Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

A two-day meeting beginning today at the National Academy of Sciences in Washington, D.C., will examine how diseases spread on planes and in airports.

With the spread of the H1N1 virus, airlines have taken notice and stocked up on supplies such as gloves, masks and alcohol wipes and increased their cleanings.

Scared of Swine Flu? Avoid Germs and Viruses on a Plane - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 02:51 AM

36 posts, read 127,352 times
Really, with the number and variety of people travelling in planes, good wiping and cleaning should be regular shouldn't it. I heard that the official flights are not sprayed like other flights are when traveling long distance to and/or from Africa and Asia. Can anyone confirm?

Old 09-18-2009, 03:29 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
My best friend who was undergoing treatment for Hep-C flew to visit me 2 years ago.
The medicine she was taking was interferon and other drugs similar to the treatment for aids.
I absolutely told her, if she didn't wear a medical mask, she couldn't come. Those drugs almost destroy your immune system in order to attack the virus.
It seems her doctor never told her that. She thought that her immune system was being boosted by the medicine.
Air in airplanes is a combination of fresh air and cabin air so everyone will receive a sample of whatever everyone else is suffering from.
If you have a weak immune system, you should at least wear a mask and ask your doctor what else you can do to boost your immune system prior to flying.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:12 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
There might be ways to avoid germs but Im not going to be one of those walking around with a surgical mask. If youre going to get sick, youre going to get sick no matter where you go.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
There might be ways to avoid germs but Im not going to be one of those walking around with a surgical mask. If youre going to get sick, youre going to get sick no matter where you go.
that's always been my stance too. I just returned for a trip though and am now quite sick. I think I caught a bug on the trip there since the timing of my becoming ill would seem to indicate. There was one person onboard wearing a face mask. Kinda wish I had worn one now. I feel like sh*t

Old 09-18-2009, 09:47 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Pretty much last year every time I flew I got sick with some nasty cold. Just another thing that puts me off flying.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Invention targets germs on planes - latimes.com

Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,592,242 times
I am so paranoid that I always take bleach wipes and wipe down the entire area of my seat. I figure at least if I touch something it will at least be clean. It's amazing how disgusting the wipes are too when I get done. Might have to start wearing a mask or at least carrying one with me in case my seat mate is coughing/sneezing

Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Use common sense and let your immune system do the rest.

I am a frequent flier and am rarely sick. I know the plane hasn't been cleaned in who knows how long and I keep that in mind. Therefore, I don't stick my hands in my eyes/mouth. If I am going to use my hands to eat on the plane, I will first wipe my hands with a wet wipe (that I ALWAYS carry with me when flying) immediately before eating. It isn't rocket science. I also wash my hands before eating when at work and home. It is the easiest way to not get sick no matter where you are. Aren't people taught this basic hygiene principle as children?

Bottom line, keep your damn hands out of your eyes, nose and mouth unless they have been washed or wiped. If not, have fun transmitting that flu virus or god knows what else you just ate along with your complimentary peanuts

Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
Yeah right, and some of the tips just don't make any sense. Like, "wash your hands, but not in the airplane bathroom". Huh? Or, "drink bottled water". Right. I mean how many bottles can you actually manage to get on a plane? And, "bring a face mask". Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel