Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:04 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,446,469 times

Advertisements

I need to travel from the East Coast US (can start in NY) to Europe. But NOT by flying.
I desperately need some recommendations for the least expensive option to cross the ocean by ship.

Are there only very expensive cruise ships left that do the NY - England route ?

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:56 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,015,119 times
The cruise lines in may I think transfer ships from NY, Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Port Canaerfal and maybe even other places to Euroepe. They are 7-10 trips one way for. The east coast to Europe with a few stops at some islands. That is probably cheaper than the Queen Elizabeth. All the cruise lines do it so check out their websites. The ships go to Dover, Barcelona, Rome etc..

Also some freighter ships carry passengers.

But honestly the cost and time it is INSANE to not fly. Insane. You are talking 7-10 days over 7-10 hours!!!! Unless it is just something you want to do for fun. Then I'm all for it. I want to do a trans Atlantic crossing someday.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I need to travel from the East Coast US (can start in NY) to Europe. But NOT by flying.
I desperately need some recommendations for the least expensive option to cross the ocean by ship.

Are there only very expensive cruise ships left that do the NY - England route ?

A cargo ship, maybe?

A la Carte Freighter Travel

Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Go to vacationstogo.com and search for the months you need to travel, and select Transatlantic under the drop down for "cruise regions."

I did this for April 2014-April 2015, and found an inside cabin, 11 days on the norwegian epic departing April 27th, 2014 for $299 per person, double occupancy. Amazing. Single occupancy will be more. Miami to Barcelona.

There are others that start at about $479 and up. You can sort on the column for lowest price inside cabin. Remember you have to add taxes, port charges, service charges, etc.

In the end, it would be cheaper to fly, but maybe that's not an option for you.

One word of advice: GENERALLY, You'd be better off booking this with a good travel agent rather than this site. Feel free to email me if you need a referral.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,446,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
The cruise lines in may I think transfer ships from NY, Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Port Canaerfal and maybe even other places to Euroepe. They are 7-10 trips one way for. The east coast to Europe with a few stops at some islands. That is probably cheaper than the Queen Elizabeth. All the cruise lines do it so check out their websites. The ships go to Dover, Barcelona, Rome etc..

But honestly the cost and time it is INSANE to not fly. Insane. You are talking 7-10 days over 7-10 hours!!!! Unless it is just something you want to do for fun. Then I'm all for it. I want to do a trans Atlantic crossing someday.
I know it is insane.
What do you think would be the approximate cost for such an Atlantic crossover?

Old 03-13-2014, 12:38 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,610 times
A fear of flying course would be a lot less expensive.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I know it is insane.
What do you think would be the approximate cost for such an Atlantic crossover?
Are you going to have to pay the single supplement?

Old 03-13-2014, 04:02 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:

Ugh just fly.

Its only a 5 hour flight from Boston to Ireland and often less. You will really regret not flying when you are stuck in the ocean for a week. (Unless you want to do that).

http://uk.flightaware.com/live/fligh...315Z/KBOS/EIDW

Old 03-13-2014, 04:05 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

Going east it is never longer than 6 hours.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Ugh just fly.

Its only a 5 hour flight from Boston to Ireland and often less. You will really regret not flying when you are stuck in the ocean for a week. (Unless you want to do that).

Aer Lingus Teoranta (EI) #136
Of course, I totally agree. But I suspect the OP has reasons for not stepping on a plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel