Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,025,740 times

Advertisements

One would hope the passenger who took the wrong bag off the plane, figured it out and return'ed it to the airport.

If the Plane was terminating at that city, There should be a "extra" bag in the overhead. That bag would be turned over to that Airlines baggage office @ that airport, and put in the international "Lost" bag database. If the Airport was not a Terminating point it would be turned over to the Airport where it terminates and starts over with a whole new passenger group.

If its your bag, you would report it lost to the baggage office, They would put it in the computer, so if it turns up in any baggage office, They can match it to you and contact your.

(If there is a extra bag, they might try to contact that person and hope to match the two of you with it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:30 AM

50,398 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why were you cheering for this? That was incredibly rude of him.
It is because the general feeling is that there is not enough room in the overhead bins because:
Some people think they are too important to go to baggage claim, like everybody else, and/or they are too cheap to pay the $25. to check a bag, like everybody else.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:09 AM

37,133 posts, read 41,343,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Until the plane lands and you have a tight connection and can't go back 6? 10? .. Rows to get your bag until the plane is empty. So you are the Last one off the plane, and you miss your connection, and have to overnight there, or wait hours and hours for next flight.
In this case, you tell the flight attendant well before the plane will land. I have been on flights where everyone was asked to remain seated to allow passengers with tight connections to deplane first. Just do not abuse the process if you do not really have the time crunch.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:02 PM

51,657 posts, read 25,882,563 times
Quote:
One would hope the passenger who took the wrong bag off the plane, figured it out and return'ed it to the airport.

If the Plane was terminating at that city, There should be a "extra" bag in the overhead. That bag would be turned over to that Airlines baggage office @ that airport, and put in the international "Lost" bag database. If the Airport was not a Terminating point it would be turned over to the Airport where it terminates and starts over with a whole new passenger group.

If its your bag, you would report it lost to the baggage office, They would put it in the computer, so if it turns up in any baggage office, They can match it to you and contact your.

(If there is a extra bag, they might try to contact that person and hope to match the two of you with it.)
Thanks a million. I was wondering how that would work as one black rollaround bag looks pretty much like the next. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled the wrong suitcase off the luggage belt. It would be easy enough to do from the overhead bin.

So this all hinges on the person who took the wrong bag figuring it out or the airlines matching up the left behind bag with its owner?

I would never purposely take someone else's bag, but I suspect there are those who would. The way folks are loaded down like Sherpas these days, it would be easy enough to stroll through and out the airport with an extra bag. Or dump the extra bag in a bathroom stall or garbage can.

I guess then it would depend on an alert cleaning person.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:08 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,025,740 times
Hopefully you have your Name/Contact Info both Inside and Outside the bag. ( I use a business card so my home address it not out there)

A bag with No Name/Contact Info (or baggage check claim #) has in a small chance of getting matched, Most of them get sold off to "unclaimed" bag by the ton.

Yes, one would hope the cleaning people would turn it in when they find it. But odds are now if they find a un-attended bag the Airport Police / Bomb Dog would be called in.

Last edited by flyonpa; 03-23-2014 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-23-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Hopefully you have your Name/Contact Info both Inside and Outside the bag. ( I use a business card so my home address it not out there)

A bag with No Name/Contact Info (or baggage check claim #) has in a small chance of getting matched, Most of them get sold off to "unclaimed" bag by the ton.

Yes, one would hope the cleaning people would turn it in when they find it. But odds are now if they find a un-attended bag the Airport Police / Bomb Dog would be called in.
I suspect that's the likely scenarios.

So I throw my bag up front and head the back. Then when I go to get off the plane, I spend ten, fifteen frantic minutes looking for it. I better hope it was a mistake and I will hear my name over the speakers about claiming my bag at the Delta desk.

Otherwise, airport security and the bomb squad will have at it.

That doesn't sound good.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:47 PM

30,383 posts, read 52,001,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think you may have this just exactly backwards.

It's your responsibility to see that no one else fools with your bags. You are the one who is supposed to keep an eye on your things.

I've never been asked if I have handled anybody else's bags. I've never heard an airport announcement that said to keep my mitts off of other folks' luggage. Have you?

Written or unwritten, the rule is to keep an eye on your own things.

If you don't keep your stuff close, how can you be sure that others aren't handling your things, haven't slipped contraband into your luggage?
I think you're the one who has things backwards, either that or you've never flown internationally. I'll have to do a little research for the actual rules/laws, but every time I've flown internationally they have asked this question! Maybe they're not as strict on domestic flights, although I'm sure the general rule (don't touch anyone's bags) still applies.

And I never said anything about keeping an eye on your own stuff, I'm only saying that if someone DOES touch your bag that could create a problem with customs. We were discussing overhead bins, so how can one be watching a bag in a closed cabinet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
As long as the seats recline, passengers have a perfect right to do so. Those who are considerate of others do not. Unless you are in First Class, it is just is too darn cramped.
You just (quoted me then) repeated exactly what I said, lol. So ummm, yes?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think you're the one who has things backwards, either that or you've never flown internationally. I'll have to do a little research for the actual rules/laws, but every time I've flown internationally they have asked this question! Maybe they're not as strict on domestic flights, although I'm sure the general rule (don't touch anyone's bags) still applies.

And I never said anything about keeping an eye on your own stuff, I'm only saying that if someone DOES touch your bag that could create a problem with customs. We were discussing overhead bins, so how can one be watching a bag in a closed cabinet?
As it turns out, I have flown internationally quite a few times. Never once have I been asked if I've fooled with other people's belongings. I've never heard any announcement, at least that I've understood, warning passengers to leave their mitts off of other people's bags.

I get asked if anyone had access to my luggage. Not once have I ever been asked if I got into other people's things. Maybe it's the way I look. Who knows?

I'm surprised that you get asked every time if you've gotten into other people's bags. Have you ever wondered why they ask you if you been fooling around with other people's belongings?

As to keeping an eye on your things, if your bag is in overhead near your seat and someone opens the compartment, most of us would at least glance up to see that our stuff is undisturbed.

But 40 rows back, how can you tell if someone isn't slipping contraband into your luggage while they fuss around getting a Kindle out of their backpack?

The problem with customs would be yours not theirs.

Have you ever seen French Kiss where Kevin Kline slipped a grape vine and necklace into Meg Ryan's bag. Had the vine and necklace been discovered, who would have been in trouble with customs?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:20 PM

By the way Gizmo, if everyone in the back threw their bags in the forward compartments, leaving the FAs to stow the forward passenger's bags in the back compartments, how would suggest the folks in front get their bags before deplaning?

Should the folks in front wait patiently while the folks from the back breeze off, grabbing their bags on the way?

Or should they try to scoot back and find their bags while we are all waiting for the doors to open?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:26 PM

30,383 posts, read 52,001,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
the point here is the passenger in front of you has a RIGHT ( unless certain rules forbid it )to recline his /her seat you dont have a RIGHT to use your laptop remember other folks have rights as well as you
Wait, what? So you have a right to recline (I agree), but the other passengers don't have a right to use a laptop? Unless it's during takeoff or landing, we most certainly do! Funny how you end with "other folks have rights as well as you," immediately after saying everyone using a laptop doesn't have a right to do so - when they/we do. Confused much? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel