Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Considering that you'll be in the neighborhood anyway--Monterrey CA.

Absolutely gorgeous area, nice town, and the Monterrey Aquarium on Monterrey Bay is supremely entertaining. You can literally spend days there. Possibly the finest museum/aquarium/natural area in the world. Really first rate. Monterey Bay Aquarium

I lived in California nearly 20 years and it wasn't till I went back to visit from out of state that I made the random decision to go to Monterrey and the Aquarium. I have traveled some countries of the world since then, and I still rate Monterrey and its' aquarium as one of my most favorite-ist places I have ever been.

No, it is seriously worth the trip. The central California coast is one of the world's most beautiful places. The food is supreme. The climate is perfect. The scenery is glorious. The plants are unique. The Aquarium is amazing. And.the.otters!! Oh my god the otters! Otters in motion, otters in Monterrey Bay, otters on parade. Since then I have been lifelong otterized.

Also do not miss the entire jellyfish building annex. there is just nothing in this world like it. Mesmerising.

You'll love it. Go there.
I'll be sure to check it out - we went to the La Brae Tar Pits this year - good times.

We're also going to work out with Richard Simmins and go to 6 flags (I'm really scared already, my husband loves the scary rides) so an extra trip to the aquarium will be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 07:55 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
go to 6 flags (I'm really scared already, my husband loves the scary rides) so an extra trip to the aquarium will be awesome.
Thats a good time. Last time we were in Cali we spent two days going to Six Flags, what a blast that was we stayed at hotel across the highway where we could walk, were right there in the morning when they do the countdown to open the gates.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
I agree there is always something new and exciting to see and do in NYC. If you do get there again be sure to see the Broadway Show "Phantom of the Opera" it is fantastic. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is right there on Central Park and a must see in my book. If you decide on Washington DC there is so much there too. The monuments are awsome, especially the Lincoln Memorial. One of my favorite places in DC is the Natural History Museum - which is part of the Smithsonian. All the Smithsonian buildings are FREE.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Here's something to do on one of your tourist days, that you won't find anywhere else: Welcome To Galleta Meadows Estate

Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Never let anyone else define "fun" for you.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Never let anyone else define "fun" for you.
well, I WAS gonna ask OP if part of their excellent (fun) trip to SD included a side trip here.
The official website for Carhenge

Somehow, I feel disconnected in this current discussion of fun, and it certainly has variety... Opera to 6 flags (and I HAVE enjoyed EACH, but neither occupy my realm of 'travel fun'. ) They are something to do, and fun in their own right. Often it is the stuff you stumble upon, and not the planned part of the trip.

My kids will never let me forget the Bangkok Hotel that offered breakfast (Stella Palace ().... You walked to a landing on the stairs, and slid a large painting to the side, and stepped into a neighboring restaurant!!!. (feeling a bit foolish; all be it 'Stealth'. )

Old 12-21-2011, 01:32 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,818 times
Carhenge - i love it! Never heard of it, thanks for posting that.

Galetta Meadows estate looks amazing too!

U guys are great - you know where I would love to go (tried to figure out a way to fit it in this year) that dog hotel in Idaho.Cottonwood Idaho Dog Bark Park Inn Bed and Breakfast Idaho Lodging Vacation

lol, Man, I would LOVE to spend time there.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
...dog hotel in Idaho....
lol, Man, I would LOVE to spend time there.
ah shoot, then you will be next door to my favorite spot in all of ID
Kendrick - Juliaetta, Idaho - Welcome to Kendrick-Juliaetta and the 7 Ridges (probably no one else's favorite )

You may need to take a road trip, if you missed Carhenge, you probably missed this too... EnchantedHighway.net -- Enchanted Highway in Regent, North Dakota, and to think you were So Close (SD) .

I hope you got to see the Corn Palace, that is unique every yr since 1892
https://www.google.com/search?q=corn...iw=752&bih=510

Old 12-21-2011, 03:41 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
I can only take my vacations in winter and I'm looking for a warm weather place, so it limits the choice in the Continental US, I have friends in Delray Beach , FL, would it be worth it to rent a flat there, rent a car , and visit the rest of South Florida (Keys, Everglades, etc) from that base, or is SFL too crowded in February ?

Old 12-21-2011, 04:29 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I can only take my vacations in winter and I'm looking for a warm weather place, so it limits the choice in the Continental US, I have friends in Delray Beach , FL, would it be worth it to rent a flat there, rent a car , and visit the rest of South Florida (Keys, Everglades, etc) from that base, or is SFL too crowded in February ?

If you're going to rent a place in south Florida during the winter, you'd better bring lots of money. Rents skyrocket during Snow Bird season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel