Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:21 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times

Advertisements

1. where was the longest flight you have ever been on? how long? Longest was from Rio de Janeiro to Los Angeles when I was nine years old - about 14 hours.

2. where was the shortest flight you've ever been on? how long? Shortest flight was from Burbank to Sacramento, an hour.

3. where was your first flight to and how old were you? I remember flying back to see my grandmother in New York on a 747 when I was only six years old.

4. what was your most recent flight? Coming home from seeing my father in Florida three years ago.

5. what was your scariest flight? The one from Rio to L.A., because the pilot decided to fly through a thunderstorm! Stuff was flying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 07:41 PM

860 posts, read 698,573 times
First post in nearly 14 years.

1. where was the longest flight you have ever been on? how long?
Longest was from Atlanta to Honolulu, about 8.5 hours takeoff to touchdown.
2. where was the shortest flight you've ever been on? how long?
Probably Philadelphia to Baltimore. 25 minutes in the air (connecting that I was put on at the last second).
3. where was your first flight to and how old were you?
1.5 years old to Huntsville AL for my cousins wedding
4. what was your most recent flight?
Coming back from DC yesterday to Boston after getting vaccinated.
5. what was your scariest flight?
Many of the DC-Burlington VT flights I did as a kid. small plane with a lot of turbulence.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:09 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
1. where was the longest flight you have ever been on? how long? ORD-AUH-SIN. 23 hours in air..

2. where was the shortest flight you've ever been on? how long? ORD-MKE, 20 minutes

3. where was your first flight to and how old were you? ORD-CLE, 20 yo

4. what was your most recent flight. ORD-AUH-SIN r/t

5. what was your scariest flight? ORD-LHR. Turbulence while dinner was being served. I had to maintain a grip on the wine glass. No wine was lost!
See highlights.

Last edited by BOBNCHI; 04-12-2021 at 08:31 PM..

Old 04-13-2021, 05:56 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times

Newark to Delhi, India- I think about 12 hours. Newark to Rio was similar. I've been in transit close to 24 hours many times but that involved connections.

Ah, bragging rights. Westray to Papa Westray in the Orkneys, 1 minute, world's shortest scheduled airline flight. I have the certificate to prove it.

Columbus, Ohio to Akron-Canton. I was 16.

Getting out of Bolivia in March, 2020 after a tour was cut short. That was exciting- La Paz to Santa Cruz (big planes couldn't take off from La Paz because the altitude required too long of a takeoff roll, connections were out because countries were closing their borders), Santa Cruz to Miami to Houston to MCI. In transit 20 hours.

None, really, but a few really very bad delays. One of the worst was waiting in ORD for a flight to London at about 9 PM, delayed, delayed, delayed.. and cancelled around 1 AM. Took another 2 hours to get my bag back and the shuttle for the hotel they put us in never showed up even though I called repeatedly, Checked into the Hilton across the street and got a "day rate" it was so late, and a late checkout. Bless them. Took the same flight number a day late.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:09 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:

4. what was your most recent flight

I'm not sure why I have all of these questions. Just curious
My longest flights were ones between Los Angeles/San Francisco and Sidney/Melbourne.

Shortest flights were on small aircraft which were simply a go around above an airfield.

My first flight was as a toddler (approx. 3-4 years old) and it was between the East Coast (not sure which airport) and San Francisco.

My most recent flight was just before COVID was between Fort Lauderdale, FL. and Newark, NJ.

I don't remember any particular flight as being scary in particular.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:35 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Longest flight: Washington-Dulles to Seoul-Incheon, nonstop in both directions. About 14 hours each way.

Shortest flight: Fort Lauderdale to West Palm Beach, approximately 20 minutes or so. Time spent taxiing on the ground was probably longer than the flight itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Ah, bragging rights. Westray to Papa Westray in the Orkneys, 1 minute, world's shortest scheduled airline flight. I have the certificate to prove it.
You have no idea how jealous I am!

First flight: Age 10, flying from Fort Lauderdale to Washington (with a stop in West Palm Beach).

Most recent flight: last October, Tampa to Baltimore.

Scariest flight: I've never been scared on a plane. Probably the flight that would have scared people the most was a flight that left West Palm Beach at the crazy early hour of 3:00 a.m. We made an intermediate stop in Jacksonville and then continued toward Atlanta. Along the way, we flew into an ice storm. That plane was bounced around so badly, I think nearly everyone got airsick, except for me. Delta Flight 490, February 1982. I'll never forget it.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:52 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times
Ok, I'll play! Nice to get away from the 'Rona for a bit!

Detroit to Tokyo, about 13 hours.
"Private" planes, just minutes, but commercial - San Juan to Punta Cana...about 20 minutes.
10-ish, Ohio to Orlando...I think.
2 months ago, Dallas to PIT
On way home from Brazil, Sept. 29, 2006 - mid air collision between two other planes, sometime before I took off, 154 people died. We unknowingly flew over the wreckage "down there somewhere" and did not learn of the accident until we landed. Obviously not scary at the time - we did not know. But that's when I learned that Air Traffic Control is a ... missing feature ... of Rain Forest Flying. Things may be different now...or not...

Old 04-13-2021, 10:52 PM

218 posts, read 156,165 times

Johannesburg to New York JFK, 16 hours

San Francisco to Stockton, CA, maybe 25 minutes in the air on a DC-9. Plane was packed. Flight attendants had time to pass out a piece of red, white, and blue salt water taffy to everyone. All passengers got off in Stockton except for three of us who continued on to Twin Falls and a few other Idaho destinations. I remember we three remaining pax were served soup in real bowls, and then the FA bagged up the bowls in plastic bags so we could take them with us.

3. where was your first flight to and how old were you? 13 or so. San Francisco to Salt Lake City

4. what was your most recent flight? November 2019, JFK to San Jose, CA

5. what was your scariest flight? Short hop on from Reno to San Jose, CA on the now-gone AirCal. SEVERE turbulence coming over the Sierra Nevada.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:14 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:

4. what was your most recent flight

I'm not sure why I have all of these questions. Just curious
1. Los Angeles, CA to Sydney, Australia. (Don't ask me how long. It was long.)

2. Salt Lake City, UT to Boise Idaho. (Less than an hour)

3. Salt Lake City, UT to San Francisco, CA. I was around ten years old.

4. Just got back from Honolulu, HI

5. San Juan, PR to Atlanta, GA. The plane had a fire in an engine and had to divert to Miami, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel