Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 01:44 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times

Advertisements

Its about priority, choosing where to spent money. I would say my work place is equally distributed. Most wont go to EU but USA is big and there are lot of place to go. some like nature and tend to stay with in the state but go away. Others visit friends and family in different area.

to be honest we don't get enough vacation to really take advantage of traveling. If you get 3 weeks, I would want to keep 1 week for casual vacation to keep up with doctors appointment or emergency sick days. I don't want to work work work for that 2 week long trip over sea and suffer rest of the year. I rather take every other Friday off and sleep in.

The only reason I traveled to EU is because of business trip that I end up combining with vacation to check out a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 01:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Have you experienced this from coworkers, those that can't travel or will not travel? Mostly this originates from those with families/kids who are not able to travel and those that give various other reasons why they can't travel.

There is a single guy at work who earns 6 figures and says he cannot afford to travel to Europe because it's "so expensive", I am like excuse me? what do you do with all your money? So he says that it's not enough vacation time since he gets sick a lot and needs sick time. But we get 3 weeks a year off in this place...surely it's enough to go somewhere Excuses.

I usually take 2 major vacations a year, a 2-week vacation around Nov and a smaller 1-week vacation around May. This in a company where virtually nobody takes time off. So, there is a tremendous amount of envy for the fact that I am "always traveling" and "it must be nice to have so much money, so much time, so much vacation" etc. etc. The truth is that now I am a full time employee and don't travel as much in this company. Prior to this I was a consultant and traveled at least 6 weeks out of the year since I got much more time off.

It just seems that many Americans hardly travel at all. If they take some time off it's a couple days here and there to stay home and chill. Which is fine, to each his own, but I don't understand envy. Each person has choices and they have to live with them. And if you don't/can't travel then don't hate on others for doing so.

A lot of people do not envy anyone in regards to anything they do and it is possibly your opinion that someone envies you but it is not necessarily the truth.

Another way to not hear or experience any of your opinion envy is to not mention that you are going somewhere. That really is personal information that should be kept out of the office unless of course you are bragging about your traveling.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:06 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Another way to not hear or experience any of your opinion envy is to not mention that you are going somewhere. That really is personal information that should be kept out of the office unless of course you are bragging about your traveling.
you are kidding. What kind of office environment doesn't allow coworkers to talk about travel? And travel is "personal information"?

and bragging? If people talk about their kids, is that bragging too? That's definitely some personal information.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:18 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you are kidding. What kind of office environment doesn't allow coworkers to talk about travel? And travel is "personal information"?

and bragging? If people talk about their kids, is that bragging too? That's definitely some personal information.
Yeah, I can't imagine working in the kind of environment where coworkers never talk about their lives out of the office.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:19 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,795,253 times
Quote:
only if you are into just nature. If you like vibrant urban centers with culture and history and architecture, you are screwed being stuck in the US. Even San Francisco feels sterile and boring.
While I'm not saying that they're on the same level of some European cities, to say that there aren't US cities with culture, history, and architecture is just plain ignorant.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:22 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
A lot of people do not envy anyone in regards to anything they do and it is possibly your opinion that someone envies you but it is not necessarily the truth.

The office where I used to work..probably not much different than other offices, if you were off for more than one day, a buzz went around wondering where you were since someone had to pick up the slack and people were upset..You really couldn't HIDE you were on vacation because the office manager/busybody/boss would let everyone know...no bragging needed....Personal info is if you were having bunion surgery..but then again..someone would find out from someone else....so much for keeping things secret or personal at the office....

Old 02-27-2015, 03:19 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Not to be a downer but I've heard that folks in Hawai'i had BETTER love Hawai'i because going beyond their own islands will be really expensive - either to the mainland, Asia, or Australia. It's paradise...but the same paradise for years on end.

I've been to Maui twice now and I'm sure I'll return but I have other destinations as well.
Agreed! No doubt that I'd love Hawaii, but probably not so much that I wouldn't try to travel internationally every now and then (that's my hobby) or even to the mainland. Thus, the expense of traveling from Hawaii would seriously limit my desire to live there.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:16 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Have you experienced this from coworkers, those that can't travel or will not travel? Mostly this originates from those with families/kids who are not able to travel and those that give various other reasons why they can't travel.

There is a single guy at work who earns 6 figures and says he cannot afford to travel to Europe because it's "so expensive", I am like excuse me? what do you do with all your money? So he says that it's not enough vacation time since he gets sick a lot and needs sick time. But we get 3 weeks a year off in this place...surely it's enough to go somewhere Excuses.

I usually take 2 major vacations a year, a 2-week vacation around Nov and a smaller 1-week vacation around May. This in a company where virtually nobody takes time off. So, there is a tremendous amount of envy for the fact that I am "always traveling" and "it must be nice to have so much money, so much time, so much vacation" etc. etc. The truth is that now I am a full time employee and don't travel as much in this company. Prior to this I was a consultant and traveled at least 6 weeks out of the year since I got much more time off.

It just seems that many Americans hardly travel at all. If they take some time off it's a couple days here and there to stay home and chill. Which is fine, to each his own, but I don't understand envy. Each person has choices and they have to live with them. And if you don't/can't travel then don't hate on others for doing so.
This post hits home for me. My wife has experienced jealousy from her co-workers. I would describe the community we live in as being one where the overwhelming concerns are church and family. I'm not talking about just nuclear family either. Most people here think about extended family. It turns out, that we have very little in the way of extended family. We enjoy travel, but its a logical activity for us because family parties, family reunions, and visiting family is not really an option for us.

We do at least one major trip a year and we have a vacation home far away too.

My wife wouldn't dare tell her co-workers we are traveling to Europe, New Zealand, or even back East. She did that when she was younger and the reaction she encountered was awful. Several women she works with literally turned up their noses at her. The other women there clearly do not identify with someone whose entire life is not based around things right in her own community with extended family and church. Its so bad that she lies to co-workers about where she is going. She will insist she is just "hanging out a her home". Another time she told her co-workers we were taking our family to Disneyland. In fact, we visited Disneyland Paris during a trip to Europe.

I believe in living and letting live. We do not put down these people because they choose another lifestyle than ours. It does bother me that they can't even seem to relate to doing something different.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:51 PM

580 posts, read 777,510 times
Quote:
only if you are into just nature. If you like vibrant urban centers with culture and history and architecture, you are screwed being stuck in the US. Even San Francisco feels sterile and boring.

Because Toronto has more history, culture, and architecture than places like Boston or NYC?

Hilarious that someone from Toronto, home of the Eaton Center, is complaining about places being sterile.

But sure, Americans are insular.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:16 PM

294 posts, read 372,448 times
Quote:
I've heard San Francisco called many things, but rarely sterile or boring. I'd sincerely appreciate a list of cities you feel that are that far ahead of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel