Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:40 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
He never called it dumpy for one second.

90% of the people who know I went to Colombia can't believe it because they just assumed I'd get shot. Just because you like South America doesn't mean it's not generally thought of as an undesirable destination by a lot of Americans. Most prefer Europe over South America. That's just how it goes.

South America has more crime and more poverty, it only makes sense that more people would opt for Europe. It's easier in literally all aspects. South America is more of a niche destination, or you have a ton of idiot mongers or weird ass people living illegally because they think the US government is going to start concentration camps.
He said it was thought of as dumpy, and when I questioned said most of it was. And I can relate to you, when I've mentioned going to Colombia people look at me like I'm crazy!

"South America is more of a niche destination, or you have a ton of idiot mongers or weird ass people living illegally because they think the US government is going to start concentration camps.[/"

I have heard that! In fact know some conspiracy theorists who are planning on moving there. So they'd be more comfortable with what is happening in Venezuela, for example? Crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:51 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
You really expect people from lets say Plano, TX. Mesa AZ. Overland Park KS. Naperville, IL to not find South American cities pretty dirty?

Old 02-23-2014, 05:40 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You really expect people from lets say Plano, TX. Mesa AZ. Overland Park KS. Naperville, IL to not find South American cities pretty dirty?
Actually I found many cities in Latin America to be as clean or cleaner than most US cities.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:10 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Quote:
You been to say Santiago? Cleaner than a lot of American cities.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I can show them some pretty gritty parts of Dallas, TX.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times
I was just in Argentina (Bariloche and Buenos Aires). Hardly saw any Americans and everyone thought I was Brazilian before I opened my mouth. If I began by speaking Spanish, they became even more confused and guessed Mexican or Canadian lol.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:33 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You been to say Santiago? Cleaner than a lot of American cities.
boooooooooooo

Viña del Mar is WAY better

However, don't be fooled.. the Latin American cities can be pretty dirty. You'll still see things in LA that you won't see in the states.

It's nicer in South America than a lot of people would think.. but even the nicer cities don't quite compare to the US. They're rough around the edges still, but great places to be. I am enjoying myself big time in Chile and actually planning to stay a lot longer than expected. I'd move here for good and not bat an eye.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I can show them some pretty gritty parts of Dallas, TX.
Most people who live in the Metroplex live in the suburbs...
Those far out newer American Suburbs are some of the cleanest cities in the whole world...
freshly cut grass, no weeds growing in the sidewalks, nice parkways with trees in the median.

If you have lived long term in communities like this you will get pretty shocked if you go to a South American city...

Old 02-23-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Most people who live in the Metroplex live in the suburbs...
Those far out newer American Suburbs are some of the cleanest cities in the whole world...
freshly cut grass, no weeds growing in the sidewalks, nice parkways with trees in the median.

If you have lived long term in communities like this you will get pretty shocked if you go to a South American city...
Sure. I guess that's true. I don't live in the suburbs. But my guess is these people, if they think that's the world, would be shocked at many cities. Heck, I think a lot of suburban metroplex people would be shocked at our inner city, which was sort of my point. They'd also be shocked at many European cities. They aren't "dumpy", though there will be dumpy areas, they just aren't manicured weird HOA developments.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Sure. I guess that's true. I don't live in the suburbs. But my guess is these people, if they think that's the world, would be shocked at many cities. Heck, I think a lot of suburban metroplex people would be shocked at our inner city, which was sort of my point. They'd also be shocked at many European cities. They aren't "dumpy", though there will be dumpy areas, they just aren't manicured weird HOA developments.
Most definitely. Many people in the suburbs, like their life in the suburbs and get nervous if they have to go into the city. Everyone is entitled to like whatever they want though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel