Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 01:23 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I see no reason for a money belt, whatever the heck that is. Is that the same thing as a fanny pack, lol?
No, a money belt is a slim pouch that is worn under your clothes where it can't be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 02:39 PM

170 posts, read 235,287 times
Yes, under the clothing. But unless you are bundled up in some serious layers, people will always know that you are wearing a money belt. Doesn't matter if you don't access it in public.

But alas, this is getting tiresome. The main point is that Americans have no reason to carry such ridiculous fear when they travel. And also, OP, hope you have fun!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:52 PM

10 posts, read 10,129 times
I think a money belt is excessive. I leave my passport and unnecessary money in the hotel safe when travelling. And I take cabs as opposed to the metro.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. When I tell some people I'm going they act like I said I'm going to Iraq. Sigh

Old 02-18-2015, 07:13 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,796,079 times
It probably has more to do with going to a country where the native language isn't English. I'm sure that if you said you were going to the UK you would get less blowback

Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumtimes View Post

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. When I tell some people I'm going they act like I said I'm going to Iraq. Sigh
Wow, they must know nothing about countries outside of the U.S., lol. I feel bad for them. Go & have a great time, you'll be fine.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:37 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
There's no point in taking advice from people who are completely ignorant about a subject. Ever notice how hand-in-hand ignorance and paranoia are?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 PM

10 posts, read 10,129 times
Yes...they do go hand in hand. Perfect example....mentioned to a friend we should go to Cuba before there is a McDonald's on every corner. She said I was crazy and could only imagine what would happen to us there since it's so dangerous. I pointed out she had been to the Dominican Republic which is far more dangerous and that, if she looked into it, she would realize Cuba is relatively safe. She said I was being crazy. Again, someone whose done no research and is completely ignorant to reality.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:44 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Yes, it's always the people who have traveled the least who are the most fearful. Which makes sense in a way: without any experience of their own, how can they judge the actual risks involved?

Old 02-20-2015, 07:21 AM

361 posts, read 725,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumtimes View Post
I recently booked a trip to Madrid from nyc. It was last minute, so nobody can accompany me. Everyone I know is warning me not to go alone and since I am female, I will be targeted by criminals. I'm staying in a 5 star hotel in the best part of the city. I planned on doing some group day trips and evening tapas tours so I'm not alone all the time, but I'm beginning to feel discouraged by everyone's negativity.

Any solo travellers here that can offer me some encouragement? I have travelled quite a bit, but never alone.
Hi Sumtimes

I'm also traveling solo to Spain( Madrid, Seville, Barcelona) and a couple of other countries at the end of March but I'm couch surfing. I currently live in the UK and have taken advantage of this to travel around Europe. I'm not really worried because I'll be staying with locals (females) and this isn't the first time I travel solo. I never had any problems before. I mean, it's not written all over me that I'm a tourist..although, I've been to a few places where I stood out a bit more because of the demography, but people usually don't even notice you until you start asking for directions. I definitely don't wear a money belt or walk around with a camera hanging around my neck. Just try to fit in and I'm sure you'll be alright!

Old 02-22-2015, 05:08 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,578 times
I've been to Madrid and I found it to be very safe (as are nearly all cities in Europe). I wouldn't worry too much, you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel