Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:57 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,196,349 times

Advertisements

If you stick to the speed limit, it will be difficult for a rapist to run you down.

It's going to be a long hard drive, save your money until you feel you can fly. I think it would be cheaper too.

Your most dangrous thing will be having a car breakdown of some sort. A tire blow out, radiator burst, gas tank leakage, lots of things! What would you do if you had to stay a few days in some Podunk, USA spot along the way until your car is fixed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I think CSD610 is right, 99% of truckers are amazing. It's the other 1% that you need to worry about. .
That also goes for doctors, police officers, teachers, judges, clergymen. Somehow, we all find a way to deal with it.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:09 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
You know what the trip is like and not in any more danger as with a friend really.Make sure of your car;stick to daylight driving. Your biggest danger is the driving itself ;really.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,083,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
For ANY traveler; a CB radio may be worth considering. $50 bucks will get you a decent one; even a hand-held might be sufficient. Granted, there's a few morons that get on the CB radio. But it can be invaluable to let you know about traffic backups. And most of us truckers would be happy to take a traveler under our "wing". ThreeWolves in Snow, the only issue I have with cars parking on the truck side of rest areas is that truck parking is VERY scarce in most parts of the country. PLEASE don't park on the truck side unless you are in the largest U Haul-type truck and/or pulling a trailer. Have a great trip!
I agree on the CB. My husband routinely drives from NJ to FL and back and has one for his car. He often hears of backups and can divert to side roads for a few miles. The $100 or so it cost him probably saved him 20+ hours over the past couple of years.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,083,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
does anyone know if most of the hotel chains will allow a 10lb dog?
In some states the state law doesn't allow any animals in rooms. I want to think NC and SC fall into that category.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 PM

633 posts, read 1,013,823 times
Totally understand about flying, etc... but that is a long drive alone. I would not worry about the drive, my worry would be about the hotels, etc. I have travelled throughout the US and also overseas alone... but even I would not drive that drive by myself. If you break down.... what a nightmare. You can't get rental cars everywhere, either - especially in small towns.

Get a prescription for a few xanax to help you relax on the plane, get a sherpa bag for your dog (you can keep him under your seat), get his clearance papers from the Vet.... take the plane... you'll be fine and get there much faster and also probably save yourself a few bucks! Gas + hotels + time = Alot more than airfare...

Best of luck and be careful.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,948,684 times
We drove to Florida with 2 dogs (each about 18 lbs.) We found that LaQuinta Inn's allow dogs for no extra charge, as do some Red Roof Inn's (Florence, SC). Most hotel chains along Route 95 realize that in order to get the North/South overnight traveler, they must allow animals, even if they charge an extra fee.

Plan your route to drive no more than you are physically able to drive in one day, leaving a day or two extra for the possibility of having to stop or postpone your trip because of weather. Once you get past North Carolina, you're probably okay unless it's some real freakish storm (which has happened once or twice a year in the past several years). Make your reservations ahead of time~good resources are TripAdvisor.com, BringFido.com. If you don't belong to AAA it would be a good investment, they have great travel books which list the hotels, amenities, approximate pricing and whether or not the doors are hallway/interior or parking lot exposure.

Pack a small bag for each trip in/out of the hotels overnight, so that you aren't burdened with dog, purse, suitcase, dog bowls, food etc. each time you have to check in and out of the hotel.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 AM

30,279 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In some states the state law doesn't allow any animals in rooms. I want to think NC and SC fall into that category.
Nope. I stayed in a Best Western in SC. Didn't even have reservations, just went in and asked for a room and let them know I had dogs.

Best Western and Holiday Inns will allow pets.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:38 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,675,625 times
Yes.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:36 PM

548 posts, read 1,980,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Yes, I have a cell. It's MetroPCS service and I think it only has service in or near major cities. When I made the drive last year I had no service in parts of the Carolinas and Virginia.
pickup a cheap tracfone and use it only for where you can't get service. You can probably find double minutes phones and then for $20 you can get a 60 min card that will double to 120 min that's good for 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel