Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 08:17 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Preparations and remedies will vary depending on the person. There have been several notes in this thread about airplane interiors being "too cold"; I find the exact opposite, even in the winter. The resulting advice would be to dress lightly. Try to pack your suit-jacked into a duffle-bag, so that it would not be necessary to wear it while seated.
One person's "it's too cold" is another person's "it's too hot"... also true of restaurants and office buildings.

The best advice in that regard, I guess is to dress in layers. There's a good explanation of plane cabin temperatures and the way they fluctuate here: Plane cabin temperature: Why flight cabin temperature is always too hot or too cold, and how to cope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 12:18 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
On a trip that long, I usually plan an overnight layover. ORD - HNL - AKL is a good example. Honolulu never looked so good!

Old 08-28-2016, 08:01 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Valium. Knocks you out. Waking up refreshed, well rested and generally anxiety free.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:36 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Travel Emirates or Qatar Airlines. Other long range for Asia carriers suck big time.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:59 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
I don't go in coach, but if I had to, I would wait until the next flight.

Really, there is nothing wrong with popping a quick nap in the isle.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:33 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
If the OP has a tablet, pre-load it with e-books to read as one can borrow free e-books from local libraries in the USA. As for pre-loading movies that might not be necessary depending on what type of tablet the OP has (android or Apple) and what airline & aircraft the OP is flying (as some airlines/aircraft allow android users use the tablets for free over the wifi system to watch available movies).

Always bring a sweater that can be removed if the temperature gets too hot and wear comfortable/clean socks or have booties socks to wear instead shoes to be more comfortable.

An empty bottle is always good to have as some airports have good water fountains. Also you can open a purchased canned drink and transfer whatever one is drinking immediately to an empty water bottle instead of carrying around an open can.

It is always good to carry some snacks. Although international flights give meals (and one can pre-order kosher, vegetarian, gluten-free, sodium-free versions) it is good to have something one likes for sure because one will be very hungry if they don't like the food served and snacks are a good backup.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:22 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
I'd ask your doctor about whether you need a blood thinner. I always take a shot of lovenox before I fly due to a previous DVT. Empty water bottle is also a must. Other than that I pack snacks, books, gum, tablet and extra drinks. I sometimes take a muscle relaxer to sleep as it works better for me than ambien. If you can upgrade your seat to the economy preferred it may be worth it just for a little extra leg room.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:58 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times
Thanks for all the info! Lots to look over here.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Came back last night from Mombassa-Nairobi-Amsterdam-Atlanta-Greenville flight with 1 hr, 9.25 hour, 8 hour and 30 minute flight segments and a 10 hour layover in Nairobi and 3 hours each in Amsterdam and Atlanta.

My advice

Use foreign airlines like KLM or Emirates. They treat you better than US carriers. Their food is better.
Have a minimum of at least 2 hour layover while coming to US. They screen you and your hand luggage at the intermediary stops ( Amsterdam for me) and again you go through additional screenings and checks before you get on the airline bound for US. One hour is not enough.
If you can get Global Entry it might make the reentry into USA easier.
I like aisle seats. Easier to get up and walk and use restrooms. And on many flights the windows are kept shut most of the time to prevent light hitting the entertainment screens.
Hydrate well ( I drink at the US airport water fountain with no problems) and don't consume too much booze on the flights.
Neck pillows and noise cancelling earphones are nice.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:26 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Noise canceling headphones that fit over your ear. I've done the third longest nonstop flight in the world (Houston to Dubai) as well as several other ultra-long-hauls.....on this most recent one to Egypt, I took some noise canceling headphones I got on Amazon, put the music from the entertainment system on low, and slept better than ever on an airplane. We also stayed up pretty much all night before boarding in the morning to come home, and that really helped me sleep better and fight off jetlag upon returning to my regular schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel