Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 03:50 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times

Advertisements

With all the different options for both domestic and international travel, how do you shop for the best deals on airline flights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 05:17 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Check KAYAK - Cheap Flights, Hotels, Airline Tickets, Cheap Tickets, Cheap Travel Deals - Compare Hundreds of Travel Sites At Once .

Old 01-14-2012, 12:33 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
Avoid Travelocity, as their website automatically adds trip insurance and you need to manually remove it if you don't want it. I now like Expedia, which makes the choice explicit. There may be many others that do not have the deceptive automatic trip insurance Travelocity has, but Expedia is the one I have settled on.

My impression is that most of the websites have the same prices for a particular flight. I think there's an advantage to sticking to one as you get to know exactly how the website works (for sorting flights, etc.). While I have occasionally tried Kayak I have never found that it led me to a better deal.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:31 PM

79 posts, read 214,774 times
Try this little known website I like to use to travel:

Matrix - ITA Software

Good luck!
Lisa

Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
I have never found a better fare on the website of one of the online travel agents that I couldn't have found on an airline's own website. I often find lower fares on the airline websites that don't appear on the travel agent sites. I have been led to some lower fares on the airline websites after looking at one of the online travel agents, however. I'm referring to scheduled flights, not ticket consolidation services or agencies from which tickets for certain around-the-world or cross-the-planet flights can sometimes be purchased at a good savings. Remember, the online travel agencies get their information from the airlines themselves. They're just middlemen. And, if you purchase from one of them and there's a problem along the way, the airline will send you back to them for a resolution of the matter instead of taking care of the compaint itself. I don't see an upside to using the online middlemen. But it can cost you more.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:07 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
BTW: Google Just bought ITA software company to use it for there Travel portal.

ITA did the software behind Orbitz.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMMEGNA View Post
Try this little known website I like to use to travel:

Matrix - ITA Software

Good luck!
Lisa
It is the driver of most of the travel website search engines. I have noticed the results aren't as good since the Google purchase though. Multiple times I've found better rates through the airline's direct site. When trying to do Business to Asia, the difference has been in the $1500-$2000 range per ticket. It still works 90% of the time, but the couple of misses have made me nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel