Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Luxury Flight or Luxury Hotel?
Luxury Flight 12 18.46%
Luxury Hotel 53 81.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Hotel for sure!!
Says the guy who whined incessantly about the guy in front of him on his last trip, and whose parents foot the bill for all his travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 12:09 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
If i have to sit 15 hours in a plane to reach my destination for just a 3-day holiday, I would fly 1st class. Would take a good sleeping pill on the flight and when there just put all my stuff in a big locker and don't go to bed at all (maybe a quick nap in mcdonald's/starbucks).

Old 08-01-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I would never spend 15 hours travelling for only a 3 day stay. But regardless of the conditions, I would always chose a luxury hotel over a luxury flight. A comfortable bed in a clean and private hotel room, in a good location trumps all in my opinion. Even 15 hours is only one sleep session and I'd rather be comfortable for 2 nights than one.

On a normal airline, I might agree. Normally, 1st class just means a little bit more room in a slightly bigger and slightly more comfy chair. But I've seen luxury flights where your chair turns into an entire bed and there are dividers between you and anyone else. Yes, you may spend most of the time asleep but if the comfort level allows you to get a good sleep over a broken one or none at all, it might be worth it. Even so, if the length of the flight is going to be shorter than the length of your stay, I would still go with a luxury hotel.
Based on the above, you have obviously never traveled long haul in first class. Most carriers offer lay flat beds in first class and even business on long hauls these days. There is an enormous difference between those and an economy seat, both in terms of space, comfort, and amenities. These aren't "luxury" flights, they are normal carriers like US Airways, American, BA, Qantas, Virgin, etc.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
If i have to sit 15 hours in a plane to reach my destination for just a 3-day holiday, I would fly 1st class. Would take a good sleeping pill on the flight and when there just put all my stuff in a big locker and don't go to bed at all (maybe a quick nap in mcdonald's/starbucks).
Many areas no longer have "lockers" to store luggage anymore. In the US, sleeping in a restaurant will quickly get you kicked to the curb.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:17 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Many areas no longer have "lockers" to store luggage anymore. In the US, sleeping in a restaurant will quickly get you kicked to the curb.
Really? Even if you just finished your big mac?
In Japan its common to take naps everywhere, have slept like 3 hours in the Starbucks of Roppongi, Tokyo on just 1 medium ice coffee

Old 08-01-2014, 12:26 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
I've done the Long haul from Lax-Sydney in coach. It really wasn't that terrible.

However I stayed in a 5 star hotel when I got there.

Hotel is much better. You get a pool, spa, etc. Plane you just get a fancier seat and better food.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:41 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Based on the above, you have obviously never traveled long haul in first class. Most carriers offer lay flat beds in first class and even business on long hauls these days. There is an enormous difference between those and an economy seat, both in terms of space, comfort, and amenities. These aren't "luxury" flights, they are normal carriers like US Airways, American, BA, Qantas, Virgin, etc.
Not sure what you consider long haul but I've done a 10 hour flight. No, not in first class but I saw the first class chairs - they were as I described them: a little bigger, a little comfier looking and there was not enough room for them to lay flat. It doesn't really matter if the flights with a flat bed chair and dividers are luxury airlines or not, I would still take the luxury hotel over the luxury airline because I will undoubtedly be spending more time in the hotel than on the flight. I would still take the luxury hotel even over having a private room on the flight. There is no need to be so pedantic.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Really? Even if you just finished your big mac?
In Japan its common to take naps everywhere, have slept like 3 hours in the Starbucks of Roppongi, Tokyo on just 1 medium ice coffee
Yes, really. Some actually have a 15-20 minute maximum you can sit at a table--that's if you order food. If you don't, no table, no restroom, get out.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Not sure what you consider long haul but I've done a 10 hour flight. No, not in first class but I saw the first class chairs - they were as I described them: a little bigger, a little comfier looking and there was not enough room for them to lay flat. It doesn't really matter if the flights with a flat bed chair and dividers are luxury airlines or not, I would still take the luxury hotel over the luxury airline because I will undoubtedly be spending more time in the hotel than on the flight. I would still take the luxury hotel even over having a private room on the flight. There is no need to be so pedantic.
Trust me, there is a HUGE difference, unless you are flying some crap carrier like Ryanair. Even if the seats don't lay flat, there is still an extra 12" or more of leg room, 4" or more of width, upgraded amenities and food, etc.

By the way, unless you are staying in your room the entire time, you will be spending more time in the plane seat on a 30 hour round trip than in a hotel room for two nights.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:32 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,589 times
I've never travelled first class but I've travelled business. While it's certainly nicer than economy it still doesn't making flying a particularly nice experience. So I would always go for the hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel