Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:55 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
hmmmmm, I see....reminds me of a an episode 30 some years ago in Hawaii. I was stationed there and like all young guys, bored with little money and no one to be poor with...and yet, we managed. During this time, Australians used to visit like weekend junkets to Vegas....I'd say that the tourists were 1/3 Aussie, 1/3 Japanese, and 1/3 mainlanders......

So, as luck would have it, I was hanging out at a bar called the Rose & Crown in Waikiki with a friend. I met this older Aussie with a rather large chest. A true gem. Anyway, for whatever, reason, when women go to an "exoctic" destination they ALWAYS want some sexual experience they can remember and share with friends. Even with a guy like me...hey, it's late? Don't ask me why and frankly, who cares?

Turns out, this was my lucky night. After trying to fool around in some coves, we opted for her place/hotel room. This Summer/Spring affair went on a bit and finally, she insisted on getting on top. The rest was easy and mission accomplished. Morning wasn't bad either. Accent took awhile getting used to and in between exercises, we did discuss Hawaii a bit. She asked where all the orientals came from. Odd. And yet, I let it go. Kinda guy I am.

Moral of that story? Sometimes you are on top in life and sometimes you are not. However, being on bottom isn't always a bad thing and sometimes, if things are larger than they appear, things might swing your way. Even when you are visiting. No matter what the circumstance or the awkward moment, just lay there and who knows, you too may come through just fine. And while she apparently didn't understand that Japanese fill up the skies with planes too, she meant it with a sincere and curious eye which was all the more awkward when you think about it. She also didn't understand the need for everyone to say; "Aloha and Mahalo"....tried to use the g'day as a comparison.....had to explain pidgin' too....

Tourists are well, tourists and when confronted with foreign destinations they don't always recognize the difference between a cantaloupe and a melon but, they eventually want to be on top if for no other reason than comfort.

Advice? Let them...
That was hilarious. Couldn't rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 11:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I used to compile surveys for a company. Some of the surveys were about conferences the company held for its high-end clients (sometimes CEOs of large companies). They would put the clients up in fancy hotels like the Phoenician in Scottsdale. I loved reading the surveys. Most were complimentary of the resort they got to stay at for free. But some of the comments were petty and ridiculous. One I specifically remember was, "The tissues were scratchy."
I wouldn't complain about it, but I hate cheap, scratchy tissues that fall apart before you can even get them to your nose.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:45 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
As someone who has an uncanny knack for picking up respiratory viruses on outbound flights, I feel like hotel tissue quality really does matter. I think much more fondly of hotels that let me delay the rate I'm going through my own self-purchased portable tissue stash.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:13 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unfortunately I've seen it happen. It's no different than people getting upset because the shopkeeper in Paris won't accept their US Dollars. Yes, some people are that dense.
It has happened to me in the US too. People would just start talking to me in various languages when I worked retail. I think its human nature, so I always took it in stride. I would just shake my head and shrug and say, I don't understand.

I was at some ruins in Mexico( Chichen Itza) and some french people were complaining about the fact that it was just a bunch of ruins. i guess they were expecting palaces or something.

My favorite is when I am hosting people from various countries and they are complaining about how gluttonous Americans are...as they are stuffing their faces.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:14 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It has happened to me in the US too. People would just start talking to me in various languages when I worked retail. I think its human nature, so I always took it in stride. I would just shake my head and shrug and say, I don't understand.

I was at some ruins in Mexico( Chichen Itza) and some french people were complaining about the fact that it was just a bunch of ruins. i guess they were expecting palaces or something.

My favorite is when I am hosting people from various countries and they are complaining about how gluttonous Americans are...as they are stuffing their faces.
A fellow traveler (can't recall if American, this was over 30 years ago) on the ruins of Delos in Greece, "Just a bunch of rocks."

Old 11-08-2014, 07:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
A fellow traveler (can't recall if American, this was over 30 years ago) on the ruins of Delos in Greece, "Just a bunch of rocks."
I have to admit that after spending three weeks looking at churches and ruins in Italy and Greece a couple years ago, I was pretty burnt out and after spending a couple hours exploring the Parthenon decided I had seen enough and went to my hotel to lay out by the pool for the rest of the day.

That said, it was far from a pile of rocks, I was just burned out on looking at one pile after another.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:05 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Really????

Yes...really....just because one was in the Marines during the Carter administration didn't mean it had to suck all the time....

Old 11-13-2014, 12:09 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Reminds me of a song by the boss...Glory Days.

Indeed. Quite a simpler time by comparison....I have to add that whenever the women visit these "exotic" destinations, they always have some stupid romantic vision of sex under the moonlight on the beach or in the water....don't do it ladies. Between the sand in each others crack(s) and the constant fighting of wave motion over coral just doesn't work out. Damn near have to be a break dancer to pull it off....

Just opt for a nice hotel room with a secure lock on the door.....much easier on the back and the sleep is much better overall....just sayin'.....

Old 11-13-2014, 12:47 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
I recently read a review for a resort on Travelocity where they gave the place a bad review because the ocean was too rough to swim in. Never mind the fact that this was when Hurricane Odile was not far away.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:34 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I used to compile surveys for a company. Some of the surveys were about conferences the company held for its high-end clients (sometimes CEOs of large companies). They would put the clients up in fancy hotels like the Phoenician in Scottsdale. I loved reading the surveys. Most were complimentary of the resort they got to stay at for free. But some of the comments were petty and ridiculous. One I specifically remember was, "The tissues were scratchy."
It probably does seem petty, but one would think that a fancy hotel could provide their guests with soft tissues. I am one who suffers with allergies and appreciates a soft tissue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel