Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,805 times

Advertisements

I studied abroad in college, at a center run by my American university and shared with other American universities. Tuition was the same as at home, but we had to pay much more in living expenses to stay in the dorm and go on the field trips, etc. I was on scholarship, and there was an extra stipend to help with some of the expenses - and I worked hard the summer before to save up enough to pay the rest of the required expenses. I think my parents provided me with some money, less than $1k.

That one semester abroad let me visit 5 countries - Italy (where I lived), Greece (weekend trip paid for by fiancé's grandmother, who was visiting), Switzerland and Germany (spring break, paid by me), France (where my flight left). I was completely and totally broke when I returned, but I had another summer job lined up.

Got married, and together we earned about 70k. We saved a lot (expenses were very minimal because we were used to being college-student poor) and tried to take a big vacation every 2-3 years. Some were within the US, some were overseas.

He got a job with a company that did a job rotation for new employees to decide which field they liked best. Hubby volunteered for a temporary position in Canada, so the company paid for us to live there for 3 months. We did a lot of weekend travel within Alberta. I was a SAHM at this point, so it was easy for us to pick up and go.

Travel is a permanent line-item in the budget, and represents about 3.25% of gross income. I am in a field with high salaries and live in an area with a low COL, which helps We alternate less expensive driving vacations one year with a longer and more expensive vacation the next. I also have 3 kids...and sometimes they aren't invited. That keeps costs down and lets us take more adult-friendly vacations (kids aren't ready for museums).

I generally plan vacations 12-24 months out. That gives me plenty of time to save and to investigate ways to do what I want for less. For example, I planned to go to Disneyworld this year. I started looking at hotel fees (because I want to stay in the park) and was not happy with the price. We decided it was smarter to go to Disneyland and stay at a hotel within a 5 minute walk. Saved a bunch of money and still got to do the things the little kids really wanted to do, plus I got the convenience factor of not having to ride the bus to the park. I've been looking into next year's vacation for 6 months, and I think I know what the 2016 vacation destination is, although we are still negotiating timeframe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:57 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I'm with you. I could do a lot with 50 to 80k! I'm single and I make decent enough for my area, but it's still difficult paying all the bills myself much less having a lot over for travel. I hope you enjoy your trip!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Nicaragua is on my to-go list. We just got a great deal on a trip to Costa Rica, so it will have to wait. We go where the deals on airfare are, so it may be awhile. Have fun!
I'd love to go to Costa Rica as well & I really want to zip line there. I read about Little Corn Island in Budget Travel magazine years ago, like maybe 8 years or so? That place has been #1 in my head ever since but I never thought I'd be able to go. When my credit line was increased I immediately booked the whole trip, lol. The flight is only $522 which I thought was a pretty good deal considering my flight to Key West in 2011 was over $400! I can't wait to go & do nothing but lay on the beach, no cars, silence.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:12 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,800 times
I'll use my youngest brother as an example. He doesn't make any more money than I make. He lives in a high cost-of-living area and I live in one of the cheapest metropolitan areas. But he's taken three pretty big international trips in eight years. He just sets a target range for what he thinks the trip will cost and works toward it. He's a contract worker, so he's also taken advantage of flexibility. If he sets his goal at the end of his employment, he'll travel for several weeks before returning home and picking up another contract.

I'm pretty much the opposite of him-- a cave dweller, a home body content to travel in the USA. Although I have the money, it's part logistical and part psychological for me. I lack the time component flexibility, and I'm consumed by the general stress of travel and fear of being the fish-out-of-water anyway. I want to be able to relax on vacations.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I'll use my youngest brother as an example. He doesn't make any more money than I make. He lives in a high cost-of-living area and I live in one of the cheapest metropolitan areas. But he's taken three pretty big international trips in eight years. He just sets a target range for what he thinks the trip will cost and works toward it. He's a contract worker, so he's also taken advantage of flexibility. If he sets his goal at the end of his employment, he'll travel for several weeks before returning home and picking up another contract.

I'm pretty much the opposite of him-- a cave dweller, a home body content to travel in the USA. Although I have the money, it's part logistical and part psychological for me. I lack the time component flexibility, and I'm consumed by the general stress of travel and fear of being the fish-out-of-water anyway. I want to be able to relax on vacations.
Yes, it all depends on what someone needs as far as travel.

People who need to travel will travel -- there are many ways to travel. Even if it's just a weekend trip out of town or you camp out at your destination. For example, you want to see a museum or amusement park or something in another place, you can fly and rent a 4 star hotel or you can find a nearby campground.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:42 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
How do I travel so much? By saving money. Travelling is really fun, much better than wasting money here on useless junk. I ditched the consumerism years ago and found that I had much more money to spend on real life experiences, and thus more travel.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:36 AM

996 posts, read 1,898,250 times
My Fraternity pays for a lot of our travel costs, and my trip to Israel was free, and if I go to Canada, It'll be a reduced price.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:43 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
This is a question that has been on my head ever since I joined these boards (well long before but this is the only place that focus on it) and have seen so many posters talking about their expericnes over seas. I just read this thread and this poster said something along the lines of "I have lived in the Caribbean and traveled to 5 nations/territories (multiple islands) thus far. I briefly studied in the UK and traveled to 8 European nations in total". How!?

What is it exactly that people could do for a living at where they are able to afford the cost of flight, room and board and traveling expenses and food. If you studied aboard--that is still very expensive! Cost of tuition is more not to mention you generally have to make an upfront payment fee to the school to even be considered. Just how much credit do you have ? I am sorry but these trips sound as if they are reaching into the 5-10 thousand marks and for people like me that is really pushing it beyond the limit. Credit ? I doubt many 'smart' people would willing put themselves in that much debt for this.

How are you guys able to take time off of work for such a long period of time and not in the least bit be concerned about money or other issues. I am asking because (much like everyone else) I desperately want to travel more but I severely lack the funding to do so. I am a college student who just recently got released from a temp job who has about 3 months left on a car payment. I wont even mention how I see my living situation changing soon.

So please inform me. You guys are clearly doing something I am not. If you do not wanna spill 'The Secret" then damn it (!) PM me because I wanna be in on this secret society!
People who travel a lot make a point of figuring out how to do so. A $5000 trip can be paid for by saving $500/month for 10 months. That is easier for some people than others, but it can be done (on a longer time frame if your budget does not allow it). Keep in mind that you have to eat whether you are traveling or at home, and cooking your own meals while traveling is, in fact, an option. Inexpensive accommodations can be found in even expensive cities. The flight itself is an expense, but transatlantic flights during the shoulder season can be had in the ~$800 round trip range if you leave near a good airport--cheaper off-peak.

A lot of people who study abroad are paying no more in tuition than their home institution's fees. Again there is a plane ticket, but you can cover a plane ticket and get some savings together with a summer job. If your institution has study abroad programs, then they probably are able to show you how to use your existing method of paying tuition to pay for tuition at the foreign institution.

Adults with careers often have paid vacation time. As you are a college student, you can a) figure out if study abroad is feasible, or b) build a career that will pay you enough and offer you enough vacation time to travel. You could also pursue a career overseas--many college grads teach English abroad, and the market is strong in China and Southeast Asia for English teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I studied abroad in college, at a center run by my American university and shared with other American universities. Tuition was the same as at home, but we had to pay much more in living expenses to stay in the dorm and go on the field trips, etc. I was on scholarship, and there was an extra stipend to help with some of the expenses - and I worked hard the summer before to save up enough to pay the rest of the required expenses. I think my parents provided me with some money, less than $1k.

That one semester abroad let me visit 5 countries - Italy (where I lived), Greece (weekend trip paid for by fiancé's grandmother, who was visiting), Switzerland and Germany (spring break, paid by me), France (where my flight left). I was completely and totally broke when I returned, but I had another summer job lined up.

Got married, and together we earned about 70k. We saved a lot (expenses were very minimal because we were used to being college-student poor) and tried to take a big vacation every 2-3 years. Some were within the US, some were overseas.

He got a job with a company that did a job rotation for new employees to decide which field they liked best. Hubby volunteered for a temporary position in Canada, so the company paid for us to live there for 3 months. We did a lot of weekend travel within Alberta. I was a SAHM at this point, so it was easy for us to pick up and go.

Travel is a permanent line-item in the budget, and represents about 3.25% of gross income. I am in a field with high salaries and live in an area with a low COL, which helps We alternate less expensive driving vacations one year with a longer and more expensive vacation the next. I also have 3 kids...and sometimes they aren't invited. That keeps costs down and lets us take more adult-friendly vacations (kids aren't ready for museums).

I generally plan vacations 12-24 months out. That gives me plenty of time to save and to investigate ways to do what I want for less. For example, I planned to go to Disneyworld this year. I started looking at hotel fees (because I want to stay in the park) and was not happy with the price. We decided it was smarter to go to Disneyland and stay at a hotel within a 5 minute walk. Saved a bunch of money and still got to do the things the little kids really wanted to do, plus I got the convenience factor of not having to ride the bus to the park. I've been looking into next year's vacation for 6 months, and I think I know what the 2016 vacation destination is, although we are still negotiating timeframe.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:45 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,394,271 times
I spend money, but I don't waste it when I travel. I stay in 4/5 star hotels, but I always shop around online for discounts on travel expenses.

A big part of it is number of travels.

For one, it is pretty cheap to travel, domestic or intl. For two it is more expensive but still not bad. Any more then three people and things skyrocket.

For 5 travelers, you need at least two hotel rooms, and that is another big expense.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:52 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post

Exactly my point. Plan the vacation out in advance, figure how much it is going to cost, then save for it. Simple matter is most people don't want to do this. They want to go on vacation tomorrow and have the money given to them or in someway "appear" to take a trip.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Exactly my point. Plan the vacation out in advance, figure how much it is going to cost, then save for it. Simple matter is most people don't want to do this. They want to go on vacation tomorrow and have the money given to them or in someway "appear" to take a trip.
This! I usually start to book a trip a year (or more for certain European trips) in advance. I pay deposits, and begin to book things like museum tickets and ground transportation as plans begin to solidify. For example, as soon as I can, I will be booking Eurostar tickets for next year, as the closer you get, the more expensive they get. So I pay for many things in advance. For next years vacation, by the time we get there I'll have less than $1500 in expenses that I still need to pay for--most of that are meals. I don't count grocery store food (we're renting a flat) as we'd be buying that if we were staying home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel