fiscally conservative--wouldn't spend 1penny more than absolutely necessary--
Does Manchester have Costco--wholesale store--Clark loves Costco. Walmart or Target---lots of malls?

I know it doesn't---the evils of capitalism--the Mall.

still trying to get the memory of the horrible pronunciation of that word out of my head from this past weekend--large street in London--called 'the maaaw'---the only clue I had was 'not like a maaaw in the US'. Mall--boulevard, street--that would have helped. Does this piece of infrastructure have a more specific name? I couldn't find out.
'The Royal Mile'--that may be in Scotland.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-04-2011 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 09:30 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
Manchester does have a costco. I went once I think it is near the Trafford Centre.

Manchester also has 'malls' but they are called shopping centres.

The Trafford Centre, Manchester

and

Manchester Arndale

google earth and you can 'walk' around the city centre.

The Mall is actually the name of that specific road that leads up to Buckingham Palace. If you got in a taxi in London and said take me to The Mall - he would take you to this street... not a shopping centre

Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Does Manchester have Costco--wholesale store--Clark loves Costco. Walmart or Target---lots of malls?
There's a Costco near The Trafford Centre, which is a large indoor shopping center or mall. At one point it was the largest indoor mall in England (maybe even in the UK?) - don't know if it still holds that title but I had to laugh when my husband took me there for the first time, bragging about how it's the largest indoor shopping center in the country... but it's not even as big as King of Prussia in PA! Heck, it's not even as big as the Willow Grove Park Mall just outside Philly. It is, however, elaborately decorated.
http://www.costco.co.uk/Locations_home/locations/Manchester/manchester_x_O.html (broken link)
The Trafford Centre, Manchester

The Trafford Centre is outside the city center though - the shopping center in town is The Arndale. Manchester Arndale

There's no Target but Asda is considered the UK version of Walmart since Walmart actually owns Asda. Online Grocery Shopping, ASDA Direct, George and more at Asda.com

Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 AM

List of the largest shopping centres in the United Kingdom by size - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trafford centre is 6th on the wiki list....

I can only speak for the people I know but going to such a shopping centre is most peoples idea of hell. I lived in London for 16 years and probably only went to Bluewater maybe 3 times... Hight Street shopping is a much more pleasant experience IMHO.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
I used to have to work there quite a bit but always tried to stay in the Peak District above Manchester and travel in each day.

So where in or around Manchester was the atom first split?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:19 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
List of the largest shopping centres in the United Kingdom by size - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trafford centre is 6th on the wiki list....

I can only speak for the people I know but going to such a shopping centre is most peoples idea of hell. I lived in London for 16 years and probably only went to Bluewater maybe 3 times... Hight Street shopping is a much more pleasant experience IMHO.
Not in the usual English weather, it's not, lol. Indoor malls are ideal for rainy days and England has plenty of them.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:49 PM

I guess but I was born in Manc and lived in the UK until I was 35 so I guess I'm used to it

I just hate the big shipping centers that carry the same shops, Gap, Miss Selfridge, Top Shop, River Island, Wallis, HMV, etc etc. You could teleport yourself from the Trafford Centre to Bluewater and not notice !!

I guess The Trafford Centre does have Selfridges who at least carry some new inspirational collections... but give me an independent boutique anyday... A day shopping for me and I would choose Manchester centre over the T C anytime. You can head off to a cute pub for lunch, St Ann's Square, King Street, Selfridges... It doesn't have the boutiques anymore but the selection in House of Fraser, Selfridges and Harvey Nichols have a good choice...

When I lived in London shopping in places like Tunbridge Wells was always a nice treat.... a lot more interesting than Bluewater any day !!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I used to have to work there quite a bit but always tried to stay in the Peak District above Manchester and travel in each day.

History of excellence (The University of Manchester)

Manchester was home to John Dalton, who developed atomic theory and was considered to be one of the most influential thinkers of his time. The University was also where Nobel Laureate Ernest Rutherford first split the atom and advanced atomic orbital theory. Rutherford worked alongside Hans Wilhelm Geiger who developed at Manchester a prototype that would later become the famous Geiger counter.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

Just guessing--there are no exceptional transportation issues there? Normal roads---2/4 lanes? It sounds like they know what they are about in every aspect of life.

Civilized --I like that about the British. If you only knew what an enormous effort it is to discuss religion and politics. 'The Founding Fathers'--men of pure evil according to some. 'God'---what does it say in the Bible-I wonder if anyone knows.

Refreshing to hear the clergy of the Anglican church. Many of them living very close to me--private people--very private --actions not words. If you really want to know--you will find a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel