Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 01:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,072 times

Advertisements

live frugally and get good travel deals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
No disrespect intended, but that sounds like very bad advice. While I agree that you'll need a decent income to travel, it seems foolish to take the most high paying job just to be able to travel IF/when you're not working. A better approach is to be careful about saving vs spending, be reasonable in your expectations, and make a point to travel when you can.
I guess my point is that if you major in sociology, you have low prospects of ever making more than $40K a year. Instead, major in urban planning where you start at $40K and can earn into the $90's after 10 years. Additionally, urban planners will also have some travel component in their work.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:54 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,933 times
I'm planning a second visit to Ireland (Killarney and then train to Dublin) in May, and a few days in London. Basically, I cut expenses leading up to my trip, and I pay off legs of the trip on every other payday. Hotels are already booked via booking.com, so I will pay when I arrive at the hotel. I stay at very pleasant 3-starish hotels... some 3 stars are like 4 stars really, IMO. I could go all cheap and save tons by staying in hostels, but I'm a fully grown woman with cosmetic needs, and I want to live in complete comfort and safety. The trip will set me back around $4k, but it's worth every penny.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:17 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Travel is one way corporations can spend their cash and profits. Most of the people I know just do it that way. They travel on company expense.( and have receipts for each and every dollar they spend and get is reimbursed)

Old 12-29-2014, 11:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Travel is one way corporations can spend their cash and profits. Most of the people I know just do it that way. They travel on company expense.( and have receipts for each and every dollar they spend and get is reimbursed)
Business travel isn't all fun and games. I do a lot of it, and rarely have time to do any sightseeing. Best I can usually get out of it is dinner with a friend who lives in the area I'm traveling to. Worst is 16 hour days, nights in marginal hotels with delivered pizza while I work on a proposal due the next morning.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:37 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,957 times
My secrets to traveling

1. Make it a priority in life. Travel out of the country at least once a year for 2 weeks.
2. Take opportunities when they arise. Thinking that the $1000 airfare is expensive compared to the normal $600 to Peru might make you miss out on a dream vacation to Machu Pichu and Amazon jungle. I almost did that a few years ago and thank goodness I decided to just d=go for it.
3. When young I did locum jobs during short vacations in England and used the extra money to wander and see the local countryside. Paid for itself.
4. Try to get a good job that pays decent wages. That will help fund the expensive European travel.
5. Drive a older Honda and live in a modest house.
6. Decide what you want. I would hate to spend hundreds of dolars on a Disney vacation or riding roller coasters in Universal while I could be trekking in Cambodia or vacation in Vietnam. Other than airfare those countries are much cheaper than money spent on a Disney vacation.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:54 PM

256 posts, read 311,801 times
When I was living in Europe, I had 5 weeks payed vacation plus all holidays and it was easy to travel when you have time on your side.
Some countries have 14 salaries per year, so that covers your summer and winter vacation.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:51 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I traveled on business almost every week for 18 years. The nice part was the huge expense report, nice meals, nice hotels, first class seats on planes and accumulating tons of miles. Unfortunately, you never have time for sightseeing and constant travel wears you out. I am so happy to not go to the airport every week.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:28 AM

961 posts, read 2,027,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
This is a question that has been on my head ever since I joined these boards (well long before but this is the only place that focus on it) and have seen so many posters talking about their expericnes over seas. I just read this thread and this poster said something along the lines of "I have lived in the Caribbean and traveled to 5 nations/territories (multiple islands) thus far. I briefly studied in the UK and traveled to 8 European nations in total". How!?

What is it exactly that people could do for a living at where they are able to afford the cost of flight, room and board and traveling expenses and food. If you studied aboard--that is still very expensive! Cost of tuition is more not to mention you generally have to make an upfront payment fee to the school to even be considered. Just how much credit do you have ? I am sorry but these trips sound as if they are reaching into the 5-10 thousand marks and for people like me that is really pushing it beyond the limit. Credit ? I doubt many 'smart' people would willing put themselves in that much debt for this.
When I go, I'd rather have sustainable debt and the memories of places, than a perfect credit score, zero debt and having lived a straight edged boring life.

I realize that's an exaggerated binary choice but point is not everything about one's life has to be based on finances and an obsession with living by the book financially. Enjoying life is also good and ok.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:02 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,902,256 times
I always check out those flight deal maps. You know the maps where you type in your home airport and it displays a map of the current deals to anywhere in the world. One can save half to 2/3 off a given flight. Traveling across the country for $250-300 round trip is quite good, I think. I mean I could be in Panama (the country) for $520 round.

What people don't realize is that the spending on the airfare is countered by the savings at the location, exotic locations. Personally I like expat areas of countries. I don't do the whole built up tourist thing (Cancun) but I like a nightlife and things to do. Sure white sands are nice but desolate white sands get old fast for me. So I look for something in between the two. When you're spending 80 cents for bottled beer and eating freshly caught fish, that's my type of vacation.

I would much rather my children experience the shores and culture of some far off land than Disney World. Ha, and probably do it cheaper also. Not that I need to be frugal with money but I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel