Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 PM

147 posts, read 280,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Take it easy. I said it was all my GUESS, not fact and I'm doing research by posting here and looking at peoples' links at such. I don't know the answer yet that's why I'm on here. And by 'flights from Europe' or wherever I meant flights originating from Europe which I guessed would be going through some international airport outside of the US before landing in Hawaii in many cases. But maybe they all go through LAX, I don't know. Again, I'm just trying to figure it out. No one posted stats on Hawaii yet or brought up Hawaii as an international destination. What was your great contribution to the knowledge base, calling me stupid?
You are stupid, dahling. If your parents won't tell you then I will.

And based on your logic of "flights originating from Europe", then EVERY airport on the planet has nonstop flights to every destination on Earth.
Nonstop direct flights means from point A to point B.
HNL does not go to Europe, South America, etc.
[Mod cut: rude!!]

Well...mission accomplished.

Last edited by elnina; 11-14-2013 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,849 times
@ Surfer: Trolls aside, I meant no disrespect to you, so sorry if it sounded that way.

If we want to take wikipedia's word for it: "Hawaiian offers flights between the various airports of the Hawaiian Islands and also serves the continental United States, Australia, New Zealand, American Samoa, Tahiti, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan." And that's just Hawaiian. I know there are other Asian and Asian-Pacific Carriers that charter flights into the islands regularly too. And of course all European and other flights would have to layover somewhere, and if it's not LAX my guess is that it's Singapore or maybe Tokyo, so that;s even more flight coming in from international destinations. Again, I don't know the facts, but my thinking is just that Hawaii is the only real landing strip around for a couple thousand miles (even Wake island is 1000k+ miles ways) so my guess is that it gets a pretty high amount of incoming international flights relative to its size. But like I said, it could be that almost everything besides those few asian and south pacific routes go through LAX or SFO first for the sake of customs, I don't know. One thing's for sure… In total number, it's nowhere near what LAX, ORD or JFK would handle.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:33 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Seattle for the orient and Britain. Newark New Jersey for Europe. Miami for South America'

Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,614 times
Default Total international destinations served

Most people have focused on the question of the total number of flights from a given airport, counting multiple daily flights to the same destination as more than one flight.

My answer is not based on the number of daily flights, but instead on the total number of international destinations served by each airport.
When we count this way, we find that New York JFK is hands down above Miami.
Here are the complete data:

*Again, the number is NOT daily flights, but the TOTAL number of international destinations served by each airport (including seasonal flights, but not including charter flights)

table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; } New York 113 Miami 85 Newark 75 Los Angeles 69 Atlanta 63 Chicago 55 Dallas 53 Washington 49 Houston 48 Fort Lauderdale 41 Boston 39 Charlotte 38 Orlando 38 San Francisco 33 Philadelphia 32 Honolulu 27 Detroit 27 San Juan 25 Denver 24 Las Vegas 23 Minneapolis 23 Guam 23 Phoenix 22 Seattle 16 St Thomas, USVI 9 San Diego 7 Baltimore 7 Cincinnati 6 St Louis 6 Saipan 6 Oakland 5 Palm Springs 5 West Palm Beach 5 Portland, OR 5 Salt Lake City 5 Milwaukee 5 Anchorage 4 Hartford 4 Southwest Florida 4 Kansas City 4 Pittsburgh 4 Nashville 4 Austin 4 San Antonio 4 Sacramento 3 San Jose, CA 3 Indianapolis 3 New Orleans 3 Lansing 3 Raleigh-Durham 3 Cleveland 3 Columbus 3 St Croix 3 Fresno 2 St Petersburg, Fl 2 Memphis 2 McAllen 2 Birmingham 1 Fairbanks 1 Ontario 1 Jacksonville 1 Sarasota 1 Kona 1 Rochester 1 Syracuse 1 Burlington 1 Newport News 1 Richmond 1 Pago Pago 1

Old 10-09-2014, 08:21 PM

124 posts, read 178,652 times
Dallas goes to London (Europe), Brisbane (Australia), Dubai (Middle East), Honolulu (Pacific Islands), Tokyo & Hong Kong (East Asia), Argentina & Brazil (South America). That is quite an impressive list for just one airport.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:32 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,868 times
Probably newark

Old 10-10-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that IAH is the only airport in the US to fly non stop to every continent. I would probably go with JFK, LAX or ORD. I read that ATL airport has the highest amount of traffic in the world..
Ewgh yeah but so what.

Houston flies to very few international/european destinations.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
TOP AIRPORTS WITH NON-STOPS ABROAD Continental U.S. airports with the most non-stop flights to international destinations. Average daily departures scheduled for January 2008 and change from January 2007. Airport (rank)Daily departures
Miami 180
New York John F. Kennedy 178
Los Angeles 146
Chicago O'Hare 131
Houston Bush Intercontinental 122
Newark 118
Atlanta 94

More U.S. airports offering international flights - USATODAY.com
I think we should change this to 3,000 miles plus.

I don't count a flight from Miami to Puerto del bla bla

Old 10-10-2014, 11:12 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,987,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I think we should change this to 3,000 miles plus.

I don't count a flight from Miami to Puerto del bla bla
Well I do, because Puerto del Bla Bla is very nice in the winter. (Quit telling people about Puerto del Bla Bla. You'll spoil it for the rest of us.)

Old 10-10-2014, 11:35 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
You are stupid, dahling. If your parents won't tell you then I will.

And based on your logic of "flights originating from Europe", then EVERY airport on the planet has nonstop flights to every destination on Earth.
Nonstop direct flights means from point A to point B.
HNL does not go to Europe, South America, etc.
[Mod cut: rude!!]

Well...mission accomplished.
If you're going to insult people, you should take care, lest the same insult be directed at you. "Nonstop" is a subset of "Direct" but they are not necessarily the same thing. "Nonstop" means going from Point A to Point B without making any intermediate stops. "Direct" means going from Point A to Point B on the same aircraft with the same flight number. (Yeah, I know, "change of gauge" is considered "direct," but I personally don't count it as such.) It may be a nonstop, or it may stop at Points C, D, and/or E along the way. But a thru-passenger from A to B may remain on this plane for the duration of the trip.

If you want to introduce connections into the mix, and you don't place a limit on the number of connections between any two airports, then I would guess that nearly every commercial airport in the world is linked to every other one. But that's not at all what otterprods said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel