Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdav87 View Post
i know it sounds crazy, but...
Crazy is where it starts.

Quote:
taking off dec 21 and we are hoping to arrive the 23rd.
it is possible if all goes according to plan.
2500 miles @65mph (avg)... = 38.5 hrs rolling
add for fuel, bathroom and whatnot stops, let alone some sleep...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 107,991 times
well here is our plan....we've driven 18 hours straight before (from Los Angeles to Tacoma Wash)..we plan on taking off around 1pm...friday afternoon....if we were to take the 20 freeway and drive 18 or 19 hours straight (an estimation) ...we should be arriving in Abilene TX around 8am saturday morning....and sleep 8 hours max and take off around 4 or 5 in the afternoon (saturday) and drive another 19 hours....of course it will be my husband and i driving. if we were to do that we should be arriving sunday morning or afternoon to Los Angeles... say the drive goes smoothly and there are no interruptions. now of course our main goal is to arrive there safely and if possible on time. my friend did this drive and she had help driving and she did it in 2 days....so i know its possible. only thing was that she took off in september....the weather was not a problem....which i hope not but i know its possible that it will be a problem in our drive.....

Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Less relevant than weather will be darkness. Only 9-10 hours of daylight in December, so expect to do a lot of night driving. This is often overlooked by people planning winter trips.

While it will probably be dry all the way with nice daytime temperatures, the sun will always be very low in the sky, which will also cause a lot of glare when driving. Overnight temperatures in West Texas, New Mexico and Arizona will usually be below freezing, even near zero, so expect frost on your windshield when you start out each morning, which is a significant hazard when driving at night until thoroughly cleared off. Buy a scraper at a gas station for a buck or two. (For a light frost, scrape your windows with a credit card, which works wonderfully.) Put a can of Heet in your trunk, because gas you buy in a warm state can ice up if driving at highway speeds when it goes well below freezing. Make sure you have de-icer fluid in your windshield washer, and check your radiator with a hygrometer to make sure your coolant mix is good down to at least zero-F (if it looks green, it's probably OK). Carry a few blankets and gloves

Last edited by jtur88; 11-15-2012 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 AM

ohh wow thank you! i was looking into getting a kit....in case anything goes wrong...but you mention good points jtur88....thanks! much appreciated!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Also make sure your windshield washer reservoir is full of winter formula liquid or you may end up with a block of ice instead of windshield washer fluid. Air in the spare? AAA membership?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I-10 all the way, least amount of problems road wise and weatherwise. Fruit inspection, it's been many many years since we have had to stop for fruit inspection at any CA border.
We had fruit inspection (incoming) two weeks ago at Needles.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 PM

I'm going to have to look into AAA. Thanks for bringing that up. I think planning this trip is more stressful than actually driving it!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
I think planning this trip is more stressful than actually driving it!
There isn't much to plan for a slam across the I-10. You just go.
The only conflict you have is how much time you want to allow yourself to do it.

2500 miles @65mph (net) = 38.5 hours rolling
2500/150 = 16 stops x 20 minutes (avg) = 5.5 hours not rolling
That's 44 hours without any real sleep or any other delays.

Do it on a motorcycle and you can get a neat badge.
SaddleSore 2000 Rules:
SaddleSore 2000 Rules

Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
I'm going to have to look into AAA. !
Not worth it. Check with your insurance company about much cheaper road service coverage. (Claims do not raise your rates, and you can call any road service, not just the one they assign you.) Buy a Rand McNally road atlas at WalMart for 5.95.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Get some disposable handwarmers, a flashlight, and perhaps matches and a travel candle to carry in your car in case of breakdowns. The candle can provide a little heat plus light - be careful how you use it, of course. Be sure to have adequate water and food in case you get stranded or stuck - ice storms are not unheard of in Texas at this time of the year, and snow is possible in the mountains. Make sure your cell phone stays charged, too. A battery operated portable weather radio might be handy to keep up with conditions. A pillow is helpful for the sleeping passenger in the backseat, and make sure you have two blankets - one apiece. Sunglasses for that low western sun will be essential if it's clear. You could save a little time and money by packing a portable picnic - sandwiches, etc. - that can be eaten while you're on the road.

Have your car tuned up, winterized, filled with gas, packed, and ready to roll by December 20, so all you have to do is jump in and go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel