Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:06 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,743,239 times

Advertisements

Addressing the original poster, I would not tip in a restaurant with the service system you describe. If I were able to speak to someone in charge I would ask just what task they are doing that merits a tip.

There is a Boston Market near where I live that has this weird hybrid of service/self-service where you order at the counter, the cashier takes your money then takes the dishes to the table for you (if it is slow, that is; when it's busy, they just give you your food). There is a drink dispenser machine, so no one is refilling your glass except you. Though none of the staff 'waits tables', you are expected to leave your plates on the table when you leave; a staff member busses the table after you leave. I'm left with an uncertain feeling every time I go there because they seem to refuse to adhere to one style of service (fast food/do it yourself) or another (waiting on you/bringing your stuff to a table). I'm not sure if this is how Boston Market conducts themselves at all their locations, but ours doesn't hint about tipping or do the tip jar thing; it feels weird because I was taught that you tip if someone else is cleaning up behind you...but I've never seen any tips left there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 02:54 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Addressing the original poster, I would not tip in a restaurant with the service system you describe. If I were able to speak to someone in charge I would ask just what task they are doing that merits a tip.

There is a Boston Market near where I live that has this weird hybrid of service/self-service where you order at the counter, the cashier takes your money then takes the dishes to the table for you (if it is slow, that is; when it's busy, they just give you your food). There is a drink dispenser machine, so no one is refilling your glass except you. Though none of the staff 'waits tables', you are expected to leave your plates on the table when you leave; a staff member busses the table after you leave. I'm left with an uncertain feeling every time I go there because they seem to refuse to adhere to one style of service (fast food/do it yourself) or another (waiting on you/bringing your stuff to a table). I'm not sure if this is how Boston Market conducts themselves at all their locations, but ours doesn't hint about tipping or do the tip jar thing; it feels weird because I was taught that you tip if someone else is cleaning up behind you...but I've never seen any tips left there.
Yes, this hybrid service/self service situation is confusing when it comes to tipping! A friend and I like to meet at a La Madeleine for lunch. Same situation. You order at the counter, get your own drinks, but there is some service/attention. I leave a couple of dollars on the table when I leave. Not a tip based on the amount I spent.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:58 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,674 times
What do you guys think about how Menchie's has a tip jar when you get your own yogurt and toppings, and the only thing the employee does is ring you up? I think it's ridiculous that a tip is expected for that!

Old 04-21-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
What do you guys think about how Menchie's has a tip jar when you get your own yogurt and toppings, and the only thing the employee does is ring you up? I think it's ridiculous that a tip is expected for that!
That is ridiculous, IMO. We have some places like that in my area as well and it makes no sense. I read a local article about this phenomenon and learned that it is sometimes not management who has set up the tip jar but rather employees, when the owner or manager is away.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:28 PM

461 posts, read 508,833 times
I asked a manager at a self service buffet about tipping, because they do clear off your table and he said the waitresses only make $2.00 an hour so it's up to you.... But most people don't think to tip at a self service place like that so how sad!

Old 04-22-2016, 11:29 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,099 times
I would not tip at the restaurant the OP described. Overall, I am not a big fan of American tipping system as I feel it allows wealthy business owners to grossly underpay their staff...

Many countries in Europe/Asia do not require tipping in restaurants and never ask for it. They would of course accept and thank you for a small tip...

Old 04-22-2016, 11:33 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
I asked a manager at a self service buffet about tipping, because they do clear off your table and he said the waitresses only make $2.00 an hour so it's up to you.... But most people don't think to tip at a self service place like that so how sad!

I would've loved to tell him: "No it is up to you and your management/owners to pay fair wages to your employees. It is not up to general public to subsidize your establishment..."

I doubt I would've actually said that...

Old 04-22-2016, 11:59 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
That is ridiculous, IMO. We have some places like that in my area as well and it makes no sense. I read a local article about this phenomenon and learned that it is sometimes not management who has set up the tip jar but rather employees, when the owner or manager is away.
Actually, I contacted Menchie's corporate, and they said it is their idea to have the tip jar for employees. However, employees are paid the normal minimum wage, not $2 and change per hour like a server would be, so they definitely do not merit being tipped.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:36 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again... tipping is generally screwed up. Somebody at a 5-star restaurant brings you $100 worth of food and drinks is supposed to get $20. The person at Applebee's or whatever only gets $4. Some will argue that the former's highly trained, VERY attentive to your very needs and whims... it still shouldn't be THAT MUCH of a disparity. I'd argue the latter can be very courteous and attentive to my needs too. I've known folks who would only tip the former only $5, and the latter $10, but I suppose that's for another thread.

Then you have those in Walmart who work hard to stock shelves all day, who are able to answer my questions as to where to find things, and takes me there. I've tipped such folks before, as they just saved me 4 to 10 minutes from wandering around aimlessly. I guess according to "our tipping system", he'd need to carry your bags, or load a small appliance into your car in order to warrant a tip.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
Actually, I contacted Menchie's corporate, and they said it is their idea to have the tip jar for employees. However, employees are paid the normal minimum wage, not $2 and change per hour like a server would be, so they definitely do not merit being tipped.
It's crazy and I don't understand it. We don't have that particular chain around here. I was referring to an article I read some time ago where it was suggested some of our local places were not supposed to have a tip jar at all, but employees were putting them out when not supervised. Hope you explained to Menchies corporate that this makes no sense. Would one tip the person working the cash register anywhere else? Even at a fine dining establishment (where you never deal at all with those cashing someone out)? No! You tip table service. Very frustrating.

Adding, just looked up this chain and it is in the DFW area, just not my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel