Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 07:23 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
We were hoping to do more of a road trip. But, I think that might be expensive. My friend suggested at least 3 nites in one spot....for the best rates. What is AirBnB?
You are going to want to spend more than just a night or two in a location. You can't get immersed in the European culture with just driving through. I second the use of www.Airbnb.com, HomeAway: Vacation Rentals, Beach Houses, Cabins & More, VRBO - The Most Popular Vacation Rental Site in the US, or Apartments and B&Bs in Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris, Barcelona, London, Lisbon & Istanbul (I've used them all before...Cross Pollinate is great if you're going to a location they cover). You don't have to be there for five days, either -- those will accommodate you for two or three nights usually. We used apartments in Rome, Venice, and Munich for our last trip to Europe and it was great -- more room, less cost, you can cook your own food sometimes.

And as I had posted in another thread, my favorite food on the road is street food or something bought at a grocery store. I just get soooooooo tired of eating out and it is so expensive. Sometimes just a loaf of bread and a hunk of cheese from the deli is exactly what you'll be wanting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 08:27 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
for 25+ yrs I have traveled / lived very inexpensively worldwide using hospitality guest homes ($10 - $20 / night worldwide).
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Here is a very small list of what is available: (You get a profile of host, so EZ to plan a trip to fit your interests and locations) Europe hosts are just as great as elsewhere (Very excellent)

You can rent furnished apartment for under $1000/month
Transportation can be a bit expensive (tolls, parking, and fuel).
EuroRail can work OK if you plan in advance and travel after 10PM (can't get EuroRail Passes from Europe).

You can rent a camper-van fairly affordable and is very common in much of Europe to find camping (can be rainy).

Food... you need to eat like the locals (which will be more costly than home), but ... deli, bread store, grocery, pub, tapas...

Drinks... you will be paying for water, so be prepared. You will be able to forget softdrinks, they are spendy.
Thanks, Stealth. You always have great info.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Thanks, RooCeleste. Lots of info. I'll check it out.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:21 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
One bit of advice, make sure you actually take some time and enjoy the destinations you visit. I know of more than a few people who overdid it. Sure they saw a lot but they didn't spend much time actually enjoying the destinations, because it was a race from one attraction to the next, cramming as much as they could into the short amount of time they had.
Guilty as charged

I visited 9 islands in the Bahamas this summer over an 18 day period. Should have been half that, at the most!

Old 10-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Looking into flying into Dublin. Making our way to Ashland, England. Take the Eurostar to Brussels ( I would like to see Bruges). $67 PP for the Eurostar trip.
It looks like it would be cheaper to fly to Dublin, as suggested, but I can't get prices for the Fall, yet. Still....it's giving me something to think about.
Thanks.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:34 PM

Ryanair is really reasonable. How is their reputation?
Dublin to Brussels is only $25 USD. Can that be right?

Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 PM

How about Stansted Airport/London? That seems to be the hub for Ryanair.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
They make Spirit look like a paragon of customer service, and will kill you on baggage fees. If you're looking at low cost carriers, easyjet has a far better reputation. If you are checking' hold luggage', British Airways has some of the most reasonable baggage fees, and often ends up being a wash with low cost carriers in that case.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:51 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,573 times
Theres nothing wrong with Ryanair.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:15 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Dublin to Brussels is only $25 USD. Can that be right?
The well-known low cost carriers like Ryanair are fine but you have to be careful about baggage fees, they will add up.

As for Stansted, the main problem is that it's over 50 miles away from Heathrow. So if you stay in London for a few days it's fine, but if you're only connecting there, the hassle and cost of going from LHR to Stansted won't be worth the Ryanair savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel