Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else feel like visiting such a large city as NYC is kind of intimidating?

What is a good place to visit if you want to visit an interesting US city, but it's easier to get around than NYC.

Thanks for any suggestions or other thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,712,733 times
Washington is plenty interesting, easy enough to traverse, and a lot smaller than NY. If that's still too big, you can try a smaller (much smaller) city like Charleston, SC. Hard to know what to suggest without knowing more about your interests.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else feel like visiting such a large city as NYC is kind of intimidating?

What is a good place to visit if you want to visit an interesting US city, but it's easier to get around than NYC.

Thanks for any suggestions or other thoughts.
I have been to NYC three times. The first I went solo, the second was with my then GF and the third was last May when my GF and I were married. Manhattan is a very safe city (safer then Toronto, IMO) and very easy to navigate. The grid layout of the city blocks makes it easy to find your way around and the public transit system is one of the most efficient in the world. Forget about the 70's reputation of "The Rotten Apple"... The city was cleaned up in the 80's and 90's and is a fantastic place to visit.

Simply put, there's nothing quite anything like NY anywhere else.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I have been to NYC three times. The first I went solo, the second was with my then GF and the third was last May when my GF and I were married. Manhattan is a very safe city (safer then Toronto, IMO) and very easy to navigate. The grid layout of the city blocks makes it easy to find your way around and the public transit system is one of the most efficient in the world. Forget about the 70's reputation of "The Rotten Apple"... The city was cleaned up in the 80's and 90's and is a fantastic place to visit.

Simply put, there's nothing quite anything like NY anywhere else.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely reconsider it.

I had been thinking of visiting someplace like Las Vegas because the strip is so close to the airport and it seems like there is a lot of interesting stuff concentrated in one area.

But the idea of a smaller city is also appealing.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
NYC is very easy to get around.

If you want one that is more "walkable" I'd suggest San Francisco or Portland, ME.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely reconsider it.

I had been thinking of visiting someplace like Las Vegas because the strip is so close to the airport and it seems like there is a lot of interesting stuff concentrated in one area.

But the idea of a smaller city is also appealing.
Vegas is also a pretty good time, but things can go sideways fast if you wander off the strip, or outside the "Fremont Street Experience". I have done it twice (wandered off-strip) and both times were told by Vegas locals that I was lucky I didn't get stabbed (!). However, the strip itself is one of the safest streets in the world.

Keep in mind that one goes to NY or LV for different reasons. I go to NY for the museums, culture and general ambiance of the city, while LV is much more of a "relive my reckless youth and blow off some steam" kind of vacation.

If you do choose LV, make sure you see the Grand Canyon while there. It truly is a natural wonder.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:22 PM

271 posts, read 600,531 times
I can only speak for NYC. Nothing to be afraid of, just use common sense. But then again you need to do that anywhere you go.

It's extremely easy to get around there, the streets are numbered! People are basically very nice and quite helpful. I think maybe the only thing that might be a bit intimidating is the sheer number of people.

But nothing to be afraid of, go and have a great time!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Sherri View Post
People are basically very nice and quite helpful.
This is true. I've lived and worked in NYC, and the people there are a lot nicer than they get credit for. Sure they get really cranky with each other, but they treat tourists very nicely. Ask a New Yorker for directions and they are likely to say, "I'm headed that way, just follow me" or take your map and draw out really specific directions--including marking a spot to get a great bagel that's on the way. I can't tell you how many times I had a tourist ask for help and I always pulled my bag tight and then tried to help them out.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,834 times
I was always intimidated by NYC until a few years ago. I had stay there for work, and spent a 3-day weekend on my own there. It's a lot friendlier if you break it into sections and neighborhoods. I got my bearings straight and could find my way around on foot, or use the bus and subway system.

Philadelphia is pretty straight forward, and you can take a train from the airport to the downtown. I've also enjoyed Boston, New Orleans, Santa Monica, D.C., and Denver -- just using public transportation.

Where are you coming from?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I was always intimidated by NYC until a few years ago. I had stay there for work, and spent a 3-day weekend on my own there. It's a lot friendlier if you break it into sections and neighborhoods. I got my bearings straight and could find my way around on foot, or use the bus and subway system.

Philadelphia is pretty straight forward, and you can take a train from the airport to the downtown. I've also enjoyed Boston, New Orleans, Santa Monica, D.C., and Denver -- just using public transportation.

Where are you coming from?
I'm from Texas. I am pretty good with maps and would probably study it first pretty well if I decided to plan a trip.

On the other hand, just being unfamiliar with the city, not knowing how to get around, and the crowds, all make it seem a little overwhelming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel