Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:54 AM

79 posts, read 394,742 times

Advertisements

I'm not that big of a fan of Mediterranean climates, mostly because of the cool wet winters and the dangers that come along with the dry summers (like that dreaded four-letter F word). I love tropical weather where it's not TOO hot but warm enough to get out and swim outside without freezing to death either. This rules out anywhere in California or really anywhere in the entire continental US. The best climates I've liked are on the Mexican plateau at about 3000' to 4000'. Go below that and it gets pretty hot and humid, go above that and you get that unpleasant (for me) California-type chill in the air and it can sometimes freeze (my first disqualifier for an ideal climate). Many parts of the world are great if you like to wear sweaters but I most definitely do not fall into that category. Frankly I don't get this whole seasons thing, cold weather to me is just a big nuisance that ruins plans. If I have some urgent need for snow I'll go somewhere where it exists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 AM

272 posts, read 1,510,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
In truth Hawaii has nearly whatever climate you could possibly desire. If the coastal regions are too warm for you simply move upslope (at least on Maui and the Big Island - which have very high mountains) until you find the climate you want. At the 3,000-4,000 foot levels it's almost always in the 70's during the day year-round. At the coast it ranges from highs in the upper 70's in the winter to the upper 80's in the summer (but again, usually with a nice afternoon breeze).
Yup. Kamuela (aka Waimea) on the Big Island is perfect for me. Along about Jan. and Feb. you'll need a jacket and a fireplace as it gets a little "crispy" at night and in the early mornings. Just cold enough to make it interesting, and the days are perfect year round. To top it off, the ocean is only a half hour or so away. For me Kamuela is the best place in the world, and it's drop dead gorgeous to boot. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford to live there again.

Approaching Kamuela

How happy to be a horse on Parker Ranch...

Old 11-30-2007, 09:20 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Yup, Upcountry is incredibly lovely - in fact Upcountry Maui was actually my favorite area of that island. In truth on vacation I probably wouldn't stay there since like most folks I go to Hawaii for the beaches - but if I lived in Hawaii, I would definitely be drawn to Upcountry. It's about as perfect as perfect can be - not at all what people think of when they think of Hawaii - much more temperate-looking and pastoral, but beautiful none-the-less.

... and the views you get from up there are breathtaking.

Ken

PS - not yet been to the Big Island yet. Returning to Kauai though in 5 days - and very much looking forward to it.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:56 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
Default Climate - San Diego and Hawaii

I live half the year in San Diego and half on Oahu. The best of both worlds.

I have lived in New York, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Hawaii, Guam, Maryland, Virginia, Northern California and Southern California

For climate, I prefer Oahu, but San Diego is fine.

Hank

Old 01-09-2008, 03:11 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
My first thought was the medditeranean climate. Someone mentioned the forest fires in california and that is a concern.

Some mentioned Costa Rica and Florida and Greece. Never been to Costa Rica but nearby Panama is tropical - lots of humidity and rain, lots of it, very uncomfortable climate. Florida is only slightly less so, uncomfortably hot 9 months out of the year, with thunderstorms every afternoon in the summer. Greece - very very hot during the summer.

I personally like a change of seasons, mild in the summer and winter but still a little snow in the winter and a heat wave or two, with a little less of the humidity in the rest of the south, during the summer. So my vote is the mountanous regions of TN and NC.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:27 AM

2 posts, read 11,800 times
Our ideal climate would be never above 80° with low humidity in summer, and cold winters with lots of snow. I need the change of seasons, fall is my favorite time of year, I love the colors and sounds and smells of that time of year. I cannot deal with humdity, love snow, and our Labs love the cold and snow, too. My husband is also one who does not tolerate high heat or humidity, though he would prefer not so much snow.

We're looking for a place to retire, where there is a lot of open space, lots of trees and green areas, and we can get acreage at a good price. Mountains are good, but I want enough flat ground to plant a big garden and fruit orchard. The way food prices are going, we want to be able to grow as much of our own food as possible!

We both hate cities and traffic, love the country, and want to have a retriever rescue. We want to save the older dogs that people 'throw away' for whatever reason, and give them a loving, comfortable home for their last years.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:27 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Im guessing its the tropics?
I dont blame you for not liking the cities too much, Im the same way. Its probably a good idea to have a little bit of land if possible, so as to grow your own vegetaion, with the way prices of everything have skyrocketed.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 8,742 times
I have lived in Central Europe for 35 years, 18 years on the East Coast in the USA and 5 years in Southern California. I have travelled most of this world and the best climate is something very personal. Everybody has its own preferences with snow, heat, cold, 4 seasons etc. But talking strictly weather, I would say that some spots in Costa Rica are just perfect. One of the mildest climates in Europe is on a tiny Island called Brissago on the Lago Maggiore in Southern Switzerland, a few miles from the Italian Border. I also have to include Hawaii and some South Pacific Islands.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:09 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busi View Post
I have lived in Central Europe for 35 years, 18 years on the East Coast in the USA and 5 years in Southern California. I have travelled most of this world and the best climate is something very personal. Everybody has its own preferences with snow, heat, cold, 4 seasons etc. But talking strictly weather, I would say that some spots in Costa Rica are just perfect. One of the mildest climates in Europe is on a tiny Island called Brissago on the Lago Maggiore in Southern Switzerland, a few miles from the Italian Border. I also have to include Hawaii and some South Pacific Islands.
Ahhhhhhhh those South Pacific islands - heaven on earth.
Man I miss them.
(sigh).

Ken

Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 8,440 times
Default Best climate in the world

It is definitely Lakeside. Chapala & Ajijic, Mexico just 40 minutes southeast of Guadalajara. Thanks to the 5000 ft elevation and being on Mexico's largest lake ( about 50 miles long) It is home to a huge numer of xpats from U.S. and Canada and Europe. There is never a need for airconditioning nor heating. The temperature can reach between 75 & 90 in the summer However, In the shade it is always cool. (April & May) During the rainy season (June through September) it is gorgeous. The rains come only at night and dry up by morning. But it brings out the lush beauty of the area. The range of temperatures is about 60-90 year round. People who come here never want to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel