Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:20 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times

Advertisements

This is a real problem with me, I'm 6'3 and with these new seats my knees touch the seat in front of me. I keep my knees there and will not let the person in front of me recline their seat. If they do it while I'm up walking, I will push it back up when I sit down. It seems that it's alway's a short person that has to recline for some reason. The only airline I've flown in recent years that had leg room was Virgin Atlantic.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
This is really a non-issue. Airlines already offer choices for people who want more comfort. If people choose to ignore those options, that's their choice.

I'm a fairly tall guy and rarely feel cramped when traveling.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:27 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
I work for an employer that DOES NOT take employee preference into account...flights are booked based on corporate travel agreements, pricing and scheduling. Additionally I live in a mid-sized market without an airline hub at the airport. I travel about once per month on business, but because I travel to different places around the country it is almost impossible to fly enough on one airline to get status. Even when I traveled 2-3 times per month I didn't get to a point where I had status with a single airline, though I was just a few segments away from having it on multiple airlines. It's very frustrating.

As for reclining, I definitely do it on red eye flights and long-hauls (i.e. transcontinental, crossing the pond, etc...). I usually don't recline during daytime hours on short flights that are less than 2 hours. The way I see it, I purchased the fare for the seat and if the seat reclines, it is absolutely my right. The person in front of me and the person behind me also have that same right. If the person behind me is too tall for me to recline, that person is infringing on my right to recline.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:30 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
I guess it depends on the flight. When I am flying domestic less than 3 hours, that is tolerable. But again, I am a small guy so I do not have the same "curse" of those tall ones, in which their feet will touch the back of the seat in front of them when it is reclined.
When I fly international, it is a different case. I would make sure I fly first class.
I have some bad experiences seated beside certain people. *shudder*

Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
If the person behind me is too tall for me to recline, that person is infringing on my right to recline.

Good grief.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 AM

520 posts, read 601,224 times
I don't mind if someone reclines, I just wish they'd give a heads up and ease the seat back, not fling it back. It's so rude. That way, I can remove my beverage from the tray table while they're reclining so it doesn't spill on me. Other than that, reclining the seat doesn't bother me. Then again, I'm smaller and don't require much room. I truly feel sorry for tall passengers.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I never recline because it's rude...even when the person in front of me reclines. There have been times when the person in front of me reclines, and their head is literally 5-6 inches from mine....it feels like I'm pinned in my seat. Still I do not complain, although I did have a stewardess once tell the person in front of me to sit up so I could pull down my tray table and eat (I didn't even ask, she just did it).

I think recline should not be an option. We are already crammed in there as it is, I'm claustrophobic and having someone's head 5-6 inches away from mine does NOT help.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is really a non-issue. Airlines already offer choices for people who want more comfort. If people choose to ignore those options, that's their choice.

It's not a matter of ignoring options. The options aren't always available. I rarely get more than a week notice that I have to travel, and by then many planes are rather full and you have to take what you can get.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

This. At 6'-2 it's not a big deal for me. Better if they don't but hardly the big deal people make it out to be. I don't get it.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:59 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I work for an employer that DOES NOT take employee preference into account...flights are booked based on corporate travel agreements, pricing and scheduling. Additionally I live in a mid-sized market without an airline hub at the airport. I travel about once per month on business, but because I travel to different places around the country it is almost impossible to fly enough on one airline to get status. Even when I traveled 2-3 times per month I didn't get to a point where I had status with a single airline, though I was just a few segments away from having it on multiple airlines. It's very frustrating.
This. I live smack in the middle of my east coast territory, and 95% of my travel (2-3 times per month) is to various east coast cities. I fly on 6 different airlines, and most flights are under 2 hours. I can't manage to get status with anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel