Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:04 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times

Advertisements

Besides NYC, I am not sure how DC would be overrated either. There is such a variety of things to see and do in relation to not only the government, but the history of the country, the American "culture" as displayed through the various Smithsonian museums, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 05:12 AM

146 posts, read 323,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabadabadooo View Post
I don't do miserable trips, either, in fact. I enjoy travelling and that's why it's my job. I even enjoy long-distance plane journeys and cramped bus rides in sweltering heat and all the other joys of 'off-the-beaten-path' experiences. I'd suggest that, before blindly insulting my choices of the destinations that after years of being a traveller, I have found to be overrated, you think a while; that maybe your way of travelling isn't right, and that maybe other people have other ways of travelling that they prefer, and maybe not everyone wants your 'advice'. Whatever lead you to believe I have never travelled outside a tourists perspective; believe me I have.

Just my two euros.
Whoa, easy there, Fred. Don't be insulted. My advice wasn't directed solely at you.

Specifically to your situation, though, I just wonder: If you can't have a good time in Berlin or Chicago or San Francisco or Paris or Thailand, etc, then why even bother and continue to travel?

Edited to add a data point.

Number of cities I've traveled (at least 2 days) to in the past 6 years (don't have solid data readily available before that): around 190. Number of trips I didn't like: not a one...

Last edited by SoloTraveler; 12-28-2013 at 05:22 AM..

Old 12-28-2013, 05:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
The poster that didn't like NYC at all amazes me. Did he even bother to step into the Metropolitan Museum or attend am outstanding Broadway Show? I can't wait to go again and maybe this time walk around some of the neighborhoods we missed. There are many.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 12-28-2013 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 12-28-2013, 12:33 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
[quote=Newdaawn;32773001]The poster that didn't like NYC at all amazes me. Did he even bother to step into the Metropolitan Museum or attend am outstanding Broadway Show? QUOTE]

...or eat??

Old 12-28-2013, 06:51 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
I spent a semester in college in DC, and loved it. I do have to say that the White House tour bored my out of my mind though, and it's one of those things I ended up getting dragged through four different times because someone else had tickets from the Hill, and it would have seemed to be impolite to decline since they're often a bit hard to get.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:31 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
I'm thinking you need to distinguish between destinations that are spoiled by tourism and places that are actually overrated. Venice is one of the former, for sure, and certain parts of many cities fall into that category but don't spoil the whole city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Amsterdam - no mystery there either. It's a dirty town and architecturally boring. Once you get past the novelty of the coffeeshops and red light district (or maybe the amazing Rembrandts), there is nothing else.
Absolutely disagree. This may be an example of the a city that has one area that is spoiled by tourism. Amsterdam is a lovely place with many charms, great art galleries, museums and parks.

I also disagree about Barcelona--charming place, I could spend a month there. A bit much on the Ramblas, I agree.

Cancun, Kuta, Ibiza and Venice would be on the list of just plain spoiled places, for me.

Probably Toronto is overrated, but then I'm from there, and don't see why tourists come there.

Athens I don't think is overrated, because people go there with fairly low expectations, and if they do, they can be pleasantly surprised.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
It all comes down to personal preferences. Venice is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe and as such is crawling with tourists and suffers the high prices of a captive market.

But it is still stunningly beautiful and unique with amazing architecture and art. So it's hard to call it overrated regardless of the crowds.
It's funny how people don't want to go where the tourists go. They should stop and ask themselves why tourists are there. It's because those are the most interesting places. There are almost no interesting places on earth that do not have tourists. Venice is a wonderful and unique city. Yes, lots of tourists, but it should be on everyone's bucket list because there is no city on earth like it.

Quote:
Pisa is famous for one thing: the tower. It can be called overrated because the tower doesn't lean as much as people might expect, the rest of the city is generally unremarkable, so the hype doesn't live up to reality.
When I saw it I thought it was going to fall over at any time. The tower is unique and it's story is special.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:06 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
The poster that didn't like NYC at all amazes me. Did he even bother to step into the Metropolitan Museum or attend am outstanding Broadway Show? I can't wait to go again and maybe this time walk around some of the neighborhoods we missed. There are many.
Not everybody likes museums and shows.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Travel Addicts: Seven Overrated Travel Destinations

I've recently returned from Italy, and visited both Venice and Pisa on this list. Venice was unique and beautiful, but I felt the 2 nights and 1 full day spent there was enough. Clogged with tourists, and the canals are cool but I mean, aside from that I didn't feel there was anything that exciting about it to me. Pisa really just is the tower and a few other buildings...Kuta ditto...Bangkok I've always considered a wee bit overrated - I mean it can sure be a fun, interesting city with great architecture and great, cheap food, and entertainment, especially of the less salubrious kind, but I felt it was too ugly, touristy and lacked character, even compared to KL or Singapore.
I find the older I get, everything seems to be overrated.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:34 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Besides NYC, I am not sure how DC would be overrated either. There is such a variety of things to see and do in relation to not only the government, but the history of the country, the American "culture" as displayed through the various Smithsonian museums, etc.
And the neighborhoods as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel