Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 10:02 AM

895 posts, read 4,247,796 times

Advertisements

I am looking for ideas on where to rent a summer beach house. We want to fly east and rent a large (4-5 bedroom) house on the beach in N or S Carolina or thereabouts for a few weeks. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm looking for quiet, family friendly areas (not overly populated or crazy). Someone mentioned Hilton Head but I don't know if I'd be able to find what I'm looking for. Someone else mentioned Bald Head Island.

As a child, we vacationed at the beach (Ventnor, Margate and Ocean City, MD) and I have fabulous memories of hanging out with my family and want to pass that on to my four little ones.

Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 12:37 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I am looking for ideas on where to rent a summer beach house. We want to fly east and rent a large (4-5 bedroom) house on the beach in N or S Carolina or thereabouts for a few weeks. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm looking for quiet, family friendly areas (not overly populated or crazy). Someone mentioned Hilton Head but I don't know if I'd be able to find what I'm looking for. Someone else mentioned Bald Head Island.

As a child, we vacationed at the beach (Ventnor, Margate and Ocean City, MD) and I have fabulous memories of hanging out with my family and want to pass that on to my four little ones.

Any ideas???
Ok........Sure. I just came back from OC and Rehoboth by the way.
Margate, is the elephant Lucy still there?
I have a great idea for you. For SC.
Try Surfside Beach, in Oceanside Village. There you can have a rental home with the ocean across the street. Some of the homes have golf carts.
There is an indoor pool. Plus all the attractions of Myrtle Beach not all that far away. Broadway at the beach, Dixieland Stampede, Barefoot Landing, The Alligator place by the landing. Plus lots more.
Rose Realty has a site, you may have to google that.
She has the most listings for in there. It is relatively quiet now at the end of the summer. You just take a golf cart over to the beach and restaurant.
The airport is only 10 min. from the location.
There is a nice park with trees and a play area.
Sometimes they have a breakfast for all to go to.
I'd ask for a newer place, possibly in the KEYS section. Or for even newer and larger in the Bermuda Bay front section.......Its great there.
Just checked Bermuda Bay( section)......a 5 bedroom 5 bath home for 3 weeks ( end of Sept into Oct) is very reasonable about 3000. Great spot, great community.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Where I live it (northeast tip of Florida) is very family-oriented and mellow.
Downtown is quaint yet has amenities.
Google Amelia Island if you are interested.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:52 PM

895 posts, read 4,247,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Where I live it (northeast tip of Florida) is very family-oriented and mellow.
Downtown is quaint yet has amenities.
Google Amelia Island if you are interested.
I just moved from Ponte Vedra Beach to California. Thanks for the tip but we spent April visiting Amelia Island before we moved west. I want my family to have to travel (from FL & S Carolina) so I thought meeting in N or S Carolina would get everyone out of their comfort zone. By the way, Watercolor in (in the panhandle) Santa Rosa Beach is fabulous--great family vacation!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
There are some rentals right "directly "on the beach also.
Surfside Beach Realty has some of those.
Some have their own pools.
Right now with school starting Myrtle Beach is not the busy place it is in June through Aug. Plus Surfside is the lower part of Myrtle.
You may also like Pawleys Island. For quiet dreamy days and night.
Visit the State Park for picnics, walkways, and swimming.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
By the way, Watercolor in (in the panhandle) Santa Rosa Beach is fabulous--great family vacation!
Yes, we just moved here from the northwest side of the panhandle (Port St Joe), and have stayed at Watercolor. It is indeed beautiful there.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:41 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
I would suggest in South Carolina: Pawleys Island. Nice, quiet, quaint. Love it.

For North Carolina, (and my favorite), the Outer Banks of NC. You can go to Duck, Corolla, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, or down to Hatteras Island: Avon, Hatteras, Rodanthe, Frisco or Buxton.... Feeling real adventuras, take the ferry over to Ocracoke Island. Voted on the best beaches in America. and you rent a jeep and drive it out on the beach and be the only one there!! Great small fishing village wrapped around the marina. All kinds of accomodations... houses to rent, hotels, motels, b&b's, and more...

Check it out.

shelly

Old 09-06-2007, 07:56 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
If you want a very natural setting and truely want peace and quiet, try Kiawah Island, SC.
To borrow a quote, Kiawah is "what God would have done, if he'd a had the money."

Old 09-07-2007, 11:08 PM

523 posts, read 1,679,712 times
I'd suggest Sunset Beach in North Carolina. It's just over the boarder from SC, not far from the attractions in Myrtle Beach, but yet is a place of it's own. You can fly into either Myrtal Beach or Wilmington, NC.

Sunset Beach is densly built with large rental homes, however. Therefore, I'd recommend going in the off season -- like September or October. It's just beautiful. Check out: Sunset Beach NC Vacation Rentals | Sunset Beach Properties | Sunset Beach North Carolina | NC Beach Rentals

Old 09-10-2007, 02:18 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Check out VRBO.com for listings - vacation rental by owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel