Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Best situation for traveling is to work at an international school.
Nah man, best is retired early with 365 days available for travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 01:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Best situation for traveling is to work at an international school.....
Though 'retired' (in my 40's) we prefer above situation (tho we 'volunteer' in schools / camps, usually w/ free room and board).

The international relationships gained in school / training / local events gives you time to engage in the community and seems to make our experience richer. Using an international school as a 'hub for travel' teams you up with some interesting people!

We each have our own ways to enjoy the travel experience.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:12 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
A 4 year thread!

How to travel cheap?

Fly off season, wait for fare sales ( there are plenty right now)

If you're young stay in hostels or couchsurfing; airBnB; 2 star hotels or local B&Bs; if you have to stay in a typical chain/3*+ hotel go in the off season. Learn how to game the auction section of travelocity (for chain hotels).

Stay at places that include breakfast with the room; eat lunch at small local cafes/street food vendors or have your main big special meal at the fancy restos at mid day for the luncheon menu prices; don't eat in the same neighborhood that hotels are clustered in or in the commercial/touristic centers - look for a residential area.

Focus your sights on less expensive countries: Spain, Greece, Portugal, SE Asia (except Singapore), etc... keep an eye on where the dollar is strong (assuming you're U.S.) Always go in the off season!

This week I saw RT airfare US/Portugal or Spain for $340, you can get a clean room near the beach in Portugal for $60/nt with breakfast, eat locally not at the tourist cafes/pubs, etc... thats 8-10 days abroad at a hotel near a beach for a bit over $1K all in. You can do it cheaper too!

Old 04-25-2017, 10:09 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,056 times
I have no kids, I'm a teacher (so long breaks off), and my dad worked for a company that gave out vacations to Caribbean islands as a bonus (no lie).

I went to a bunch of Caribbean places as a kid because of my dad's company. They were always fun because I got to meet and hang out with other kids from all over the country who's parents worked for the company.

I went to South America (Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay) for a summer in college, as the person I was dating at the time was from down there. We were able to stay with his family for most of the time, and stayed in hostels when we went to other countries. I went to Europe in the off-season (March), which in addition to being much cheaper, was also far less crowded then the summer. Again, we stayed in a hostel in London and a AirBnb in Paris. Both those cities are expensive, so we ate at cheaper places and bought our own booze. I went to the Dominican Republic last year, and used Groupon to get an amazing deal on flight/all-inclusive. The dates we were able to choose from were limited, and it was during hurricane season, but the weather was great and we had an awesome time. This summer, I'll be spending two months in China and Thailand, both countries that can be had on the cheap.

So a combination of having a job with a lot of time off, learning how to plan trips cheaply and efficiently, and devoting most of my personal savings during the year to travel has allowed me to see a good chunk of the world. Being kid-free (and planning to stay that way) helps too!

Old 07-23-2017, 08:07 PM

482 posts, read 399,178 times
I've never been able to afford even a healthy fraction of all the travel I'd love to do. It has forced me to focus on quality of travel rather than quantity of travel. I'm no jet-setter, but I've been able to gradually accumulate a decent portfolio of travel experiences that continues to (slowly) grow.

I know this thread is more focused on international travel, but when we're talking domestically I think many people underestimate the opportunities for travel provided by relocation. What I mean is most people, throughout a five-to-ten year period, will find cause to at least briefly visit all the major cities or recreational areas within a half-day's drive of where they live. So if we become familiar with our regions of origin, plus relocate two or three times as adults to different regions and become familiar with them as well, that would really be all it takes to have generally covered the key places in our country.

Example: Person (A) is born and raised in Philadelphia. Their parents take them on regular trips to New York, and less often to Baltimore and DC. At least once they'll be taken to spend a weekend in Boston. Boom! Just like that they've been to all the major cities on the East Coast by the time they're 18.

Let's say (A) wants to go to college in a Midwestern party town like ... Madison, Wisconsin. After four years in Madison (A) will likely have spent several weekends in Milwaukee and Chicago partying with or visiting the homes of his/her friends. At one point they may have even landed a coveted summer internship in Chicago, then during the summer they spent living in Chicago were able to have a weekend getaway to Minneapolis. Boom! Just like that they've experienced the most major Midwestern cities also.

Upon graduation (A) is fed up with long, dark dreary winters. (A) heads to LA to make a life there. It's extremely expensive and has horrible traffic, and staying afloat is a constant struggle, but (A) loves it so much he/she sticks it out for 15 long years. During the 15 years they make occasional visits to San Diego for the nice change of pace, and at least one visit to San Francisco. At least once (A) heads to Phoenix for a blind date that does not turn out so well. Soon enough Vegas becomes the preferred spot for the annual girls/guys trips (A) takes. During one of the Vegas trips the group decides on a whim to go see the Grand Canyon. Boom! Just like that (A) has seen the most significant cities and landmarks on the West Coast.

But the expense and the traffic in Southern California finally gets to be too much. (A) is finally married and isn't confident about the prospect of raising a family in the area. One of the new in-laws mentions an opportunity in Houston. (A) reluctantly heads south.

Houston slowly grows on (A), and for the first time in (A)'s adult life there's hefty disposable income. For work (A) must regularly visit San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas-Fort Worth. (A) does regular weekend getaways to New Orleans. As a 10-year wedding anniversary celebration, (A) takes the family to a South Florida beach resort, with long layovers on both sides of the trip in Atlanta. Boom! Just like that (A) has morphed into a Southerner.

And that's my long-winded example of how even someone with generally modest economic means can have seen almost all of the most major cities in the country by age 45 or so. Again, just relocate two or three times and gradually take small trips to every interesting city or landmark near your residence. Throw in a couple of nice vacations and Boom! -- you're eligible to brag about it all on City-Data.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:49 PM

337 posts, read 276,598 times
I work in education (not a teacher but same schedule) so I have a long summer break, a 2 week winter break, and a 1-2 week spring break (depends on the calendar). I also rarely call in sick because I save those days for a 4 day off work break (that coincidentally ends up with a 3 day weekend...). I am single, no kids, no debt, and would describe myself as quite frugal. I know people swear by Couchsurfing, but I'm not comfortable staying with someone I don't know even if they have plenty of reviews. I feel weird about it and would rather just stay somewhere cheap.

During the summer I rarely actually travel unless I got some last minute trip super cheap (rarely happens) or it's something just for a few days. Main reason is because I really just like laying in the pool here for the summer and getting caught up on TV instead of exploring and meeting people. The price is a factor, but it's moreo that I just want to relax at home.

I use sites like Momondo and Skiplagged to research cheap airfare and book from there. While I have some miles saved, I only save them for the off peak times (hence why I call in sick for a cheap trip). I have no airline loyalty and just for for the cheapest flight with the best times. I also rarely check anything in anymore and deliberately use a larger on bag that you are supposed to use.

I use public transportation wherever it is reasonable to do so with time. I will only splurge on a cab or Uber if I feel it's not worth my time on a bus or subway.

For lodging if I will be in a city for maybe more than 3 nights I will use AIRBNB and have always been able to haggle prices with the owner. I will only use AIRBNB if it's cheaper than the closest cleanest hotel and if the host can accommodate my arrival time (if I'm there when they aren't there, I don't want to drag luggage with me or go back and forth to an airport for a luggage hold). Most of the time for motels and hotels I just use Hotwire and Priceline. I love using Priceline and find it kind of exciting even though sometimes you can easily figure out the hotel. Yeah once in awhile I didn't like where I stayed, but the value is excellent. I'm not that picky with the hotel itself as long as there is a good wifi signal and it's clean. I also get travel agent discounts (work as home based agent very part time), but rarely use them since I get better deals through Hotwire and Priceline anyway. I also get 1 anniversary night a year due to my IHG card (only $49 a year!) that you could use at ANY IHG property. I've used it at very posh places I would normally never stay at. I get the same thing through Hyatt (theirs is $75 a year I think) but they restrict it to their lower level tiers. It's a bit annoying since they change their tiers a lot, but I still end up ahead by keeping the card. I do use hostels but only if they are significantly cheaper than motels.

For free wifi at places like Marriot and the Westin, I just become a member of their "club". It's free. A lot of people complain about paying for wifi at those hotels. Just make a deliberately email address for your spam and use it for them. I get complimentary wifi for IHG, Hyatt, and Hilton properties because I have their credit cards.

I don't pay for things that are organized unless I feel that it's good value and worth it. When I was in Rome, I did spend money to do an organized tour where I was able to bypass lines at the Colosseum, get the history, and go to closed off sections of it that you could only see with a tour. I also will pay for tours if it's something I'm really interested in and read all that I could about. I will spend $$$ to avoid lines because my time is too valuable to waste.

For food I make use of any hotel or motel that offers an included breakfast even if it is just a piece of fruit, a bowl of cereal, and a cup of coffee. I don't like eating heavy in the morning anyway. If a place doesn't include breakfast I will usually just get a pastry and a cup of coffee, or if I'm in a rush eat a Balance Bar with a piece of fruit and drink water with it. I always bring with me some Balance Bars, and try to always have some pieces of fruit and bottled water in a room. For things like lunch and dinner, I don't usually eat out at normal sit down restaurants. I'm always a solo traveler and while I'm quite secure with myself, I always feel lonely when I eat by myself. Sometimes I will just read, but that only works some of the time for me. I'll usually just get food to go or eat something very, very casual like a sandwich shop or pizza parlor. I will get over my loneliness at eat a place where the food looks amazing though lol. I also love just going to supermarkets even if I don't have a fridge, microwave, or stove. I'll just load up the ice bucket and put things in it. If it's too large, I put things in large zip locks and put ice in there too. In some countries though it is not common to have an ice machine or fridge in your room. I do try to stay at places where I know that they have one, but if a place doesn't have 1 and is much cheaper, I'll take the cheaper hotel as I could just get food to go anyway.

I don't buy clothing or souvenirs unless something really catches my eye. Haven't done that since I was a kid. I maybe will buy a magnet or two or myself and my parents, but nothing usually more than that.

I'm also not a big drinker. I may do the occasional happy hour but never get more than 2 drinks.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
I worked hard, lived modestly, saved as much money as possible, while still taking (modest) domestic and international vacations and having a good time.

Now I'm retired, I travel a lot. Four-five months at a time domestically (RVing) and one major international trip every year or so. I still live modestly but my money goes for travel.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:56 AM

115 posts, read 98,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
So please inform me. You guys are clearly doing something I am not. If you do not wanna spill 'The Secret" then damn it (!) PM me because I wanna be in on this secret society!
Most of the travelers I found were writing online blog about their travels and gain traction, because every body likes to travel the world and see the wonders. That's where they make money by suggesting products for travel that people would buy, and in return they get the commission. If you get famous, the company itself will contact you for advertisements or brand mention.

You have given me an idea! I would say if you want to do that start with your home country. I am sure there would be people wishing to visit your home country.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:35 PM

285 posts, read 225,231 times
I travel internationally every year. Here's how:

1. Job that offers 3 weeks paid vacation per year
2. Frugal living + decent salary ($70k/yr). I make a point to save half of every paycheck.
3. Focus on low-cost destinations (SE Asia, Eastern Europe, Central America).
4. Set a trip budget of $2,500.

It's all about prioritizing and budgeting. I think it's hilarious how some people on here think that you have to go into debt or that you're lying if you say that you do a lot of travelling. Some people just don't know how to manage their money. It isn't rocket science.

Last edited by Old Sol; 07-26-2017 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-28-2017, 07:00 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
I started reading the thread and when I found out how old it was, I skipped to the last page. I did see enough posts to generally confirm what I already knew, due to the experience of raising a family with three kids.

The best chance to have a life full of travel is to have no kids, or have a fantastic job paying a lot of money. The rest is just commitment to your desired lifestyle. Even better is to find a life partner to marry that shares the same goals, especially if both of you do not want kids.

DINK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel