Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 AM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I am going to take a road trip to San Antonio in two weeks. (It's about 800 miles from where I live). This is my first road trip alone. I am getting my car serviced this weekend but anything else I need to know? What should I take with me or how should I prepare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:44 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Hi Everyone

I am going to take a road trip to San Antonio in two weeks. (It's about 800 miles from where I live). This is my first road trip alone. I am getting my car serviced this weekend but anything else I need to know? What should I take with me or how should I prepare?
Assuming you have some way of connecting your smartphone (or other device) to your audio system, check with your local library and see if you can borrow audiobooks. I've found that audiobooks do a much better job of keeping me awake than music. Probably because my brain is more engaged.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Assuming you have some way of connecting your smartphone (or other device) to your audio system, check with your local library and see if you can borrow audiobooks. I've found that audiobooks do a much better job of keeping me awake than music. Probably because my brain is more engaged.
Thanks for the tip! I usually can stay awake with music. Plus, Im leaving at noon and will arrive around 9pm ish. I think I'll be good

Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
800 miles in 9 hours?

I don't think so. That's a 90 mph driving speed average, not legal even in Texas where you might see an 80 mph zone.

More realistically, I'd suggest a 65-70 mph average possible if you stay on interstates and take only a minimal rest stop and fuel stops. You didn't mention your car, but most have a 300 +/- range unless you've got a large fuel tank diesel car with an extended cruising range. It takes more time than you think to get off the highway, get fuel, clean a windshield ... and get back onto the road at cruise speed.

I'd bet you're looking at a 12+ hour trip of driving time. Probably best that you plan on a rest stop or two ... if for no better reason than to get out of the car, stretch your legs, and give yourself a break from the driving chores concentration. Also more restful if you actually take the time to get a meal or two enroute rather than just snacking on junk food while driving ....

For most people, I'd be surprised if you arrived at your destination any sooner than the wee hours of the next day after your noon departure. Yes, some folk can drive that many hours without rest ... but for most folk, that distance is past the point of safe attentive driving span.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
800 miles in 9 hours?

I don't think so. That's a 90 mph driving speed average, not legal even in Texas where you might see an 80 mph zone.

More realistically, I'd suggest a 65-70 mph average possible if you stay on interstates and take only a minimal rest stop and fuel stops. You didn't mention your car, but most have a 300 +/- range unless you've got a large fuel tank diesel car with an extended cruising range. It takes more time than you think to get off the highway, get fuel, clean a windshield ... and get back onto the road at cruise speed.

I'd bet you're looking at a 12+ hour trip of driving time. Probably best that you plan on a rest stop or two ... if for no better reason than to get out of the car, stretch your legs, and give yourself a break from the driving chores concentration. Also more restful if you actually take the time to get a meal or two enroute rather than just snacking on junk food while driving ....

For most people, I'd be surprised if you arrived at your destination any sooner than the wee hours of the next day after your noon departure. Yes, some folk can drive that many hours without rest ... but for most folk, that distance is past the point of safe attentive driving span.
I have a 2011 Nissan Sentra. I am going to go see my BF. He made the trip to see me and it took him about 9 hrs, thats how I got the estimate (more less). he got delayed with a few accidents on his way over here

Old 07-30-2014, 10:11 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
I agree...800 miles in 9 hours? Hell no.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Thanks for the tip! I usually can stay awake with music. Plus, Im leaving at noon and will arrive around 9pm ish. I think I'll be good
If you haven't spent that long in the car, don't count on music being able to keep you awake. After about 4 or 5 hours, it may not be enough. And you can get sleepy driving during the day. It's white line hypnosis. ;-)

Old 07-30-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
800 miles in 9 hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I agree...800 miles in 9 hours? Hell no.
Ok I was going based on what my friends told me. (they said it'd be about 800 miles). I just looked and it's actually 551 My mistake!!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
I always bring my cd's that I've burned. Bring snacks, drinks. If you feel the need pull off to stretch your legs. Make sure your phone is charged. Other than that, nothing really to plan. It's a road trip, just start driving.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Lol Well that's a tad better. Like others have said, make sure to get out every once in a while (in a safe place), stretch your legs etc., bring snacks, water...Make sure to have a car emergency kit...all that jazz. Try not to race there, ya know? Safer for you & everyone else on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel