Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird- View Post
Travel Forum Goers,

In two weeks I have the chance to travel and I'm not sure where to! I've posted before in the past and I've had pretty good experiences so you guys are amazing! For example, it was suggested that I visit San Francisco and boy did I love it!

I want to keep it in the States. I like to visit parks and places that have good scenery to take pictures, I love to eat and cook and consider myself a foodie so good food is a must. Video games are a big hobby of mine. I love peace and quiet but I was born and raised in NYC so I need some entertainment...bars...sociable people...beautiful women...with good music....decent transportation (I can drive now but do not wish to rent a car unless it is a must). I am 27 years old. I haven't done too much traveling so I'd like to try someplace NEW! In the States so far I have been to:

Philly, PA
San Francisco, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Orlando, FL
Houston, TX
Hickory, NC
Atlanta, GA
Virginia
D.C.
Jersey

I was considering a 5-night stay in Honolulu, Hawaii at Hilton Waikiki Beach, but I'd love to hear from others first. Thank you everyone for your time and input!
Honolulu and the island of Oahu have a pretty good bus system. You can get around reasonably easy if you take the time to learn about it. There are neat things to see all around the island. So, if I went there I would definitely plan on using the bus system and seeing the entire island rather than just staying on Waikiki. None of these attractions are within walking distance from Waikiki, but I couldn't imagine going to Honolulu without seeing them:

1. Hanauma Bay for swimming and snorkeling.

2. Polynesian Cultural Center.

3. Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor.

4. Sea Life Park

5. Various Buddhist Temples around the island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 10:01 AM

162 posts, read 153,837 times
My sister says that the amount I plan on spending in Hawaii ($2100 for plane ticket + accomodations alone, not including spending money) could get me an equivalent or better vacation elsewhere in the country so I've been reconsidering it but it's still an option. She's quite frugal and I'll admit that I'm not.... That's why I'm stumped and decided on posting for some suggestions

Old 07-31-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Honolulu and the island of Oahu have a pretty good bus system. You can get around reasonably easy if you take the time to learn about it. There are neat things to see all around the island. So, if I went there I would definitely plan on using the bus system and seeing the entire island rather than just staying on Waikiki. None of these attractions are within walking distance from Waikiki, but I couldn't imagine going to Honolulu without seeing them:

1. Hanauma Bay for swimming and snorkeling.

2. Polynesian Cultural Center.

3. Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor.

4. Sea Life Park

5. Various Buddhist Temples around the island.

Appreciate the list of things to do if I end up there!

Old 07-31-2016, 11:35 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Seattle
Portland
San Diego
Chicago
Durango
Denver
Salt Lake City
Lake Tahoe

Old 07-31-2016, 01:09 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I live in Honolulu (about a 5 minute drive from Waikiki). I think you'd enjoy yourself here, as it has all that you're looking for. When do you plan on traveling? Given that you're in NYC, if you're anything like me I'd recommend traveling over here (if you do decide to come this way) when it is snowy and cold in NY

Also, $2,100 for a plane ticket? That' seems unreasonably high. When do you plan on flying? And coach, business, first class??

Old 07-31-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I live in Honolulu (about a 5 minute drive from Waikiki). I think you'd enjoy yourself here, as it has all that you're looking for. When do you plan on traveling? Given that you're in NYC, if you're anything like me I'd recommend traveling over here (if you do decide to come this way) when it is snowy and cold in NY

Also, $2,100 for a plane ticket? That' seems unreasonably high. When do you plan on flying? And coach, business, first class??
With a name like prospectheightsresident I assume you're from BK?

I was thinking about going there next month. I have some time off from teaching since it's the summer.
The total cost of the plane ticket and hotel is $2100. The plane ticket is $1000 and the hotel is $1100 for 5 nights. Are you saying that's it's better to go during the winter or spring?

Old 07-31-2016, 02:59 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
With a name like prospectheightsresident I assume you're from BK?

I was thinking about going there next month. I have some time off from teaching since it's the summer.
The total cost of the plane ticket and hotel is $2100. The plane ticket is $1000 and the hotel is $1100 for 5 nights. Are you saying that's it's better to go during the winter or spring?
Right, you are

And, OK, that makes sense. I only suggested winter/spring, assuming that you're not a fan of the snow and cold. This way, you'd be able to have a tropical getaway over winter break. Otherwise, if you travel now, you'll just be going from one warm place to another. At least this is how my brain works. Of course, if this is the best time to travel for you and/or you don't feel like you'll need an escape from the cold/snow later on, then, by all means, travel this summer!

Old 07-31-2016, 03:40 PM

It's looking like a tie between Denver or Seattle for me. Has anyone ever been to either and can state pros and cons of both? Which one is the better choice?

Old 07-31-2016, 08:32 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
It's looking like a tie between Denver or Seattle for me. Has anyone ever been to either and can state pros and cons of both? Which one is the better choice?

Seattle is the better choice because there is more to do with the water and excursions to nearby attractions. Other places to consider are Chicago, Dallas, New Orleans, Boston, and Charleston. As a previous poster suggested, Charleston can be combined with Savannah or Myrtle Beach, or all three. Boston can be combined with other places in New England such as Cape Cod or the southern Maine coast.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:43 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
If you like SF, you'd like Seattle. And August is the perfect time to visit weatherwise.
Another option would be a few nights in Las Vegas ... perhaps combine it with a trip to San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel