Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 AM

8,869 posts, read 8,454,383 times

Advertisements

Seoul. I really dislike Korean food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 09:33 AM

181 posts, read 493,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'd say my #1 disappointment is France. ... The worst for me was steaks, I don't like the way they prepare them in France and eventually gave up trying to find a good steak.
I agree. Did not care much for French food and found it too pricey.

About the steaks, I recently saw a documentary on steaks. Turns out that French cows are quite different from American cows, which is part of the difference. French cows are more lean and gristly, while American beef cattle are bred to have lots of fat. That makes a huge difference in the taste. Also, the U.S. is just better at preparing steaks. In the documentary, the U.S. was Number 1 in steaks (taste and preparation) worldwide. No surprise, really.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:58 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
We had some of the worst, and some of the best, vacation meals in St. Lucia. We've never had a bad meal in French St Martin. But, we really don't choose destinations based on the cuisine. As long as it's fresh and reasonably well prepared, we're satisfied.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:31 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,453,188 times
I was disappointed by how stingy they were with the olives in Greece. By contrast, Morocco serves them with every meal.

I found the food in Phoenix to be disappointing. Overly large portions of bland food.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:45 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
As much as I loved Thailand, I really didnt love the food

Boat noodles were awesome!!!

Everything else was just ok. I had better Pad Thai in New York City than I did in Thailand.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:46 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Oh come on, you have your choice of rice and beans OR beans and rice. They have it all.

LOL -- rice and beans separate in casado or rice and beans together in gallo pinto! It took about two days of it being yummy before we were tired of it!

Old 06-08-2016, 11:20 AM

36 posts, read 42,748 times
Cambodia. Love Thai food and Vietnamese, but gee, what happened in this country??

Old 06-08-2016, 01:11 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Obviously personal preference plays a big part here, two people can eat the same thing and have very different opinions. I'd be interested to know where you went expecting a greater culinary experience than you had.

I'd say my #1 disappointment is France.
Then you ate in the wrong places. Either that or you had the wrong expectations.

We had fabulous food every day that we were in France. Loved every bite.

For me the most disappointing food was in London. The best places I found there were all non-local ethnicities (i.e.: spanish, swedish, norwegian).

That doesn't mean it was the worst food, just the most disappointing. I had far worse food in Seoul, but I wasn't expecting much there.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:14 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
France. There is such a highly regarded reputation for French food. I've been to France on several occasions, to many cities, including Paris, and to different regions. To call the French food underwhelming is being charitable about it. Except for the fresh croissants and baguettes, which were good if you could get them freshly baked.

Britain, on the other hand has a sad reputation for food and I have eaten many excellent, superior meals in Britain. But you have to find out where the locals eat. Tourist places weren't so good. The excellent places tend to be out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:18 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Seoul. I really dislike Korean food.
I tend to agree with this assessment.
Bland, Bland and Blah.

Local culture food was rather underdone or raw in rather unsafe cooking practices....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel