Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, I just looked through my tackle box (18x16x12 cm, snap top lid), which was for a 6-week trip:
--Extra LED flashlight
--magnifying glass *
--Clothes pins *
--12 feet of clothesline (blind cord) *
--Shoe lace
-- Baggie ties
-- Mini Leatherman tool
--Swiss army knife *
--Scissors *
--Nail clipper *
--Rubber bands *
--Mini-tube superglue
--Batteries *
--Spoon *
--Pill bottle of assorted OCDs *
--Pill bottle of skin cream *
--Charger adapter *
--Extension cord for 2-foot charger. *
--Duct tape
--3 ball point pens *
--A Sharpie *
--A few dental floss sticks. *
(* = things I actually used)
Toiletries kit is separate carryon: soap, razor, toothpaste, toothbrush, Rx drugs/vitamins..

It takes up the space of one shirt, I took everything out and I can just jam one shirt into the box. And everything is easy to find, even by feel in the dark. Of course, if I were just going on a business trip or a long weekend, or to visit family, or to just unpack at a resort, I wouldn't have taken any of those things along.
It takes the space of five of my shirts as I wear a lot of silk knits. I don't carry most of that, no reason. I do carry a tiny LED flashlight, nail clipper, pen, and dental floss picks. That's about it. Nothing I would ever pack in a special box for. Most of it just lives in my small toiletry bag which is currently the bag from the BA First amenity kit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 01:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It takes the space of five of my shirts as I wear a lot of silk knits. I don't carry most of that, no reason. I do carry a tiny LED flashlight, nail clipper, pen, and dental floss picks. That's about it. Nothing I would ever pack in a special box for. Most of it just lives in my small toiletry bag which is currently the bag from the BA First amenity kit.
No, you're right, there is no reason to. And as I stated clearly, if I traveled the way you do, I wouldn't either. But some people in travelforumdom travel the way I do, and might find something useful among my experiences.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:08 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
I keep two travel lists on my iPhone: 1 for things to remember to pack, 1 for things to remember to do before leaving home. When we're on the road and departing from a hotel or rental, I check the "pack" list to make sure I have everything.

We have an 8" tall rectangular bag with a zipper around the top so you can flip the lid to the back. Inside it is a plastic basket. We keep a full set of toiletries and implements in there, bottles standing upright. Between us, we're on 3 meds and I keep 3 empty pill bottles in the bag. When we're ready to go, I do a quick check to make sure there's sufficient quantity of everything and I load the pill bottles. When we're at a hotel/motel enroute or at our designation, I set the bag on the bathroom counter and we do all our grooming from the bag, never unpack it.

We have a similar bag for our electronics and chargers. I keep a laminated list in the bag showing everything it should contain. When we pack at home or leave a room or rental, we check the list against the contents.

These stay in the car all the time so we don't have to pack them:
DH's small toolbox with things like duct tape, clothespins, etc.
A duffel with binoculars, umbrellas, sun hats, a tripod, water bottles, thermoses, collapsible walking sticks, a small backpack, and a 1st aid kit.
A small picnic cooler with all the supplies needed (except food).

Normally we stay from 10-30 days at one vacation rental with perhaps a stop or 2 enroute. But last year we did a 13-day trip that included 8 different motel and national park lodge stays. We had no problem unpacking/packing quickly. Nothing got left behind.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:58 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ackpacker View Post
Double check everything in hotel room before leaving
You’ll need to go through your list of items again. It can be difficult for you to get any items that you may have left behind when you come back home.
Here is my method: Look around the room--see anything that is mine, tuck it in the suitcase. Go through my list again? Who has time for that?!

Old 09-01-2015, 06:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Being blind is very good practice for being organized. I can't just "look around the room" to see if I've forgotten anything. I usually ask another person (fellow traveler or hotel staff) to make a visual check of the room before I check out.

I'm always careful to put everything away immediately after I finish using it. And for each item, "away" is always in its designated place. For example, when I go to bed at night, I put my glasses and white cane in a shoe.

On my last trip, I mislaid a ball point pen on the third day, and resolved to be more careful, and over the next six weeks, I did not lose a single item.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:00 PM

388 posts, read 474,179 times
Great list, OP. We have lots of new travelers here to wish Bon Voyage to!

My Rx refills come with paper labels matching what's on the bottle. I take a set of labels with me in case I need to get more pills in Europe or wherever. Takes less space than taking all the pill bottles.

I've started to take a mini outlet extension box with surge protector and usb plug in my suitcase like this one
Discount Mini Surge Protector, USB Charger, Wall Mount, 918 Joules - Belkin Components Surge Protectors in stock at OfficeSuperSavers.com

Available outlets in hotel rooms seem to be getting scarcer.

Last edited by profnot; 12-29-2015 at 10:09 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 11:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Looks like an advertisement of some sort to me.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:42 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Looks like an advertisement of some sort to me.
Maybe it is. But I'm buying one of those!

Old 12-30-2015, 11:48 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
My sister needs to read this. She is terrible at leaving things behind. I recall once when she lost her passport on the day of the trip Thankfully, she found it with just enough time to spare, but it was a close one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel