Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I was there at this time as well. Egypt was VERY safe then. It was a horrible place for Egyptians to live. But it was very safe. (Police with machine guns on every street corner tend to make for a very ordered society.)

There is no way I would set foot in the Muslim world in 2015. Kidnappings of US travelers are on the rise with the ransoms being used to fund terrorism. I'm also avoiding much of Latin America for the same reason. I'm very glad I knocked most of those countries off my travel list when I was young. I don't see them being safe to visit for years -- perhaps ever again.
That is a ridiculously overbroad view. Jordan, Morocco, Kuwait, Tunisia, Egypt, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Gambia, Malaysia, UAE, Albania, Kosovo, Senegal, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Oman, much of Bahrain, parts of Algeria, parts of Pakistan, and--yes, Iran, are safe for visitors.

There are some parts of the Muslim world that are unsafe for tourists, but they are parts that are pretty obviously off the list: Iraq, Syria, much of Lebanon, Libya, Yemen, Niger, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Somalia, Afghanistan.

You are likely safer traveling in Jordan, Tunisia, and Kuwait than you would be in western European capitals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not a great resource. Look at it, but don't be dependent on it. Lots of the listings are warnings are either overly cautious or more directly and honestly, they're political in nature.
US State is certainly over-cautious--you will find that one or two high-profile incidents can cause State to issue a warning about an otherwise safe country. Sometimes State warnings are more specific about regions, and other times they are broader, failing to provide the type of granular information that is useful.

I agree with the poster who mentioned that State Department warnings have gotten better recently. This Mexico travel warning is actually quite good, though it is certainly over-cautious in parts: Mexico Travel Warning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:36 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,021,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
You are likely safer traveling in Jordan, Tunisia, and Kuwait than you would be in western European capitals.
Not if your gay or a outspoken non-muslim.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:02 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
You have to take particular precautions if you are gay, yes, and they are onerous. Non-Muslims, however, are welcome in each of those countries.

Amman has a gay neighborhood, and, per Wikitravel, "Most Jordanians adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" approach to ***** lifestyles, and Jordan is still a culturally conservative country. Public displays of affection are absolutely off-limits (this is true for straight couples too), and may draw nasty remarks."

Gay people sadly cannot be open in Morocco or Tunisia.

Last edited by TheCityTheBridge; 01-13-2015 at 12:11 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 12:16 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
how would anyone know you are gay on a trip? It is not like the gay people have the mark on their forehead.
like someone said, PDA is not appropriate anywhere, straight or gay.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:57 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,021,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
how would anyone know you are gay on a trip? It is not like the gay people have the mark on their forehead.
like someone said, PDA is not appropriate anywhere, straight or gay.
I have been told people got stopped at Kuwait airport for wearing a pink shirt and skinny pants.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:50 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,849 times
Quote:
I have been told people got stopped at Kuwait airport for wearing a pink shirt and skinny pants.
Could be. If you go in looking or acting very gay that could be an issue. But if you just dress modestly and behave sensibly, they will never know what your preferences are unless you're officially registered to some homosexual organization or something. It seems unlikely that they'd ask you, but I suppose they could so you might need to be prepared for that. Military, political, and certain religious affiliations are different because it's a matter of public record which could represent a big problem, as we have seen in the news.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:34 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Hey OP,

Just so you know, there is a Travel Alert page by the US Department of State and it lists all of the alerts and the places unsafe for U.S. travelers. It is updated immediately anytime there is a threat.

Alerts and Warnings

Also, if you go on TripAdvisor and type in a country (Ex: Iraq), you will see bright red font appear: TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY CONCERNS
I stopped reading these reports, after I dared to visit the most dangerous country in Central America, El Salvador, and never felt unsafe there, even riding the chicken buses around that country. Made an additional 2 trips, later!

In any of the so-called dangerous 3rd world countries, I always feel safest being around the poorest of that country!

My fears rise when I get around the more upper-middle class areas of the big cities down there.

Dangerous to me is climactic effects! Heat and humidity, along with insects, can be a killer to me!

Old 01-14-2015, 03:25 AM

10 posts, read 9,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
As a female, India. I went there when I was 18, but wouldn't go now. Not even with my husband.
Indeed, the white people in India (especially in non-touristic places) become objects of great attention, especially single women.

But if you go there with her husband - then no one will molest you. Hindus will perfectly realize that you already have a man.

I was in India three times, the most memorable was motorcycle trip across the state of Jammu and Kashmir. Despite the fact that it's quite a dangerous place (territorial disputes between India and Pakistan, you know), and there's a lot of military, I felt no fear.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:23 AM

653 posts, read 743,260 times
I would avoid the Western Sahara and Central African Republic

Old 01-15-2015, 12:18 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Uh, not really. I have one relative who was briefly abducted in the Middle East. They let him go when they realized they had the wrong person. There's nothing quite like spending a few days of your vacation in a room, tied to a chair with a sack over your head.
Where in the Middle East did this occur? The "Middle East" is a HUGE area with total opposite extremes in levels of safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel