Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:03 AM

405 posts, read 1,279,446 times

Advertisements

I recently flew on a well known airline.
When I claimed my baggage at the other end I found several compartments
half opened and the contents riffled, scoured, and several items missing.
Among them a cell phone charger, sunglasses, and my diabetic test kit.
Why would a baggage handler want to steal a diabetic test kit??
Are they a hot commodity nowadays??
In hindsight I wish I had put locks on my bags.
Rest assured I will do so in the future.
But it's a sad day when you can't even trust the airline you fly to get you
and your belongings to your destination securely.
It's a different world we live in now than when I was a kid.
A very different world indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 05:16 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Sorry to hear that this happened to you.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:03 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Sorry about your experience. In what city was this?

And keep in mind, many hands touch your luggage, not just baggage handlers.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:59 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,787 times
Last time I flew one of my bags was opened and inspected. However, they left a standard letter explaining who opened my suitcase and why. That was US Airways.
I always pack things like chargers, medications and things I can't lose on my carry on. Only clothes and easily replaceable items get checked.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:25 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
It has happened to us a few times, and to our friends several times over the past few years.
We don't pack anything of any consequence, and nothing but 'clothes' or simple stuff that can be easily replaced.

Locks? Forget it: any that fit on a suitcase or bag can be opened by any handler in seconds, and TSA has some req' that says they can/must be opened if they so choose.

When one of the contract idiots that has a hand on your bag along the way in the 'process', they may rip anything they can grab in a very short time; thus stuff that is seemingly of no value to anyone else is scooped in the rip process.

The airlines are aware but could care less, imo.
GL, mD

Old 01-27-2014, 02:07 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,446 times
There was no letter in my bag indicating an inspection was done.
The main compartment and one of the side pockets were left half open as it came
down the carousel at the baggage claim. The sleeve from one of my shirts was
hanging out of the main compartment and clothing inside were completely riffled.
The side pocket was also half open with articles ready to fall out as it slid down the ramp.
Other passengers took note of my bag and were just as surprised as I was.
At first I couldn't believe the careless nature of the handlers.
But upon closer inspection I realized my cell phone charger and a pair of nice sunglasses
and its case were missing from the side pocket. Then I realized my diabetic test kit was
missing from the main compartment as well. Why someone would want that I don't know.

A small bag of extra syringes were also missing.
Both had my Rx facing out for easy inspection in a ziplock freezer bag.
My insulin was in a separate ziplock bag with a blue ice pack inside and not touched.
The security man at my point of origin told me I had to check the kit and the syringes
because there were needles involved and blah, blah, blah. That was fine.
I realize that TSA and other folks have to inspect baggage as part of security.
But they usually put a letter inside when they do.
And they usually have the decency of securing the bag afterward.
This was flat out burglary plain & simple.
This happened on Delta airlines from Detroit to LA...flight#3937 in the morning.
I filed an online complaint with the airline last week but have not heard a single word from them.

Last edited by GM1258; 01-27-2014 at 02:29 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 05:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I think what happened is outrageous.

If it was me I would have made a formal complaint.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
I think you learned the hard way what not to pack in your checked bag. You never, ever pack anything in your checked bag that you cant' afford to lose or don't want to lose.

Yes, you can file a complaint, but doubt anything will happen with it. As someone already said, you can't lock your bag....they will just unlock it.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:44 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
It has happened to us a few times, and to our friends several times over the past few years.
We don't pack anything of any consequence, and nothing but 'clothes' or simple stuff that can be easily replaced.

Locks? Forget it: any that fit on a suitcase or bag can be opened by any handler in seconds, and TSA has some req' that says they can/must be opened if they so choose.

When one of the contract idiots that has a hand on your bag along the way in the 'process', they may rip anything they can grab in a very short time; thus stuff that is seemingly of no value to anyone else is scooped in the rip process.

The airlines are aware but could care less, imo.
GL, mD
A bit dramatic, no?

Millions of bags move around every day without 'contract idiots' pilfering your belongings. If one gets caught with items from someone's luggage, they are fired. Many bags are opened by TSA or CBP and they don't always leave notes in your luggage. If you have a lock they cannot open, they will take a knife a tear your bag in half.

Baggage handlers are in contact with your luggage for a very short amount of time, and while there are certainly some less than honest ones, the majority slave to get your over-stuffed, 70 pound suitcase to where it belongs.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Over the years I've had everything from jeans to candy taken from my checked luggage. In my case London Heathrow and Chicago are the culprits and each time complaints have been met with disdain from the airlines.
On one occasion my luggage went missing (on a direct flight), by the time it was returned to me several items of clothing were missing, my washbag was missing and I had acquired a rather nice case with several silk ties. I made a complaint to the airline about the 5 days my luggage was missing plus asked for compensation for my missing clothing, it took 6 months of constant contact to get $300 out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel