Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 03:54 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times

Advertisements

Low everyday housing costs while saving money, no kids, staying in hostels etc, finding cheaper flights, using credit cards or certain sites and getting points (although I haven't really done this.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 06:22 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondu54 View Post
I am non-materialistic.
What I love most about myself is my humility!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:17 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Poker has allowed me to stay abroad for long periods of time.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:41 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times
People's finances, situations, and priorities differ radically. As I hope this thread has proven, travel itself can vary radically.

With a motorcycle, saddlebags, passport, and a map, you can see head from the US to Buenos Aires and see some amazing stuff along the way. Most of your route will feature extremely low cost-of-living areas. If one doesn't want to deal with the language barriers, you can explore the US and Canada in this method.

I went the study abroad route (for full degrees, though). It opened up more personal and professional doors than possible back home. In between, I made a point to see the world. Courtesy of frequent flier miles and to the envy of my friends, I was able to do so mostly from somewhere near the front of the aircraft.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:50 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,210,213 times
Credit card bonuses...

Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
It's called being a successful business owner. Try it sometime.
Forgot to post this before, but I am under the impression that most business owners were too busy with their businesses for frequent and/or protracted leisure travel.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,345,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Forgot to post this before, but I am under the impression that most business owners were too busy with their businesses for frequent and/or protracted leisure travel.
True. I have a few friends who own their own businesses, and they do a lot less traveling then we do.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post

Eh, not mature well run businesses.

If a business owner needs to be there everyday or can't take healthy breaks then they haven't put in the proper systems, or hasn't hired capable people that they trust, or they don't delegate properly.

Especially in this day and age with smart phones, a business owner doesn't really need to be there every day... I'm talking about mature businesses, not start ups / sole proprietorships / tiny shops.

Of course, lots of entrepreneurs can't take that step and delegate and trust, for whatever reason, it really holds back growth (And some don't want to grow). They really own a job, not a business.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:25 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
So please inform me. You guys are clearly doing something I am not. If you do not wanna spill 'The Secret" then damn it (!) PM me because I wanna be in on this secret society!
I know a lot of people who do a lot of traveling, and it fascinates me, too. Some had terrific retirement and have spent money like crazy but have realized that they have to slow down. Others, I suspect have tremendous credit card debt (in fact, I know this to be true of a couple of my friends).

I don't do exotic vacations. We do go to New Orleans every other year for about 2 wks, and it takes me two years to save the CASH to do it. We have to sacrifice a lot of things that other people take for granted, but by golly those treks to N'awlins are paid for by the time we get there.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post

I don't do exotic vacations. We do go to New Orleans every other year for about 2 wks, and it takes me two years to save the CASH to do it. We have to sacrifice a lot of things that other people take for granted, but by golly those treks to N'awlins are paid for by the time we get there.

This is smart. Also the way I do it. Pick my destination, save my vacation time, and save the money for the trip before I go. I refuse to go into debt for a trip. It seems like loads of people come back and spend 6 mos paying off their vacation. Makes no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel