Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 AM

837 posts, read 1,257,391 times

Advertisements

In countries with high crime rates, such as Brazil or Mexico, are the tourist police less corrupt, underpaid, and so forth than the regular police? And in those areas that are patrolled by the tourist police, is there less crime than if they weren't patrolled like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
In countries with high crime rates, such as Brazil or Mexico, are the tourist police less corrupt, underpaid, and so forth than the regular police? And in those areas that are patrolled by the tourist police, is there less crime than if they weren't patrolled like that?
I think tourists are more concerned with getting drunk, laying in the sand, don't speak the language very well and would be a poor choice to use for police.

Last edited by Ghengis; 05-10-2013 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Great question. My perception has always been that they just had a better grasp of the English language. I am interested in finding out the real answer.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
It depends upon which country.

In Mexico, the police expect bribes from tourists and in Brazil you can just plan on being the victim of a felony, or at least a pick pocket.

In Monaco, the tourists are protected like precious gems and crime is not permitted. In most large cities in the USA, Britain, and Europe, crime is pushed out of the tourist areas.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:48 AM

837 posts, read 1,257,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In most large cities in the USA, Britain, and Europe, crime is pushed out of the tourist areas.
But I thought that pickpocketing is much more rife in tourist areas in southern European countries such as Italy and Spain than in those in northern Europe or North America.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,730,417 times
I've had several very close calls with pickpockets, The most nearly successful happened in London on Oxford St., and the train station in Riga Latvia.

Neither one in southern Europe.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Quote:
But I thought that pickpocketing is much more rife in tourist areas in southern European countries such as Italy and Spain than in those in northern Europe or North America.
That is true and also Prague is rife with pickpockets, I have Czech relatives.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
I was in Lima, Peru last year and in the Miraflores District there were tourist police on almost every corner. You could tell the difference: The tourist police had white shirts on. The motel I was staying at told me if anything happened, to go to one of these officers. I stopped and talked with one, briefly. He spoke very good English. I don't know if that area is high in crime, I am assuming so, however it is the tourist area. So, at least Lima took care of the issues. I walked around, at night, even late night, and never felt threatened. I also did not see any crime at all (of course it was occurring).

So, I guess what I am rambling about is: In Lima, it appeared as if they worked and their presence assisted in crime control.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:55 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
In the Honduras, they soke spanish but were helpful with directions. I think their presence coming off cruise ships does deter some of the locals who are up to no good. They did however ask me where I was going and when I told them that I had a tour booked, they sent me on my way. I think they discourage people from walking around on their own.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
In Mexico, "tourist police" are provided in relatively few destinations. Some are drawn from the ranks of otherwise corrupt forces and, therefore, corrupt themselves. But there are places where non-police are recruited and the results are better. My opinion is that, generally, in Mexico, the police are the enemy ... not there to serve and protect (tourists, or regular citizens).

I have some experience in Rio de Janeiro, having visited 4 or 5 times during the past decade. I don't see tourist police in Rio. Relatively few police on foot, either. I have a stronger sense of safety when I'm near a Rio policeman than I do being near one in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel