Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:19 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times

Advertisements

This is one of those questions that can't be answered the same by everyone.

I live within 2 hours of some of the world's most beautiful beaches....I don't get people coming and spending their entire vacation at a beach...others don't understand why I'm not there more.

There are so many choices for people to make....life would be boring if there wasn't..

Beach people.....enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 03:21 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I have been on 3 beach vacations. The first two didn't excite me all that much because we went to the standard touristy beach places. Crowds, over priced shops and restaurants. Then at night everyone got drunk and it was chaos. The third beach vacation really wasn't a true beach vacation. lol. My husband and I had gone to NC for a job interview and after that was done, we decided to drive a few hours to a small beach side community. It was in February so of course the place was deserted. At first it felt a little creepy as no one was there but we decided to check out one of the main luxury hotels for a night stay. We got a fantastic room with a balcony right on the beach. The rate was dirt cheap. The staff were bored so they completely catered to us the whole time. We got a lot freebies.We ended up staying two more days. It was way too cold to swim so we threw on some wool sweaters and walked the beach for hours. It was all ours. The few restaurants that remained open had great food and the prices were very reasonable. I think that winter beach vacation was one of the best side trips I ever took. Completely relaxing and we had the town to ourselves.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:00 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
This is one of those questions that can't be answered the same by everyone.

I live within 2 hours of some of the world's most beautiful beaches....I don't get people coming and spending their entire vacation at a beach...others don't understand why I'm not there more.

There are so many choices for people to make....life would be boring if there wasn't..

Beach people.....enjoy.
Pretty much this.

I used to live in Huntington Beach, CA, and went to the beach maybe once every couple months. I never really thought much about it, even though it was all of maybe a mile away.

Now I live in New York, and after a freezing winter of slush and snow, nothing beats going to Key West or somewhere in late February and just sitting in the sun without a care in the world for a few days.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:46 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,789 times
My dream (fantasy) is to live on the beach (Gulf of Mexico). I love to go to the beach and lay out all day under an umbrella adjusted to soak up sun or cover up....with a good book, cooler full of cold drinks and just relax.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,238 times
i may sound ignorant for even saying this, but all those beaches they advertise look the same to me! - Jamaica, Abu Dubai, Hawaii.. well, maybe not Hawaii since we all know they have their own 'culture'. But honestly, i don't know what could prompt someone to call a plain, beautiful beach simply "the best" when there are hundreds of other generic beaches around the world.

I think the only "beautiful" beach i've been to was Pattaya Beach in Thailand and I thought it was okay. Nothing special. Well, of course clean sand and clear water is something new for me since I live in New York where the water is dark green and polluted. Still, I really don't see a difference...unless people mean the kind of crowds?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
My dream (fantasy) is to live on the beach (Gulf of Mexico). I love to go to the beach and lay out all day under an umbrella adjusted to soak up sun or cover up....with a good book, cooler full of cold drinks and just relax.
If you'd like company, let me know. That's my dream world - no need to chat, just a companion and lots of books, swim when I get real hot, back to bake and read.

Aside from where I grew up on the NJ shore, my favorite beach was in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. It's on the Bahia de Banderas. We spent a week there with friends and I couldn't get enough of the beach and water.

It's my 2nd favorite place in the world, after Barcelona.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:39 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I'm not a big fan of beaches, either, but maybe it's because I've lived in L.A. my entire life, within driving distance of so many. When I go on vacation I head to the mountains (luckily, there are plenty of those in California as well!). I also burn very easily, and I get a headache from the sun's reflection on the sea and sand.

Having said that, I would like to go to Hawaii just once! I've never been there, and I've heard it's beautiful and diverse.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
I'm a "beachcomber".
Beaches are my life, because "life is a beach"!(did them all : Venice Beach, Maui, Waikiki, Puerta Vallarta,Cebu in the Philippines, Ibiza,the Riviera, etc)
just coming back from Lanta island, Thailand, with mixed feelings :
- rocky at low tide
- too many "eurotrash" types
- more expensive than I thought (50 $ for an aircon bungalow)
- unbearably hot/humid
- ocean water is so warm and salty it's not really refreshing
Happy to have visited but next time it will be the Yucatan beaches.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
If you want a beach experience that is pure heaven, go to NUEVA Vallarta (not Puerto). I grew up on the Jersey shore and you could have argued with me until the cows came home that there just isn't another place as good. Well, I was wrong. Not too salty, not too calm, not too high waves, just enough of everything. Sand not as silky as some Florida beaches but really nice. Temperature like - oooh so refreshing but warm enough to just walk right in. I stayed in until my lips turned purple and my skin had been prunish for quite a while and still I didn't want to leave - but there were places to explore and other things to do. And next time I am going parasailing!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
For those that like white sandy beaches and cool blue water without the salt Michigans UP peninsula bordering Lake Superior has a hundred miles+ of that kind of shoreline, looks like this =
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel