Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 04:22 PM

198 posts, read 274,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Obviously with children or impaired people it makes sense, but single people who rush to sit on the plane just to sit there doing nothing for literally an hour before takeoff. Why? I actually find it a troubling curiosity of humankind that people get so cutthroat to board a thing that won't leave until everyone is on anyway...
IDK either. I used to stay seated and just wait and be almost the last one to board so I didn't have to stand in line. Now I have to board early as my mother is disabled. Some people seem to think it makes them look important to board early. Maybe if they are in first class, they want to board early so they can get that free drink???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 05:06 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,376,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
As long as the seats recline, passengers have a perfect right to do so. Those who are considerate of others do not. Unless you are in First Class, it is just is too darn cramped. I hope this thread doesn't dissolve into argument over whether you have a right to do anything that isn't forbidden, including being rude to others.
Now you're just labeling anyone who sees it differently than you as 'rude'. What about being considerate by not getting all put out when the person in front of you reclines? I actually don't recline my seatback unless it's a red-eye (in which case everyone is reclined) because I prefer to sit up and read or draw. But the person in front of me usually does. It is a nuisance for about 5 seconds and then I get used to it and let it go because I figure it's my choice to not recline also and get the space back that way. And when I think about it some more, I'm glad they reclined so now I can if I want and I will just be going with the the majority consensus and not be one 'rude' standout. So try to see beyond that 12 inches in front of you and think how that person reclining may view it.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:13 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,995,223 times
Quote:
Obviously with children or impaired people it makes sense, but single people who rush to sit on the plane just to sit there doing nothing for literally an hour before takeoff. Why? I actually find it a troubling curiosity of humankind that people get so cutthroat to board a thing that won't leave until everyone is on anyway...

You are probably one of those many jerks that boards at the last moment possible with a big suitcase that everyone on the plane can see will not fit in the overhead but you open up the bin and start moving all of the others that have been there 15-20 minutes and secured the space. Touch mine buddy and I will chop your fingers off.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:34 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,131,446 times
Quote:
If you've flown in the past 6 or 7 years, you would know it's about getting an overhead bin that's not 6-rows back from your seat.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:53 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,995,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
I've never understood it either. I prefer to be last on - because it means I am first off.

As for the overhead space - I have occasionally found someone has stuck a bag up over my seat. When this has happened, I pull it out and hand it over to the flight attendant. They track down the owner -usually not hard because its somebody already struggling to get out of their seat and all red in the face - then that person is told to put it in the space allotted to him/her or to check it. In every single case it has turned out that that person has more than the allowable carry on luggage (or they have oversize items) and the extra item(s) get checked. Of course if there is empty space anywhere near my seat this isn't an issue - but if the overheads are full, yep. I turn it over to the stewardess and let them handle it.

Also it's been years since I've been allowed to stuff anything under the seat in front of me. That is not stowage. In a crash, that is something to go flying around the cabin. All carry on luggage must be stowed properly in the storage compartments, or you must be able to hold it in your lap. You CAN set a handbag - or a backpack, these days - on the floor if it will fit between your feet, but the space under the seat in front of you is not for storing your carry-on.

Maybe that's changed back again with the newer more restrictive regulations about carry-on (smaller bags now might be allowed to be crammed under the seat in front of you) - but I wouldn't, and historically haven't, hesitated to pull the extra baggage out and hand it over to an attendant when the overhead luggage compartments are full. They are specifically designed to be able to handle all the allowed carryons for every passenger even when the plane is full, so if they are stuffed full and there is no room for your (sized according to regulations) carryon, someone has sneaked extra space for himself.

You touch my bag and you get a quick kick .Who the hell do you think you are ? The overhead bins are shared space and you have no right to touch anyone's bag that got on before you because you think you are more important than anyone else. If you fly on any decent airline the flight attendant will tell you the same. I am all for the new rule where they are really going to start enforcing the size limitation restrictions for carry ons but my guess is based on your answer that you violate that one too and you are just a jerk.
If you want the overhead space put down your crayons and coloring books and get on with the rest of us .

PS your last on first off statement shows you are a fraud and have never been on an airplane in your life. Caught !!

Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 AM

245 posts, read 504,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree, it's the overhead space. I was on a flight once where a guy went to put his bag in the overhead space above his own seat and it was full. He yanked out someone else's bag, sent it sliding down the aisle, put in his bag and sat down.
We were all silently cheering.
How about the rude people that bring two bags on and then put BOTH in the overhead? Do you cheer for them too?

Old 03-15-2014, 09:54 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,902,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I would be banned from C-D if I wrote the way that I really feel about those cheats using wheelchairs to cheat.

Now it is possible that some of the people simple couldn't walk the full distance in the airport and may need a wheelchair at times. However, the people who "need a wheelchair" to get to the plane and to board early but then simply walk out of the plane, walk to baggage claim, grab their luggage and walk out that is pretty despicable.
I can't believe they do that over there.

They would never have the neck to do that here and if they did I am sure they'd have words.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:02 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,715,039 times
I usually carry on one briefcase or smaller backpack. Because I am tall, my leg room is important and I do not want anything under the seat in front of me so I go to the overhead compartments to store my bag. If the bins over and around my seat are full ... let's just say I'm not happy.

The airlines need to crack down on folks with excessive and oversized carry ons.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:24 AM

2,219 posts, read 2,945,660 times
For me it has nothing to do with overhead storage since I usually just have my purse and a little bag that can go under the seat.

My reason is because I fly on Southwest which has no assigned seating so I prefer priority boarding so I can get an aisle seat close to the door. I HATE sitting in the middle of two strangers and HATE feeling confined in the seat next to the window!

Old 03-15-2014, 07:14 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,930,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
You are probably one of those many jerks that boards at the last moment possible with a big suitcase that everyone on the plane can see will not fit in the overhead but you open up the bin and start moving all of the others that have been there 15-20 minutes and secured the space. Touch mine buddy and I will chop your fingers off.
I board when my connecting flight gets me there. I don't control that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel