Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:32 AM

543 posts, read 944,645 times

Advertisements

My father was a merchant marine officer for 30 odd years. As a kid I sailed all over the world on cargo ships he was the chief officer or captain of. I sailed for 9 months in the year 1992. Some of my fondest memories are located aboard that ship.

The whole journey has an almost surreal zen like appeal. There's nothing but the ocean. The white foam being left behind by your ship's trail is probably the only non blue color you see for days. It feels like a lazy, hazy afternoon. You just relax or read or walk or ponder. And then there's the excitement as the sea port approaches. It's almost like landing on a different planet.

See, in this day and age no one has the interest or the desire to just sit idle and relax. Imagine being a month without the internet(though emails are there, there's no internet surfing) and smartphone updates.

I decided to do some research yesterday and it culminated in my calling a London office(I am in Ottawa, Canada). I got every necessary detail and I am planning a Far East trip from Vancouver. The trip will take 35 days(touching Far East cities and returning to canada) and cost around 5000 can dollars- which seems expensive, and is but remember that it includes stay and food(3 times a day). I soon realized that only the elderly of for it usually because they have free time. But it should become more popular.

What is your opinion of my essay? Why isn't cargo ship travel that popular? Would you consider it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:50 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,880,463 times
We've done this topic - quite recently.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cruis...nd-cruise.html

No, I wouldn't consider it. For several reasons.

I enjoy the ship as a resort, including the entertainment, swimming pools, jacuzzi, various bars and restaurants. That does not exist on a freighter.

We enjoy meeting a wide range of other passengers, and since freighters sail with 12 or fewer passengers, we're going to be pretty limited (but talking to the staff would be interesting, too).

In our case, not having an elevator and having to deal with stairs is getting close to a deal breaker.

In many cases, the ship docks at a port that is in the middle of nowhere, with no public transportation or taxi service readily available. Arrival and departure times often limit the possibility of visiting the port and it's surrounding area.

Smoking is allowed everywhere.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:56 AM

61,834 posts, read 87,314,674 times
People want luxury, they want company of other passengers, lots of fun etc.
I did several trips with cargo ship and LOVED it, but that's not for everyone.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:59 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,281,108 times
I wouldn't want to do it. I've seen Captain Phillips.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:33 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,926,704 times
Why isn't freight/cargo ship travel that popular?

Because....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
There's nothing but the ocean.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:36 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,375,781 times
If it represented an especially cheap, comfortable and affordable way to get my family of 4 to visit relatives in Hawaii, I would do it. But it doesn't, so I won't. I could take a commercial cruise line there, debark half-way and then fly home for the same $$$.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:57 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,975,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
The trip will take 35 days(touching Far East cities and returning to canada) and cost around 5000 can dollars- which seems expensive, and is but remember that it includes stay and food(3 times a day). I soon realized that only the elderly of for it usually because they have free time. But it should become more popular.

What is your opinion of my essay? Why isn't cargo ship travel that popular? Would you consider it?
Well, I suspect I'm not alone when I say it's a treat for me to manage a whole week off work. I'm 37 and I don't think I've had 35 consecutive days off work in maybe 14 years...

So, there's that...

If I had the time, I might consider it.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,007,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
If it represented an especially cheap, comfortable and affordable way to get my family of 4 to visit relatives in Hawaii, I would do it. But it doesn't, so I won't. I could take a commercial cruise line there, debark half-way and then fly home for the same $$$.
This is something that I would like to work. But it doesn't work for me. If it was significantly less expensive or significantly more convenient than flying, I'd be happy to take a freighter. It isn't.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:56 PM

442 posts, read 497,427 times
I follow a blog where a couple did it - and it has intrigued me ever since...

Someday....

Old 09-12-2014, 09:37 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
For me, it is because of the cost. It's substantially more than a cruise ship and you get a lot less for your money.

I'd rather fly. But for someone who can't fly, it is a way to get to areas where cruise ships don't go. Destinations for cruise ships are limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel