Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 07:14 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,093 times

Advertisements

Savings and discounts/loopholes. A lot people simply don't save enough of their income.

As a Working Class person, you either spend your money on small luxury goods or travel, it is not feasible to have both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 07:16 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmar View Post
I work full time. No gap years.
My passion is photography and I travel every chance I get to go to interesting places to take pjotos.
Here is where I have been to since 2006 (just over 10 years)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
How do I do it?
No kids, a wife that has the same interests to travel and not have ids.
I have a union job - God bless unions and I pity anti-union folks who hate unions. Hope they enjoy their 2 weeks a year.
As I have over 15 years service at work I get 5 weeks paid vacation a year plus 2 additional days. I always travel over Xmas so that I get 3 more days vacation (the statutory days don't count).
I live in a major city and use public transit and bicycle to get to work. Carless living saves thousands of bucks a year.
Having no kids definitely helps!

Old 04-06-2017, 09:22 AM

491 posts, read 474,294 times
People who travel a lot are either working in a travel-related workplace, are college students that are traveling mom and dad's money, are college students and are on break or are retired adults that have time to travel. You could also do it the way lots of people I know travel, which is to work a few months, save up $5,000 and then travel, and then come back home work again and then spend it all over again. They basically spend all the money they earn on traveling. Traveling is not that expensive once you get there, because you're basically just paying for the flight and you can stay in cheap hostels, etc.

I personally think traveling is overrated. I would rather just visit places nearby me and save up money for better things like a home, but that's just me. I just don't see the point in blowing thousands of dollars of hard earned money, just to visit a place. If I were a multimillionaire, then it wouldn't be a big deal.

However, some of my friends are people that love traveling, so more power to them.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:08 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,177,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
People who travel a lot are either working in a travel-related workplace, are college students that are traveling mom and dad's money, are college students and are on break or are retired adults that have time to travel. You could also do it the way lots of people I know travel, which is to work a few months, save up $5,000 and then travel, and then come back home work again and then spend it all over again. They basically spend all the money they earn on traveling. Traveling is not that expensive once you get there, because you're basically just paying for the flight and you can stay in cheap hostels, etc.

I personally think traveling is overrated. I would rather just visit places nearby me and save up money for better things like a home, but that's just me. I just don't see the point in blowing thousands of dollars of hard earned money, just to visit a place. If I were a multimillionaire, then it wouldn't be a big deal.

However, some of my friends are people that love traveling, so more power to them.
That's the best part of being an Adult, you can place your priorities in the order you desire!

Old 04-06-2017, 11:22 AM

26 posts, read 52,692 times
SAVE SAVE SAVE! And research cities that are budget friendly

Old 04-06-2017, 07:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB0909 View Post
I get the saving $ and budgeting for trips, but how do most of you get away with taking that kind of time for work? ...are you the rare unicorns who have been with the same company for 20 years and have a lot of leave?
some of both...
1) Work for a BIG company with lots of resources to back fill your position.
2) Schedule your LT trip within the constraints of your work responsibilities. (My projects lasted about 20 - 26 months, then cycled. so I would pre-schedule time off at end of project)
3) Take LOA (Leave without pay and no guarantee of job on return) I did that often and always came back to a job (lucky)
4) Benevolent employer who values time off for employees (My employer allowed us to take all summer off, if we trained a technical educator to do our engineering job)
5) Setting the priority.
6) 30+ yrs at same (previously) great employer
7) liberal leave policy (Flex hours + could take up to 29 days in a row w/o pay and not lose benefits)

Old 04-06-2017, 11:06 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
That's the best part of being an Adult, you can place your priorities in the order you desire!
Yep. I remember as a child always being puzzled why adults who can choose to eat whatever they wanted wouldn't just eat candy, ice cream, etc. for lunch and dinner. I always vowed that when my time came, there would be a fridge filled with cake and nothing else.

Strangely that didn't stick since as an adult I rarely eat sweets. Not sure when this change in viewpoints happened.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:18 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
unfortunately due to peer pressure, a lot of folks take other people's priority as their own priority - for example, owning a beautiful large suburban house, two cars etc etc.

It is actually not that easy to place priorities.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:30 PM

382 posts, read 366,266 times
Quote:

"Better things" are just that things. Some people value things.

Other people value experiences. And traveling is a great experience.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:06 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,884,804 times
Quote:

Home is not better things. It is expensive burden for people who want to keep up with the Joneses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel