Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:56 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times

Advertisements

1. where was the longest flight you have ever been on? how long?

2. where was the shortest flight you've ever been on? how long?

3. where was your first flight to and how old were you?

4. what was your most recent flight

5. what was your scariest flight?

I'm not sure why I have all of these questions. Just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 02:07 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
New Jersey to Hawaii, with a layover in Chicago. When we reboarded in Chicago, we sat on the plane for 2+ hours before actually taking off. I think we spent at least 12 hours on a plane that day, maybe more. It was exhausting.

New Jersey to Atlanta. I think it was 3 hours.

I was 23 or 24, flew to Cancun with my boyfriend

Flew back and forth between New Jersey and Kansas City, MO. Not a long flight.

None were scary. Turbulance can be annoying but it is not really scary.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:54 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
1. Technically Tel Aviv to D.C. (Dulles), but not really as we had a four hour layover in Amsterdam. Due to weather conditions however and delays, that leg of the trip from Amsterdam to Dulles which should've been eight hours, had me on the plane for 10 hours. It was brutal. Heavy turbulence, screaming babies, constant circling around New York, etc.

2. I know the shortest flight was D.C. (Dulles) to Chicago (Midway) but I can't remember just how long of a flight it was. It was under two hours though, maybe one hour, 45 minutes or so.

3. I flew a bit as a baby, but that shouldn't count. The first flight that I can remember was when I was nine years old and we flew out to Los Angeles for a combination business trip (for my dad) and vacation (for the rest of us).

4. The aforementioned Tel Aviv-Amsterdam-DC debacle.

5. On one flight, we hit an air pocket and the plane suddenly dropped straight down for around three seconds. Quick, but absolutely terrifying. We had been going through some really rough turbulence prior to that, and there were these little girls (maybe six or seven years old) who screamed like bloody murder during that which didn't help.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:26 PM

137 posts, read 818,519 times
1. Longest flight & how long?
When I flew (with 3 young children) from Christchurch, New Zealand to London England with a 5 hour layover in Singapore. One stretch was about 9 hours, and one about 12/13 hours. Can't remember which was which, just that it was a long trip!

2. Shortest flight & how long? I think it was something silly like 30 minutes San Diego to Ontario, Ca. No sooner got up and we were going back down again, (that was along time ago though, so i'm not too sure)

3. 1st flight and how old? My 1st flight was to Nebraska and I was 16.

4. Most recent flight? London to San Francisco

5. Scariest flights are ones where they lose my luggage:

Old 06-10-2007, 09:08 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post

1. Flight from NY to Germany. Bad weather, was in flight at least about 13 hours, had to circle over germany for hours.......

2. Allentown/ PA to Philly/ PA...connection flight...maybe about 45 min? We went up, and started to go down again shortly after......lol

3. USA from Germany....20 at the time.

4. PA to FL about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

5. The flight from NY to Germany...bad weather, sturm. Calling it "turbulence" was an understatement!!!!!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:41 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,116 times
Quote:
USA to China

Quote:
Houston to Dallas
Quote:
To Taiwan from Brasil. I was 2.
Quote:
Less than two weeks ago from Phoenix to Houston.
Quote:
The ones that have strong turbulence which luckily have been few and far between.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:28 PM
cjw

125 posts, read 480,016 times

The longest non-stop was Atlanta to Johannesburg, South Africa. 17 hours in the air. (They now stop halfway for refueling and a new crew.)
The longest trip including all airports and layovers was Nairobi,Kenya to San Antonio. 39+ hours (no overnight layovers).

San Antonio to Dallas - appx an hour

I don't remember the first flight and I should because I'm sure I was in my teens.

Nairobi - San Antonio

They are all scary to me but the worst was a 4 seater puddle jumper in Kenya. We were flying at 11000 ft and I had a hard time breathing. Didn't happen at lower altitudes.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:12 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,184,736 times
Atlanta to Amsterdam 14 hours
The Amsterdam to Atlanta leg was technically shorter time by time but not distance.

Greenville/Spartanburg to Atlanta 45 mins

Not sure but I believe I was 12

This past Sunday, San Fransisco to Wilmington by way of Atlanta

None, just long and boring

Liz

Old 06-15-2007, 03:18 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,632 times

It would have to be either New York to Tokyo or Los Angeles to Sydney..they were both about 13 hours or so if I remember right.

Chicago to Milwaukee..I think it was only about 20 minutes or so..we didn't even get much about 10,000 feet so we were fairly low for a normal flight.

Omaha to Houston when I was very very young..don't even remember it..San Antonio to Tampa when I was about 14.

Dallas/Ft Worth to Santiago Chile a couple of weeks ago.

I was flying back home to NYC about 10 years ago from visiting my parents in Texas and the landing gear wouldn't come down so we had to circle a few times over NYC as we tried to land at LaGuardia. It finally did come down, but as we landed, the fire trucks were everywhere waiting on us in case something went wrong or a fire erupted from over heated tires and brakes.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:18 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,149 times
Quote:

1. flight from Memphis to Hawaii around 4 hours to San Fran then 8 hrs to Hawaii

2. Tupelo MS to Nashville Tn 45 minutes then on to Dallas 1 or 2 hrs.

3. I was 5 or 6 and my uncle took us up in his 6 seater and flew us all over Memphis and dive bombed our family who was outside their house. It was fun to me, I was a child. and they forgot to make me wear a seatbelt.

4. Memphis to Cancun

5. Return flight home from Hawaii- flew through edge of hurricane and the huge plane kept rollercoasting down when hitting turbulence.
and
flight from dallas to nashville, it was icy and we had to circle for hours, could see many planes circling as well. landed and had delay, then suddenly got the ok, we were nervous becuase the wings kept icing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel