Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:56 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times

Advertisements

I read a few books about people traveling in Iran, and described the people as very nice and hospitable. The country has many beautiful sights as well.

I will be north of Iran at the end of the year, and may go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 07:20 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
I have a couple of friends who are British and Chinese and they went and had a very positive experience and met wonderful people.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
I have never traveled to Iran myself but if I were planning a trip there, I'd become familiar about the customs and what's considered appropriate/inappropriate to avoid any issues.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:12 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
Bet you all wont think its such a great idea when you're captured and imprisoned as spies.

How soon we forget those hikers that wandered into Iran by mistake.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Bet you all wont think its such a great idea when you're captured and imprisoned as spies.

How soon we forget those hikers that wandered into Iran by mistake.

LOL, I knew it was only a matter of time before the scared little girls posted on this thread. The only thing you know is what the media feeds you.

Have you been there? Or even the Middle East? If not, please remove yourself from my thread.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Going to Baku, Azerbaijan?

I believe it is extremely difficult for US citizens to get Iran visas.
And the US has no diplomatic relations nor an embassy in Iran, not to mention the deteriorating political tension between Iran and the US.

So that makes a trip to Iran for you very risky. Especially a ground border crossing.

You should consider carefully before proceeding with idea. I think once you arrive in Azerbaijan and get a better grip on the local goings-on, you will realize that a visit to Iran for you probably isn't a good idea.

However, if you hold a non US passport the whole game changes. You didn't mention what nationality passport[s] you have.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:01 PM

222 posts, read 419,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
LOL, I knew it was only a matter of time before the scared little girls posted on this thread. The only thing you know is what the media feeds you.

Have you been there? Or even the Middle East? If not, please remove yourself from my thread.
Iran (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_920.html - broken link)

Old 05-22-2011, 04:09 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
Lol! I'm a scared little girl because as a US citizen I don't want to go to Iran?

Seriously please go there and do the world a favor and don't reproduce.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
If you're American, I wouldn't recommend going. People of other nationalities seem to do fine in places like that. Just stay in well-lit areas, populated places, etc. etc etc.

I understand that just "happening" to hike across the border is different than getting a visa so you can legally be there, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I understand that the people who AREN'T affiliated with the Ayatollah, military, or government in any way are really pleasant, though.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post

I think you should definitely go. No doubt all these wild reports about Iran being unsafe are nothing more than the media working on the government's behalf to cripple the Iranian tourist industry. Be sure to take lots and lots of pictures when you are there to share with the rest of us. I find government buildings especially interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel