Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 11:23 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
This is a thread to share your timeshare vacation details.

Where did you go?

Kauai

Timeshare stayed in?

North Shore Wyndham Kauai

Places of interest?

nothing close by to us.

On sight activities and off sight activities?

On site ... nothing except the outdoor hot tub. Off site ... fishing, horseback riding, snorkeling, botanic gardens, farms and farm stores, fish markets. We drove over 600 miles in 6 days there to reach the places of interest to us on the island each day.

Meals prepared?

We only ate one meal out ... at Brennecke's Reef restaurant for lunch. All other meals we prepared ourselves, relying upon the wonderful selections of fresh fruits and veggies grown on the islands and the abundance of fish selections at the markets or the fish we caught ourselves. Our meals were fabulous and we used a small cooler to pack lunches for our daytime outings around the island. Made bannana's Foster for breakfasts along with sausages and eggs. Bought the local farm raised shrimp and grilled them or made ceviche or garlic shrimp with them. Broiled or grilled the local fish we bought or caught along with the fresh local veggies. Bought a fair amount of sashimi grade fish and made our own sashimi platters or sushi at home. Bought some of the island Poke fish dishes in bulk, too. Even though we spent several hundred dollars on food items while there, we couldn't have replicated the menu's we ate at restaurants for a couple hundred dollars per day for the 4 of us.

The locally grown avocados, onions, scallions, pineapple, and exotic stuff like starfruit were spectacular in flavor and eye appeal. Dragonfruit was a real treat. Even when we see these tropical exotic fruits at home in Asian markets, they simply don't compare to what we were getting fresh picked at the farms each day.

Owner or renter or guest of owner?

Points from our Wyndham timeshare in Colorado

Any hints to make the journey easier.

We found air b'n'b to be a far better deal for our lodging requirements in the islands. We've never stayed in the Wyndham resort with our deeded timeshare and the points system is a pain in the a** to use for the places that we want to go. We've even gotten better deals just finding lodging online at the last minute than this timeshare scam point deal. (the timeshare worked for my in-laws who looked forward to their annual golfing vacation ... but we aren't golfers, we want to travel but aren't interested in big condo complexes far removed from the things of interest to us. Beach resorts to lay around in the sun and drink all day don't appeal to us. Big city downtown condo resorts don't appeal to us, either.)

Where did you shop?
roadside farmer's markets, and the supermarkets in Lihue. Other than groceries and foodstuffs, we bought a few bottles of wine and some booze for the Banana's Foster. Bought some gift macadamia nuts and island coffee to take back to the folks that had so kindly watched our farm/ranch livestock, cats and dogs while we were away (and we reciprocate with them when they leave for their vacations).

If you plan on using your timeshare, it may be worth it to you. Otherwise, these are a terrible use of your discretionary money. For us, we've spent the last 5 months trying to find a place of interest to us where we could travel and use our points to exchange for a vacation trip. We have a limited time frame due to other obligations and were willing to be very flexible. Of the few possible places to stay, none had an opening for us even when trying to book a year in advance. So we're headed overseas for this year's vacation and we'll just find b'n'b's as we wander in the area of our interest. We're giving up our deeded timeshare and will be happy to see the maintenance fee expense done with.

One of the biggest impositions upon our vacation time was the "mandatory presentation" that we had to attend at the timeshare resort. What was billed as a 1 1/2 hour affair turned into over 3 hours of some of the hardest sell confrontations we've ever experienced. We repeatedly told the sales people that we had no resources to buy an upgrade and had no interest in buying one, either. Nevertheless, we got churned and turned over to many layers of sales pros who had nothing in their bag of tricks but to pressure us into the same stuff the rep before them was trying to sell us. Even when the "sales manager" turned us over to be "checked out", that turned into another 20 minutes of presentation followed by 20 minutes for the desk clerk to reiterate the same questions about whether or not we'd heard the various aspects of the presentations. They were pressuring us to "upgrade" for various amounts, ranging from $150,000 to $175,000.

What they refused to understand and accept was that we have other obligations which limit our time to get away for vacations. It's not optional when you've got a working farm and several hundred head of livestock to keep. I could buy upgrades but I cannot buy more vacation time to get away and use them.

So be prepared for these hard sell tactics when you're using your timeshare points. It appears that a simple "no, not interested" is not sufficient to end the torture, even when you explain why you cannot justify spending any more money with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 11:20 AM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
roadside farmer's markets, and the supermarkets in Lihue. Other than groceries and foodstuffs, we bought a few bottles of wine and some booze for the Banana's Foster. Bought some gift macadamia nuts and island coffee to take back to the folks that had so kindly watched our farm/ranch livestock, cats and dogs while we were away (and we reciprocate with them when they leave for their vacations).

If you plan on using your timeshare, it may be worth it to you. Otherwise, these are a terrible use of your discretionary money. For us, we've spent the last 5 months trying to find a place of interest to us where we could travel and use our points to exchange for a vacation trip. We have a limited time frame due to other obligations and were willing to be very flexible. Of the few possible places to stay, none had an opening for us even when trying to book a year in advance. So we're headed overseas for this year's vacation and we'll just find b'n'b's as we wander in the area of our interest. We're giving up our deeded timeshare and will be happy to see the maintenance fee expense done with.

One of the biggest impositions upon our vacation time was the "mandatory presentation" that we had to attend at the timeshare resort. What was billed as a 1 1/2 hour affair turned into over 3 hours of some of the hardest sell confrontations we've ever experienced. We repeatedly told the sales people that we had no resources to buy an upgrade and had no interest in buying one, either. Nevertheless, we got churned and turned over to many layers of sales pros who had nothing in their bag of tricks but to pressure us into the same stuff the rep before them was trying to sell us. Even when the "sales manager" turned us over to be "checked out", that turned into another 20 minutes of presentation followed by 20 minutes for the desk clerk to reiterate the same questions about whether or not we'd heard the various aspects of the presentations. They were pressuring us to "upgrade" for various amounts, ranging from $150,000 to $175,000.

What they refused to understand and accept was that we have other obligations which limit our time to get away for vacations. It's not optional when you've got a working farm and several hundred head of livestock to keep. I could buy upgrades but I cannot buy more vacation time to get away and use them.

So be prepared for these hard sell tactics when you're using your timeshare points. It appears that a simple "no, not interested" is not sufficient to end the torture, even when you explain why you cannot justify spending any more money with them.
I am supposed to be on a list to never receive another one of these "upgrades." I have a real estate brokers license and have started to get my kicks from these talks by pointing out the wrong information I am receiving. We left one talk and my husband said, "You must have upset that girl. I said, "Why?" He said, "Didn't you see her break her pencil?" All I did was ask her to put the information she had told me on paper so I could see how it worked. I had already read the website and had considered what she was saying but had figured out we would basically be gaining nothing to do what she wanted us to. Yes, I hate the talks too. We got a call last week to come stay a week in Myrtle Beach for $149 and end up getting that money back plus $50. No, thank you was the answer.

I really made one of the presenters mad at one when I timed the presentation and told him we had agreed to a certain amount of time and had no intention to spend the entire day with them.

I heard one lady telling them she had been told the amount of time the presentation would take and they had to leave because they had another activity planned and had already paid for it.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:50 PM

285 posts, read 385,906 times
I just got back from a vacation at the Vidanta Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya with my wife and inlaws. They are "owners"(?) there. A free breakfast and short tour of new developments (I left after breakfast) turned into 12 total hours (over two days) of high pressure sales tactics to buy more upgrades, patronizing attitudes ("Can you not afford it or do you not want it?" - they are actually wealthy), fluffing the rental potential, etc. etc.

Not sure why some people treat these as investments (or say they do), but don't go through the same due diligence, and give in to high pressure Glengarry Glen Ross tactics.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:03 PM

I bought a timeshare because it is like pulling teeth to get my dh to go on vacation anywhere. The maintenance on the timeshare is about the same as staying in a hotel and we get to stay in a condo instead. The maintenance is paid automatically and same husband is not going to pay for something and not use it.

I bought the timeshare, paid for it by borrowing from my credit union and the payment came out of my salary check. I love going on vacation anywhere from one, two, or three and sometimes four times a year. Our granddaughter is graduating from college at the end of the week. Hotels in that area are sold out solid. But I have RCI. I was able to get a two bedroom condo about 1/2 hour from the college for less than $250 including taxes for the whole week!

This is not the first time I have been able to get space in a condo when hotels were sold out. Condo's are mostly rented to owners. I got a special on this one that is even less than RCI Last Calls. Since we have two bedrooms, our daughter who lives about an hour away from the college may be staying with us so she will be closer to the college also. Graduation starts at 9 A. M.

If my husband goes before I do, timeshares are usually pretty safe because the owners are like your next door neighbors. Instead of staying in a motel from home to the timeshares, I think I would go from one timeshare to the next using the RCI Last calls and staying a week at each one. That would take some planning but I know people who do this and never have to use a hotel. Now we are retired, we could almost live in timeshares and the best part is the maid comes at the end of the week. I am running into more and more people who are living in timeshares. Some rent from RCI and others own enough points. That is one way not to be bored in retirement. Get tired of where you live just call and arrange to move somewhere else. RCI is worldwide. Look at post #2 on this thread. Love that couple. They are really enjoying retirement and not spending a lot of money.

Last edited by NCN; 05-01-2017 at 05:42 PM..

Old 11-11-2017, 10:36 AM

Where did you go? North Myrtle Beach

Timeshare stayed in? Wyndham Westwinds--oceanfront 2 bedroom
https://www.bing.com/search?q=wyndha...=1510422210122

Places of interest? Brunswick Town in North Carolina--We had visited here years ago when our children were elementary age and wanted to go back. http://www.nchistoricsites.org/brunswic/brunswic.htm

On sight activities and off sight activities? Water exercises Tuesday-Friday were a great workout and the water was warm. Down the elevator, take a few steps forward and I was there. At home I get in the car and drive more than ten miles to do this.

Weather was miserable on Thursday so we played Bingo.

Meals prepared? Didn't turn the stove on. Ate out and there were lots of choices.

Owner or renter or guest of owner? Owner at another location of Wyndham.

Any hints to make the journey easier. Come South on Highway 17 and turn left at 33rd Avenue drive until you dead end in the street and turn right for a few feet. Very quiet street for North Myrtle Beach. Great location. Friendly and helpful staff. I love this place!

Where did you shop? Went to Lane Bryant looking for a new swim suit and was very disappointed at the selection. Went next door at a discount store and hubby found two belts. I dragged him shopping and he was the one to find something he needed. Is that fair?

We bought Brunswick Town T-shirts with a picture of the church ruins with a cannon in front on the back and NC Historic Sites written on the front. Mine is red and his is blue.

Last edited by NCN; 11-11-2017 at 12:01 PM..

Old 11-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Where did you go? Myrtle Beach for our 53rd anniversary trip.

Timeshare stayed in? Wyndham Seawatch Villas in Seawatch Plantation--two bedroom sleeps 8.

Places of interest? We had plans to do some things but discovered family was visiting in the area and spent time with my husband's sister and her husband and our son, his wife and four children and his in-laws.

On sight activities? Had one of those horrible updates. Spent time on the beach. Played bingo in hot sun while we waited for time to leave for dinner. Got so hot we had to rush back to our condo and change into dry clothes. You have to do a lot of walking at this timeshare. It is more like a village.

And off sight activities?

Went to dinner at Ella's in Calabash with the couple I mentioned. Ordered from the senior menu. Good food and good company.

Went to Oak Island where our son we hadn't seen for a while was vacationing with his family and in-laws in a beachfront house and picked him up, visited with everybody there and brought him to spend one night with us.

We ate dinner at Benjamin's Calabash. It was a little overwhelming with so many choices and was a huge place. You needed a map to find a way to the rest room! They got the buffet and I did the salad buffet.

Lunch the day we took him back to Oak Island was at Mellow Mushroom, our son's choice. We all enjoyed it.

Where did you shop? We drove to Walmart for milk, etc. and hubby went inside in the rain while I stayed in the dry car. It was pouring rain!

Meals prepared? Don't remember preparing anything but breakfast. Myrtle Beach has great food choices.

Owner or renter or guest of owner? Owner at Wyndham Seawatch North Tower.

Any hints to make the journey easier. Just say no to the update next time. They said one hour but took the only three hours of sunshine that day. I was not a happy camper!

Last edited by NCN; 11-11-2017 at 11:51 AM..

Old 11-12-2017, 11:19 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,735,467 times
I've owned one since about 1986 and have gone many places, some twice. Mostly in the US. Costs are rising and I'm mostly a solo traveler these days so it isn't as cheap as it was when the family travelled. I enjoy having one comfortable place as a base for exploring and enjoying a vacation area...even if it is a fishing trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel