Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:02 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be going to France for my honeymoon.
We will be taking a 7 day river cruise of Southern France which we are looking forward to, which was given as a gift.
We will have one day/night in Paris prior to the cruise..and then after we will have 5 nights there.

Still don't have hotels booked , which is obviously crucial. Our trip will be Oct 5 -19th ..so coming up!

I have been doing quite a bit of research for while and I have been to Paris before but it was many years ago as a child. It will be my fiancee's first time in Europe.

Mainly I'm wondering :

What is the best neighborhood to stay in? I was reading stuff online and they mentioned it's not a good idea to stay near the Louvre area and some other areas as there isn't much going on as far as being able to walk to restaurants, shops,etc. I think it would probably be nice to stay in an area that is relatively walkable.

Any suggestions about specific hotels would be great. I know of course there are a lot of luxury hotels..but unfortunately the $1,000 a night places are out of my price range. Looking for somewhere nice but not crazy expensive. It is for our honeymoon though. Also considering Airbnb, but I haven't used it before in any city. Don't really want any surprises and stuff.

The first day we will probably be pretty tired from the flight from L.A , and then will be taking another plane the next day so it will be mostly a stopover. I don't know if we want to just stay by an airport hotel though since it would probably be nice to get at least a little taste of Paris. We will be arriving about 1:30pm.

We plan to see the must see attractions like the Louvre , go up the Eiffel tower, Notre Dame . Perhaps one or two other museums. We enjoy museums, but would like to spend more time doing stuff like walking the arrondissements.

Looks like there are still tickets online for the Louvre ..I know the line is long especially without tickets ahead of time ..just thinking of what time and day to get tickets for.
I know that a lot of people talk about how massive it is and that you could spend days or weeks looking at all the art ..so I'm guessing this will mostly be a full day? How long have you spent there usually?

Unfortunately the Eiffel Tower tickets seem to be sold out online..I have read that it's best to go really early and get in line. Any idea how long it might take in mid October..I know people say summer crowds are a lot worse..

I know there is a Paris museum pass, but I don't know if it will be worth it for us.
I know there is a hop on hop off bus , which might be helpful just to get an overview I suppose. I know the metro is supposed to be pretty easy to use and has many stops too though.

I'm considering Disney Paris..but I know of course it would take up a day and I don't know if it's worth it. My fiancee is a pretty big Disney fan , so it would be cool to check it out I suppose...but not sure if it's worth taking up a whole day.

Also was wondering about some practical things like ability to use our phones there. We have Iphone 6's . I had read something about being able to use a sim card..but I don't think the iphone has a sim card.
It would be nice to have internet access on a cell phone just incase we needed to look stuff up while out. I also don't know how common wifi is at hotels there...or at cafes,etc ..I'm guessing less than in U.S .

I'm also thinking of possibly using Uber there and would need internet access for that of course.

Appreciate any advice in advance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 01:03 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,795,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I'm going to be going to France for my honeymoon.
We will be taking a 7 day river cruise of Southern France which we are looking forward to, which was given as a gift.
We will have one day/night in Paris prior to the cruise..and then after we will have 5 nights there.

Still don't have hotels booked , which is obviously crucial. Our trip will be Oct 5 -19th ..so coming up!

I have been doing quite a bit of research for while and I have been to Paris before but it was many years ago as a child. It will be my fiancee's first time in Europe.

Mainly I'm wondering :

What is the best neighborhood to stay in? I was reading stuff online and they mentioned it's not a good idea to stay near the Louvre area and some other areas as there isn't much going on as far as being able to walk to restaurants, shops,etc. I think it would probably be nice to stay in an area that is relatively walkable.

Any suggestions about specific hotels would be great. I know of course there are a lot of luxury hotels..but unfortunately the $1,000 a night places are out of my price range. Looking for somewhere nice but not crazy expensive. It is for our honeymoon though. Also considering Airbnb, but I haven't used it before in any city. Don't really want any surprises and stuff.

The first day we will probably be pretty tired from the flight from L.A , and then will be taking another plane the next day so it will be mostly a stopover. I don't know if we want to just stay by an airport hotel though since it would probably be nice to get at least a little taste of Paris. We will be arriving about 1:30pm.

We plan to see the must see attractions like the Louvre , go up the Eiffel tower, Notre Dame . Perhaps one or two other museums. We enjoy museums, but would like to spend more time doing stuff like walking the arrondissements.

Looks like there are still tickets online for the Louvre ..I know the line is long especially without tickets ahead of time ..just thinking of what time and day to get tickets for.
I know that a lot of people talk about how massive it is and that you could spend days or weeks looking at all the art ..so I'm guessing this will mostly be a full day? How long have you spent there usually?

Unfortunately the Eiffel Tower tickets seem to be sold out online..I have read that it's best to go really early and get in line. Any idea how long it might take in mid October..I know people say summer crowds are a lot worse..

I know there is a Paris museum pass, but I don't know if it will be worth it for us.
I know there is a hop on hop off bus , which might be helpful just to get an overview I suppose. I know the metro is supposed to be pretty easy to use and has many stops too though.

I'm considering Disney Paris..but I know of course it would take up a day and I don't know if it's worth it. My fiancee is a pretty big Disney fan , so it would be cool to check it out I suppose...but not sure if it's worth taking up a whole day.

Also was wondering about some practical things like ability to use our phones there. We have Iphone 6's . I had read something about being able to use a sim card..but I don't think the iphone has a sim card.
It would be nice to have internet access on a cell phone just incase we needed to look stuff up while out. I also don't know how common wifi is at hotels there...or at cafes,etc ..I'm guessing less than in U.S .

I'm also thinking of possibly using Uber there and would need internet access for that of course.

Appreciate any advice in advance .
I can't answer everything but I will recommend taking a hop on hop off bus. It is a good way to see the city and if you are on the top you can get some great pictures. I'm not sure if one company is that much better than the others.

Your iPhone does have a SIM card but you may first want to check with your carrier about what they can offer you for international travel, some companies, may allow you use data for free (I think T-mobile does this) others will unlock your phone so that you can use an international carrier's SIM card, and if your carrier doesn't allow either you may want to buy a cheap phone that you can activate when you arrive. Also check to see if your carrier offers WiFi calling, you will be able to use your current phone to make and receive calls to home with no charge as long as you have a WiFi connection but will be charged if you make a call to a Paris number. If you have WiFi calling and can put a local SIM in your phone use one phone for the calls to home and the other for local calls

I was in Paris in May and found it pretty easy to find WiFi nearly every restaurant we went to had it available and oftentimes we could duck into a hotel and use their WiFi in the lobby without needing a special code.

We used Uber and generally didn't have problems, I used WiFi calling and the drivers would call my US number when they arrived. Uber was definitely less expensive than cabs but make sure to research what is going on with Uber in Paris since they had some problems with the taxi industry a while ago over their cheaper options.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:24 AM

Thanks for your tips and advice .

I'll look more into the hop on hop off . That's a good point about being able to get good photos if on top . I know that some people hate those and think of them as way too touristy . But we WILL be tourists , of course not a fan of tourists traps but I guess that's all relative.

I have taken those types of buses in NYC and some other cities before and it does seem to help to get a general overview of the city .

I was also considering perhaps a guided tour or walking tour .. I know there isn't a ton of time so I know stuff may be booked .

interesting about the wifi calling I didn't think of that I just think of wifi calling in terms of using it for Skype , or maybe FaceTime calls .

One thing I'm a little worried about is not knowing much French but I've heard the French nowadays especially the younger generation speak English more . I can actually understand some French and can read some of it, but not really comfortable speaking it

Also been reading about French etiquette and the importance of saying bonjour when entering stores , etc .

Old 09-17-2015, 06:51 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,304,629 times
A good place where I have stayed is on Rue Monge. It is a very central place (10-15mins walk from the centre) and the Eiffel Tower is easy to get to by the train.

One of the great places in France is the palace of versailles, it is very nice even coming from a person who doesn't really like museums/gardens etc.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
It's up to you, but personally, there isn't anything in the world I would stand in line to see. If the Louvre and Eiffel Tower disappeared, Paris would still be Paris. It brings to mind my beleaguered thread of a month ago about places you went to just to be able to say you went there. Not trying to sway your interests or plans, but something to think about on a short vacation and how you prioritize your time.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:19 PM

556 posts, read 946,763 times
Look into the Citadines "aparthotel" chain - rooms are studio or one bedroom apartments with a full kitchen. It has most of the conveniences of a hotel - 24 hour front desk, bag check, more confidence that the room will be in good condition. I've only stayed in the one near the Louvre, and it was great, but there are several locations throughout the city.

The museum pass can be worth it if only to skip the lines at the major museums. Put together a list of museums you want to see, and compared the combined admission with the pass. Even if the pass is a little bit more, bypassing lines can substantially improve the overall experience.

I prefer Musee d'Orsay to the Louvre, but that really comes down to taste in art. I think Notre Dame is worth a visit, but the view from the tower is not worth the extra cost and time. The view from Arc de Triomphe is OK during the day, but fantastic at night. My favorite sight in Paris is Sainte Chapelle, especially on a sunny day.

In my experience, general politeness is more important than being able to really speak French. Definitely say hello (bonjour/bonsoir, literally good day/good evening) when entering a store or restaurant, say goodbye when you leave (au revoir), please (s'il vous plaît) and thank you (merci) when appropriate. Don't assume people speak French - ask "parlez-vous anglais" before starting in English. If you are flying Air France, or otherwise have flight attendants who are French, practice on the flight over. On my last trip, just those few niceties lead to better service in flight - the flight attendant had an extra premium economy meal, and gave it to me. He was also especially with drink service, and never let me go thirsty.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:34 PM

492 posts, read 638,399 times
I'd suggest staying on the left bank. You are just a bridge away from the Louvre and Notre Dame, but in vibrant neighborhoods with lots of restaurants and cafes.

The Louvre is open until 9:45 on Wednesdays and Fridays. We found it very uncrowded on Friday nights. You can easily view the art without crowds in front of you. And if you want to do a quick walk through of the highlights its quite possible. We didn't find a line for entrance last September.

You might consider either a bike tour or Segway tour. The best Segway tour we ever took was the Paris after dark with Fat Tire Tours. You see much more than you can get to either on the hop on hop off or a walking tour.

As for climbing the Notre Dame bell tower, I found that to have the most unique views of Paris. However, we stayed in Paris, in a little apartment across from the line for Notre Dame, for the month of September, and there wasn't a time or day it got any shorter. It's just a long line.

Make a picnic by shopping at the local markets and eat on the bank of the Siene. It's amazing.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodleman556 View Post
A good place where I have stayed is on Rue Monge. It is a very central place (10-15mins walk from the centre) and the Eiffel Tower is easy to get to by the train.

One of the great places in France is the palace of versailles, it is very nice even coming from a person who doesn't really like museums/gardens etc.
Thanks for the suggestion of Rue Monge, I'll look into that area more. Sounds like a good option.

I had been thinking of Versailles and considering it. I know online some people felt it wasn't worth the time, but others say it is a must see. I know it is a little out of the city about 15 miles.. but looks like it would be about 1 hour by public transit?.. I know there are tours too..but I know some people mentioned they liked to go on their own so they could go on their own time and not be constrained by the tour bus schedule.

I think it is the type of thing my fiancee would enjoy and I've been curious about visiting it too. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's up to you, but personally, there isn't anything in the world I would stand in line to see. If the Louvre and Eiffel Tower disappeared, Paris would still be Paris. It brings to mind my beleaguered thread of a month ago about places you went to just to be able to say you went there. Not trying to sway your interests or plans, but something to think about on a short vacation and how you prioritize your time.
Yeah I understand what you mean. I know there is a ton of other things to see in Paris too.
I'm pretty sure she wants to go to both as she did ask me if I booked tickets ..but it also seems she doesn't want to be too involved with the planning. She's focusing on a lot of the other wedding details.

Good point about prioritizing on a shorter trip. I've been trying to make a list of Must See places...plus some good options for things that would be nice to check out.

Trying to find a balance between having some attractions/things to do planned and also having time to leisurely enjoy the city...Walking and checking out neighborhoods is something we enjoy and I know that is a big part of Paris.
Plus we will be on our honeymoon so we'll want to kind of take our time with meals ,etc and not feel like we have to rush so much.

As far as museums I know she does want to see the Louvre..and I expect that to be pretty much a full day at least.
I was also thinking to checkout maybe something a little different , like the Chocolate Museum..sounds like it would be fun...and probably wouldn't have near as many crowds as the big museums.

A lot of people say the Musee de'Orsay is a must see too, not sure what others here think. Do you think both Musee d'Orsay and Louvre are must see's ?

Old 09-17-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
Look into the Citadines "aparthotel" chain - rooms are studio or one bedroom apartments with a full kitchen. It has most of the conveniences of a hotel - 24 hour front desk, bag check, more confidence that the room will be in good condition. I've only stayed in the one near the Louvre, and it was great, but there are several locations throughout the city.

The museum pass can be worth it if only to skip the lines at the major museums. Put together a list of museums you want to see, and compared the combined admission with the pass. Even if the pass is a little bit more, bypassing lines can substantially improve the overall experience.

I prefer Musee d'Orsay to the Louvre, but that really comes down to taste in art. I think Notre Dame is worth a visit, but the view from the tower is not worth the extra cost and time. The view from Arc de Triomphe is OK during the day, but fantastic at night. My favorite sight in Paris is Sainte Chapelle, especially on a sunny day.

In my experience, general politeness is more important than being able to really speak French. Definitely say hello (bonjour/bonsoir, literally good day/good evening) when entering a store or restaurant, say goodbye when you leave (au revoir), please (s'il vous plaît) and thank you (merci) when appropriate. Don't assume people speak French - ask "parlez-vous anglais" before starting in English. If you are flying Air France, or otherwise have flight attendants who are French, practice on the flight over. On my last trip, just those few niceties lead to better service in flight - the flight attendant had an extra premium economy meal, and gave it to me. He was also especially with drink service, and never let me go thirsty.
Thanks for recommending Citadines chain. I took a quick look at their website , looks like they do have a bunch of locations in Paris. It would be nice to have a little bit bigger of a room..as I imagine most Paris hotel rooms are quite tiny..like the ones in NYC.

That was an appealing part of the Paris museum pass...maybe it would be worth it to get one just for the skip the line ability.
Do you still have to wait in some type of line even with the Paris museum pass for the louvre ?
I would probably get the 4 day pass.
Do you recommend ordering it online ahead of time or is it pretty easy to get one at an office there? It looks like there are quite a few places to buy one including the airport. I looked about having one shipped..but doesnt seem to be worth it as its like $25 euros to USA.

Thanks for your suggestions .

The advice about saying bonjour ,etc is what I've been hearing. There are some cool podcasts about Paris/France including the Rick Steeves podcast..and they have people that live in France speak about this kind of culture or etiquette..in the U.S we expect the employees to say Hello but in France it seems to be the opposite.

We will be flying Air France actually. So that's a good suggestion too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel