Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
On another note... with all the stuff going on in Greece I am going to wait and see for a couple more days before booking. I was able to get the time off approved YAY! but I don't want to go to a place that is going to be in a full blown crisis.
I was in Athens during the "riots" in 2012. As usual, the media blew it WAY out of proportion, and in 99.999% of Athens (and ALL of the remainder of Greece) it was life as usual. They were extraordinarily welcoming to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
We haven't been able to travel there in 12 years! The prices are completely insane! Now we watch the WE(Wealth Channel) for Europe travel which is pretty pathetic! Petition your politicians!
Petition them for what? Planes are flying FULL to Europe, it seems that plenty of people are able to afford tickets there. I can't understand how you were unable to save the price of a ticket over 12 years. It would have taken under $5 a week for two adult tickets.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Molestation? Um no. Stealing? I carry on. Third world? The only explanation is that you've either never been to Europe or never been to a Third World country.
There are occasional reports of theft from carry on luggage as you go through screening, whether from TSA staff or fellow travelers. I'm not an overly paranoid sort, but anything quite valuable tends to get shoved into a more secure pocket of my bag when possible until I'm airside, and I try to position myself so I can keep an eye on my bag as it goes down the conveyor belt.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There are occasional reports of theft from carry on luggage as you go through screening, whether from TSA staff or fellow travelers. I'm not an overly paranoid sort, but anything quite valuable tends to get shoved into a more secure pocket of my bag when possible until I'm airside, and I try to position myself so I can keep an eye on my bag as it goes down the conveyor belt.
I've stopped flying with a laptop as much as possible and use an iPad which can stay in my carry on along with my phone. I don't push it into the machine until I am able to walk through the metal detector at the same time.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've stopped flying with a laptop as much as possible and use an iPad which can stay in my carry on along with my phone. I don't push it into the machine until I am able to walk through the metal detector at the same time.
Never had an issue so far with my laptop but I can understand the worries. But I travel too often to be bothered by these issues now...

Old 02-16-2015, 11:31 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm so grateful that I got all my European trips out of the way, in the 70's, leaving no desire to return there. I'm glad I didn't wait until I retired to do it, as I would have been locked out!

Occasionally, I peek at European fares and I'm mystified as to why, why, why it's so expensive to fly over there!!!

Sticker shock for someone who paid less than $400 on my last trip, from Minneapolis, over there in the 1970's!
It's expensive to fly out of Minneapolis.
It's dirt cheap to fly out of NYC. Norwegian had RT flights direct to Copenhagen for $340 a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately getting from MSP to JFK and back cost $440...
It's probably the cheapest it's been to get to Europe in the past 15 years.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:39 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I feel your pain. Gf and I were considering flying from Houston, TX to Charleston, SC for a brief moment. Although our trip is several months away, the BEST ticket price we're getting is $1000. We're not sure the price is going to go down. She's been monitoring the prices week by week and they have hardly changed at all. We're hesitant to fly anyway; security is such a hassle now. But it's a long drive-21 hours one way. At $1000, the choice is easy, since we can't afford the ticket.
I picked a random week in May ... Fri May8-15 and it's $417 nonstop.
Leaving midweek drops it to $331 nonstop.
So it's $662-$834 for two people.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:34 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Prices are relative to what space and time continuum?
I HAD to fly to Ottawa twenty years ago: $1,001. dollars all in.

I could have met my uncle on the beach in Epanema, Brazil for both of us with $200. more dollars.
Come to think of it, why didn't I do that?? (Next time!)

I'd always fly Seattle to Minneapolis, then Beechcraft to International Falls and walk across the border into Canada.
Canadian price? Double.
Everything is relative. "Needs" are relative. I haven't paid for a used car what an iPhone 6 costs today.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:08 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Well, it's just a matter of how much you want to go to Europe. I pay the same prices to get from Europe to the US, endure hideous comfort conditions due to the small seats and suffer from horrid jet-lag for the 9 hour time change from Denmark to the Bay Area. But it's worth it for me. I have two kids, albeit grown, back there and lots of friends.

I'm not sure I'd pay close to $1,000 to see the Louvre, because I can get to Paris in the off-season for as little as $150.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:17 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
It's expensive to fly out of Minneapolis.
It's dirt cheap to fly out of NYC. Norwegian had RT flights direct to Copenhagen for $340 a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately getting from MSP to JFK and back cost $440...
It's probably the cheapest it's been to get to Europe in the past 15 years.

You really should be fair when comparing prices. Everything on Norwegian costs extra. Norwegian, like some European airlines which charge extra for everything including luggage, isn't the bargain everyone thinks it is.

A bottle of water costs $4 (£2.55) and a small sandwich $11 (£7). An advance fee of $55 (£35) per leg gets economy passengers a meal with drink, checked-in baggage and a seat reservation. Earbuds cost $3 (£1.90), a blanket $5 (£3) and a full amenity kit including toothpaste and a toothbrush is $20 (£13).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel