Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 10:29 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,061,983 times

Advertisements

Family (the youngest in 24 years old) planing to visit the following five cities in June;
what would you suggest (things to see, to do...no bars, night clubs please) ?
  1. Inverness
  2. Glasgow
  3. Edinburgh
  4. Fort William
  5. Kyle of Lochalsh

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 12:41 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,761,648 times
I can only speak to Glasgow and Edinburgh and my advice won't be of any help to you since most of the attractions I would recommend are pubs. I hope you will loosen up and visit a pub. You haven't been to Scotland, otherwise. I ate most of my meals in pubs. Great way to meet the locals.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:30 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,084,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
Family (the youngest in 24 years old) planing to visit the following five cities in June;
  1. Inverness
  2. Glasgow
  3. Edinburgh
  4. Fort William
  5. Kyle of Lochalsh

Thanks!
Inverness and Fort William have very little of tourist interest; they're just towns that serve the local population with shopping, transportation facilities, etc. Kyle is barely a place much less a "city" these days, now that a bridge to Skye has removed the need for a ferry.

Glasgow and Edinburgh are world cities with an immense range of things to see and do. They have historic sites, castles, cathedrals, museums, music and food options galore... And each merits some research on your part; a sound bite answer is woefully inadequate.

How long do you have for the trip, do you have a car, what are your interests, your budget, and, frankly, your reasons for going there?

Old 03-15-2015, 02:56 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
While you're up around Edinburgh visit Dundee and St. Andrews.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:05 PM

16,679 posts, read 17,453,358 times
It would help if we knew a little about your interests- oh I see someone else mentioned that, but it's true!

One thing, and I don't want to put a damper on things, but if you're looking to head out into the wilds be aware of pesky midges. This year is predicted to be a bumper year for them.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:08 PM

4,617 posts, read 3,313,320 times
I second everyone else's thoughts. What does your family normally do? Outdoor activities? No problem. Museums? Definitely. Historic places? Ditto. Pubs? Easy. Tourist attractions? Yes. Scenery? Of course! Once you decide what kind of holiday it's going to be we can help you with ideas.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:13 PM

4,617 posts, read 3,313,320 times
P.S. Pubs in Britain are nothing like the bars and nightclubs in the US. They are social gatherings - all ages are welcome, there is often live entertainment of small Celtic or other groups, you can usually get food in them. They are staples of British culture and are family oriented.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:12 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,433,569 times
Stirling Castle and the Wallace Monument and while you are in that area the Queen Elizabeth park and Callander, the drive through the Trossachs is a treat.

North of Glasgow towards Loch Lomand take the A83 past Rest and Be Thankful .. visit Inverary, famous for its oysters. Onward towards Oban, stop for a wee walk around the standing stones at Kilmartin and onwards to Oban the gateway to the islands. If you don't want to cross to the Isle of Mull or Islay you can take the High road home or go on north to Loch Ness.

As others have noted bars in Scotland are nothing like the nightclubs and seedy bars you find in the US. Most serve either bar food or full dinners and it is definately worth trying some of the local Ales.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
P.S. Pubs in Britain are nothing like the bars and nightclubs in the US. They are social gatherings - all ages are welcome, there is often live entertainment of small Celtic or other groups, you can usually get food in them. They are staples of British culture and are family oriented.
Eh, yes and no. It really depends on the pub. There was one a few blocks from my holiday flat that catered to "yuppies" and was a very lively place with mostly 20 to early 30 year olds spilling outside and even into the street every night. It was not a place where families would have been welcomed.

As to food, some of the best we've had was in pubs, but also some of the worst.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:58 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,450,881 times
The glory of Scotland is the countryside, especially the highlands. I hope you're squeezing a few days in the highlands or western islands between those cities. Going to Scotland and not seeing the countryside is missing the point of going to Scotland!

Of all the places you listed, Edinburgh is the most impressive and tourist friends, by far. It is a lovely city, wonderful museums, wonderful activities, a nice dining scene and will keep you busy for a few days.

Glasgow is more of a mixed bag. It's not as visually appealing as Edinburgh but it has several interesting sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
  1. Inverness
  2. Glasgow
  3. Edinburgh
  4. Fort William
  5. Kyle of Lochalsh

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel